The Name of God and non-Christian guilds.

Dannypb

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been here. I was playing Vanguard for some years and left the Christian guild I was in for a guild that was there on the PvP server. It's been a lot of fun, and I have had my opportunities for Christ and made some great friends. That guild now though on their new forum has made the name of God a banned word. While I understand that people who are not Christian will not have my values (1 Cor 5 "what have we to do with judging outsiders"), that crosses the line between not wanting to argue over religion to being hostile towards God. It broke my heart when I said to someone in a pm God Bless, and it came out "Great Architect" Bless. The reason they gave was to end complaints they had from other Christian member who were complaining about popular curse phrases that use the name of our Father. But it still has the same effect, that the name of God is not allowed. And I'm not sure I completely believe that. If that wanted to ban that, they would have banned the phrase, not the name of God.

Anyway, I'm sad, in fact numb right now and had to vent. They are prolly scrambling to remove the ban now, but what would God want? I know that I have to take a stand, but if they change, do I go back? I left because I feel it is wrong to be the guy who says, change or else. They are good friends, and some of them are good Christians (who prolly don't realize the ban yet) and some of them I've been able to talk to about Jesus and be an encouragement. But that is less important than my relationship with God and in the end, I don't want to be anywhere near there if they profane the Name of God. It is of no profit to have every friend in the world and not be with the Father.

I guess I need to pray. Thanks for listening.

I find it odd that God would be upset at being referred to as the Great Architect, when He actually is.

Yes, and there was a day when He was referred to as that in theological circles. And it is used by the masons. I have not found that name used in the Bible. It was however used by various organizations as a religion neutral expression of God to remove any reference to Christianity or any specific religion.

A sister recently made a comment to me that had a profound effect on my thinking about living and trying hard for others that only recently sunk in.That is I can't stand for others before our Lord only I can stand as myself! Our job is to plant a seed and always stand for who I am! You keep focused on God and when others see what your looking at they look also! That alone is a seed!

Don't be afraid to use phrases to represent God that are true, even if they don't appear in the Bible. For example, "Trinity" does not appear in our Bible (except possibly in some later manuscripts which were altered by scribes; Trinity does not appear in the early Hebrew and Greek letters). Yet the term Trinity was coined and is an important dogmatic distinction for Christians.

Just because "Great Architect" wasn't coined by early councils doesn't make it any less of a valid description of God. It's just another way to say "Creator" and showing reverence for God's power, knowledge and ability.

Plus, by having the filter in place, it's auto changing when someone blaspemes... and the text that appears may make them think about what they're actually saying. Personally, I wouldn't get to bent out of shape about it. Our forums just ****OOPS***** ******OOPS****** *******OOPS****** over banned words. Yet another way of getting people's attention that the specific action is not condoned on the forums.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with calling God the Great Archictect, even when the Masons do it to be general, but it does sort of stink that "God" is banned.

What about Jesus? Christ? Yahweh? There are a lot of names for God; I doubt they blocked them all.

Back