@ Tek (or zerg players)

About all I took away was "roach pre-patch 13 was imba."

Fixed.

But seriously, FF wasn't nerfed in any meaningful way by patch 13 (no one makes ultras because they're useless, colossi and thor are never going to be in position to be able to break a FF).

Maybe you should consider that when you're getting owned by FF (or anything else) that it's because the other player is better than you, not because FF (or anything else) is imbalanced. Before blaming imbalance, blame holes in your game. If you outplayed your opponent but still lost, then it's time to consider whether there's imbalance.

Whenever I lose, I can easily point out a number of things I did wrong that put me in a bad situation where it's (virtually) impossible to win. Honestly, I make so many mistakes and those mistakes have several orders of magnitude more influence on the outcome of the game than any possible imbalances, that it's impossible for me to meaningfully make any statements about balance.

If anything, pre-patch 13, zerg was the strongest race. They by far dominated the Asia server where there is the most talent. And most of top-level players I know, if they claimed any imbalance at all, said that zerg was a little stronger than the other two races.

I'm not trying to pick on you in particular, but I get really frustrated when people start blaming things on imbalance in the game when 99% of the time, the only imbalance is in skill. The only time I even considered imbalance was when I kept getting owned by mutalisks in PvZ, and I rage-quit one game. But then I learned to get blink, and it turned out I was just doing things incorrectly.

FF is powerful but I wouldn't call it imbalanced. Sentries are expensive 100 gas a piece and if someone has a few of them there tech is going to be way behind. It is expensive and if they are using it then they are not using guardian shield. There are situations where it can be very powerful like splitting an attacking force in half or delaying a rush but at most it delays a loss if the attacker has the larger force it probably is not the deciding factor.

I admit I'm not at the level of play where balance or imbalance factors in, but I've watched games played by pro players where Force Field leads to total annihilation of an otherwise equal Zerg army. If Blizzard felt Force Field was perfectly balanced as it was, then I don't think they would have introduced the massive unit counter in the latest patch (though I admit that the counter seems more about motivating Zerg players to build Ultralisks than nerfing Force Field).

Trust me; when I lose, I know it's because of a difference in skill level or because of certain errors I made. I don't recall encountering Force Field turning the tide of any match I've played. I'm just speaking as a casual observer who's watched a few replays and SC2 match YouTube videos.

I think it's also worth noting that the semi pros are still learning. New things are being learned all the time, and I expect the game to change a lot over the next several months and probably (hopefully) even years. With that said, I think some players get a bit too confident against protoss, and they may not realize just how much of a factor the sentry plays (I mean, it is a really innocent looking unit).

Back