The Hunger Games

I love how my thread, which I thought would just be a short one, is now a 4 page thread. I've never had one like this...I...FEEL...LOVED!! lol.

Tis only two pages for me.

Convince me to read these books please. I need an explanation as to why I'm reading them if any friends/family ask. I figure I'll just say my friends made me. So make me, please.

This one really resounded with what I felt.

When Katniss Everdeen finds herself a contestant in the annual Hunger Games, she considers herself a goner. Out of 24 teenaged contestants chosen from the 12 districts of Panem, only 1 will emerge victorious. The rest will be slaughtered. By each other. And the entire event will be televised from the Capitol for the entire nation to watch.

If you had described the basic plot of the Hunger Games to me and told me that it was going to be THE book to read in 2008, I probably would have raised an eyebrow. Futuristic? And dystopian? AND gladiatorial? Despite the seemingly disparate elements, Suzanne Collins somehow managed to hit upon the perfect combination in this thrilling story about a girl who lives in a nation obsessed with violence and reality television. There is action, romance, deception, humans hunting humans (Most Dangerous Game, anyone?) surgically altered stylists (reminiscent of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies), genetically enhanced mutants, a cruel totalitarian government, and a unspoken mandatory creed to treat the entire event as if it were a holiday.

I read Hunger Games from start to finish in a day while I was supposed to be studying for finals. I meant to read a chapter or two and then go back to work, but I just could not put it down. Hunger Games is the kind of book that continues to haunt you days and weeks after you've turned the final page. I absolutely recommend it to everyone, with the one caveat that it does feature brutal violence between children and is perhaps not for the faint of heart. The next book can't come fast enough! In the mean time, I'm going to go learn how to shoot a bow, you never know when you're going to need to know how!

This one really resounded with what I felt.

That quote couldn't have explained it better.

Joshinator, if that doesn't move you to get it, I will eat every pie and cake you're offered for the rest of your life...just f.y.i...Haha.

It's not that I really hate book 3.. it's that I hate how the book made me feel after finishing it. I love the series and still think book 2 is my favorite but like what Mirakle quoted
Hunger Games is the kind of book that continues to haunt you days and weeks after you've turned the final page.
...except apply that to the whole series instead of just the first book.

It's not that I really hate book 3.. it's that I hate how the book made me feel after finishing it. I love the series and still think book 2 is my favorite but like what Mirakle quoted ...except apply that to the whole series instead of just the first book.

Ahh, okay. I agree with what he quoted -- and what you said. It's the entire series that will haunt you long after you finish it. It still is to me. I'm having a hard time reading other books because I find myself wishing it was dystopian and had stuff like the hunger games, and that I wish Katniss was there...lol. Doesn't work too well when you're reading Jumper.

I would give the Hunger Games a solid 9.5 on a scale of 1-10. I can't wait until the movies.

the movie looks AMAZING! Once im done with harry potter im rereading the hunger games for sure! I can't believe how much i missed reading though honestly its amazing how being out of school this long has made me want to go back and challenge my poor little brain.

the movie looks AMAZING! Once im done with harry potter im rereading the hunger games for sure! I can't believe how much i missed reading though honestly its amazing how being out of school this long has made me want to go back and challenge my poor little brain.

Nice. The movie does look amazing. I like the actor that's playing Cinna. I didn't like how Josh Hutcherson is playing Peeta. I would've preferred Liam Hemsworth playing Peeta, and Josh Hutcherson playing Gale. I love reading, in or out of school. I've got nearly 300 novels on my iPod.

Yeah it didnt seem like he fit the peeta character all that well but we shall see!

Yeah, I agree. I don't like how he looks as Peeta...I thought of Peeta as strong and silent, because he's a baker, but I thought of him as a really big guy...Josh Hutcherson doesn't have that physique. It's kinda weird for me to see him playing a guy that wrestles and stuff like that...of course, it could be totally different and he could be great. Won't see until the movie comes out

Fellas... It's got me caught up in it... Can barely put it down already...

Dunno if it's good yet. Would any of you happen to have a PDF of the first book? I bought it off of the google book store thinking I'd be able to download a PDF, only to find I can only download versions that are protected my .amsc or whatever.

I wanted to read it on my PSP... Not my iphone 3g with major screen problems >.>

Fellas... It's got me caught up in it... Can barely put it down already...

Dunno if it's good yet. Would any of you happen to have a PDF of the first book? I bought it off of the google book store thinking I'd be able to download a PDF, only to find I can only download versions that are protected my .amsc or whatever.

I wanted to read it on my PSP... Not my iphone 3g with major screen problems >.>

Yeah, I'll PM you. Glad you like it...I couldn't put the first book down until I finished it. I'm not kidding either.

Finished in 6-7 hours. Not a bad book. I will pick up the physical copy of the second book soon, so I can continue.

Back