The most emotional trailer at E3 this year.

I was discussing with my better half the other day how "The War To End All Wars" was becoming forgotten. The terrible loss of life, the clash of technology with old school military thought and tactics. The first use of WMD's, although that name was decades into the future, and "civilized" nations agreed to never use them again afterwards. The Geneva convention came from that conflict which regulated the treatment of POW's among many nations. For a bonus 10 points on the test, what famous actor was gassed in the war causing him to lose all of his teeth, yet was a successful actor all the way into the 1960's?

10 points, and an error by me. He lost his teeth in an accident in 1937, not due to gassing, although he was gassed in WWI.

Honestly, the visuals were practically unnecessary. The voice-over was superb and would have carried it all by itself.

Did Brennan ever play the lead? I know he was a (excellent) supporting actor many a time to the likes of John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, and James Garner but I can't remember him ever playing the lead. Man, that laugh was distinct.

Yes, in Swamp Water, costar with Walter Huston and Anne Baxter. I happen to have a copy on DvD, very hard to find, this copy was Mom's. Pretty good part in it for Ward Bond too.

Arrrg, just looked, another old movie Netflix doesn't have to watch :/. A pox upon millennials and your pathetic modern movies XD.

Gerbil Weirdness: I saw the title of this thread "The most emotional trailer at E3 this year" and the first thing I think is "please don't be talking about Metal Gear 5 "</eyeroll>. I am happily relieved, carry on :) .

Last edited:
I have never played any Metal Gear game. O.O I just couldn't make myself get interested enough.

I can only recommend Metal Gear Solid (on the first Playstation) Though dated now it was good. I think it got it mostly right and felt like being in an 80's action movie. Coincidentally an 80's movie, Escape from New York, is what Hideo Kojima blatantly plagiarized the main character from. The MGS sequels have high and low points making them meh overall. All of them rode on the first game's success though with fans bucking any time Hideo tried to have an original thought, which isn't often unless you count weird Japanese tropes. Hideo Kojima does not deserve the praise given him as he only made one really good game IMO.

Regardless the MGS 5 trailer is full of the same pretentious "war is bad I will now show emotion in an overt Japanese way" dialog. The trailer mentioned here is far more interesting and less full of "smearing your dead comrade's ashes on your face and making diamonds from them".

Last edited:
I can only recommend Metal Gear Solid (on the first Playstation) Though dated now it was good. I think it got it mostly right and felt like being in an 80's action movie. Coincidentally an 80's movie, Escape from New York, is what Hideo Kojima blatantly plagiarized the main character from. The MGS sequels have high and low points making them meh overall. All of them rode on the first game's success though with fans bucking any time Hideo tried to have an original thought, which isn't often unless you count weird Japanese tropes. Hideo Kojima does not deserve the praise given him as he only made one really good game IMO.

Regardless the MGS 5 trailer is full of the same pretentious "war is bad I will now show emotion in an overt Japanese way" dialog. The trailer mentioned here is far more interesting and less full of "smearing your dead comrade's ashes on your face and making diamonds from them".

The song choice was pretty legit though. Mike Oldfield for the win!

Coincidentally an 80's movie, Escape from New York, is what Hideo Kojima blatantly plagiarized the main character from.
Heh, Kurt Russell in one of his more "legitimate" roles. . .

I still have a hard time separating him from "The Computer that Wore Tennis Shoes".

Back