Test Site Address

janc

I have begun implementing the new design for the site.  The address of the test site is http://www.janc.cpinternet.com/KoTnew/

The first step is implementing some of the current content in the new design.  Once this is done, I will begin adding new information and functionality.  The site is being designed in frames so I can pull information from other servers but still display it in the style of the new design as well as under the same URL.

Planned are:

- improved news using the news features from the ToJ site
-  more detailed information about the guild such as ranks and rules
- member info page pulled from Camelot Herald data
- expanded links section
- realm war status
- realm rank information
- race information
- combat style information
- spell information
- character planner
(for these last 4 pages, I will initially just link to the pages I have already developed for these for another guild site, since I have the databases and code in place already - this will allow me to get them running quickly, and make it so I only have to maintain one set of data)

Looks good Janc! I see now that it IS frames, just couldnt tell from the other pic you sent...
smile.gif
maybe you could call the Home page the Sanctuary? that's just an idea... I'm not technically a part of the family, but im stil ToJ! I think i still get a say! ;) Any-who, Sanctuary is a place of safety, and Home is sort of the same, so it's like a douvle meaning thing.... just a thought...

Hehe, I planned on renaming the links at some point, but was just concentrating on getting the pages set up today.

Well, I have most of the original content up, in addition to some new information. Who should I check with before making this live?

Might check the War page, looks like it is linked to wrong server. I do not think the mids have been without a relic for quite some time.

Hehe, oops - looks like I forgot to switch it from Igraine to Percival for this page.  I'll fix it right now...

Life without relics has been the norm for Midgard on Igraine.

Wow.

It's been...well, months since I've played Dark Age of Camelot and participated in our guild. I believe I was the last of the original eight founding members of Knights of the Trinity to quit the game, though I can't quite remember.

Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate janc on an incredible job. I saw the "Test Site Address" thread title on the ToJ forums page and just had to peek in. (I'd actually pulled up the daoc subdirectory of the web site to see if anything had been added when I heard that janc took over web development for the chapter.) ^_^;;

I'd also like to help where I can, as I told the KotT members at the time of my quitting DAoC that I would not forget or neglect the guild.

I noticed that the site, for the most part, was uniform and consistent--all except for the gallery and forums.

janc - I'd like to give you, or whoever would be interested, the base materials for constructing skins for the image gallery and forums. I'll e-mail you shortly, but have to run a few errands first.

Again, I'm very impressed with the site so far and am glad to see KotT still thriving.
smile.gif

Ooh, having skins for the gallery and forum would be great. I planned on doing it for the gallery, but didn't know if it would be possible for the forum.

status update:
I have the new files uploaded to the main server, but a permissions problem is keeping me from removing the old home page. For now, the new site can be reached at http://www.toj.cc/daoc/index.cfm

I have also added a few more pages of information, and the news and roster pages work properly as well.

hi here, old web development guy and long deceased member stopping by. Looks good, for some reason the frames are crunched in my browser on the one you loaded up and not on the test one you have.

Also, you may want to remove my name as the member to contact to add info to the links page, and check some of those old links in the links page. They're 2 years old from when I first setup that site.

will do

That's odd about the frames changing on the new site - I didn't modify the frameset at all, just uploaded the files. I'll check into it, though.

I also thought of another question: Do we want to keep the ToJ roster information on there?  It doesn't seem to reflect the members we currently have, and also includes some personal information which people may not want displayed publicly.

If needed, I can just remove the page and keep the Herald member information up.

I'd say keep it, but move it. Setup a history dedication page, and maybe make this an exhibit. You can blank out the personal stuff but leave the names as something to remember.

Just a thought.

Well, this info is pulled from the ToJ database, so will stay current as long as people mark their memberships as part of this chapter.  For instance, I'm listed there.

I definitely would like to have a history page, though. If someone could write a history of the guild, that would be great. Information about who started it originally, highs and lows over time, etc.

Hey Aladdar, how are you doing?

In case you guys didnt know, Aladdar was one of the original 10 members of KoT.

smile.gif

Good to hear from you.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (janc @ Nov. 18 2003,11:00)]Well, this info is pulled from the ToJ database, so will stay current as long as people mark their memberships as part of this chapter.  For instance, I'm listed there.
*pokes head in again* Hi hi.

I wasn't entirely clear on whether you meant the old PHP-based system or the newer ColdFusion roster system. The PHP-based system is entirely defunct now. You'll need to get the new ColdFusion roster template from Plankeye to make the appopriate changes.

Anyway, I'll try to keep an eye on a few threads in the DAoC chapters but it would be quicker to correspond with Plankeye and me (Plankeye being far more helpful when it comes to web shtuff) by e-mail. I do still intend on assigning forum assistants to keep me up-to-date on the forums I don't regularly read, but I'll try to keep up with this one in the mean time.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (janc @ Nov. 18 2003,9:25)]I have the new files uploaded to the main server, but a permissions problem is keeping me from removing the old home page.
Are you still having that same problem? If so, I can likely adjust the account permissions to fix it. E-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org with your reply, please.
smile.gif

Back