The True Danger Behind Modern Music

[toj.cc]phantom said:
I only listen to classic rock, I hate all new music especially rap.

List of who I listen to;

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Blackfoot
Brother Cane
Bryan Adams
*Darn* Yankees
Dan Baird
The Edgar Winter Group
John Mellencamp
Kiss
Led Zepplin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pink Floyd
Rick Derringer
Rush
Ted Nugent
Tesla
Van Halen
Van Zant
ZZ Top
PLUS MUCH MORE
I like quite a few of those..Just add Iron Maiden and Queensryche in and it'd be about perfect. :)

You think thats crazy? Read the lyrics for this 'Weird Al' Yankovic Song.

Lyrics

P.S. I do listen to 'Weird Al' Yankovic, and I have been to one of his concerts here in Cincinnati at Kings Island. I also think there is some patern to this song, but I have yet to find what it is.

EDIT

I figured out the patern, its what I thought it was in the first place. Al uses rhyming palindromes in every line.

Last edited:
Well, I listen to plenty of lyircally stupid songs. Most of AC/DC's songs would fall under that catogory. Sometimes people just want things they can bang their head too.

[toj.cc]phantom said:
You think thats crazy? Read the lyrics for this 'Weird Al' Yankovic Song.

Lyrics

P.S. I do listen to 'Weird Al' Yankovic, and I have been to one of his concerts here in Cincinnati at Kings Island. I also think there is some patern to this song, but I have yet to find what it is.

EDIT

I figured out the patern, its what I thought it was in the first place. Al uses rhyming palindromes in every line.
Haha, that's awesome! I wonder if he made all those up? That's pretty cool if he did. Doesn't make for a very intelligent song though.

Killerah said:
Doesn't make for a very intelligent song though.
Actually, it took a great deal of intelligence to write that song...since every line is actually a palindrome. The song is a sort of tribute to Bob Dylan (thus the title and use of palindromes) and uses the music, not lyrics, of Bob Dylan's 115th Dream as the framework for the song.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I believe that it takes a very intelligent and talented purpose to write excellent comedy. Great comedy is terribly difficult to write and great comedy writers (for example, Conan O'Brien, who wrote such Simpsons classics as Marge vs. The Monorail) are few and far between.

Last edited:
Yeah, it took a lot of intelligence to write that song, and Al is a pretty clever guy (not a fan of his latest cd though), but when you're just looking at it and you don't know that it's a bunch of palindromes it doesn't look intelligent at all.

Killerah said:
Haha, that's awesome! I wonder if he made all those up? That's pretty cool if he did. Doesn't make for a very intelligent song though.

Yup, he writes all the lyrics to his songs...except for the small 'polka' compliations that he does...

Last edited:
My favorite music is along the lines of hard rock and contemporary.

My favorite bands all-around (meaning that I enjoyed more than one album) include Pillar, DC Talk, Thousand Foot Krutch, and Jeremy Camp. Spoken and Kids in the Way are two bands that are starting to grow on me too.

I listen to a lot more than what I listed, obviously, but they're just the ones I like the most. They're on a different level than all the rest of the music I enjoy from time to time.

Last edited:
U2, StorySide: B, Pillar, Michael Buble, Sanctus Real and the Goo Goo Dolls FTW!!!

(Sorry, I just had to. :p)

The fiance and I often have this discussion since she is the mindset of "I like the beat, I don't listen to the words". Although there are some rap and hip-hop songs I do like, I generally don't like it because of the content. I find that the songs I do like actually have a positive message.

Most of the popular artists and songs glorify the criminal/ghetto lifestyle that I see everyday, I am a jail guard and see exactly where the life gets you... in jail. The danger that lies within is the acceptance that there is no other way to live, that they have no choice, and that they are not responsible for their actions. I see the music and the "artists" portraying that life as acceptable, that no matter what you do if you are trying to make money it's ok. TV shows like MTV cribs show a very small percentage of how people live, not the rest of the population that have to work and live on meager wages like myself. Yeah it's nice to aspire to be rich but no one ever tells these kids how unlikely it will be, and that faith, respect for others, education and hard work is what really gets you anywhere in life, and in the afterlife.

Anyway, I pray I'm wrong but if I'm not then I need to be praying hard for my son.

As for what I do like: almost everything except country and rap about sums it up. Tek should appreciate this, I've been listening to Dave Brubeck a lot recently. I can only describe Desmond's sax as hypnotic. I hardly listen to music on the radio, most of the time I'll have it on conservative or christian talk, and I'll listen to whatever cds I have in the changer. When I'm at home I'll listen to internet or sirius radio, rock or dance.

i don't get how people say that some music has a "good" beat. i mean, as opposed to a bad beat?

turn_key said:
The fiance and I often have this discussion since she is the mindset of "I like the beat, I don't listen to the words". Although there are some rap and hip-hop songs I do like, I generally don't like it because of the content. I find that the songs I do like actually have a positive message...
I tend to only listen to rap that's intelligent too. I know I mentioned them before in this same thread, but given your situation I think you might like this song. It's Mars Ill - Inside Out. The sound quality is terrible, but what can you expect? You'll have to buy the CD if you want full quality.

turn_key said:
Tek should appreciate this, I've been listening to Dave Brubeck a lot recently.
Brubeck FTW! (Sorry, was feeling left out.) :)

I'm a big fan of quality jazz, especially David Sanborn. I'm convinced that Sanborn is not human, because no human can do what he does with the saxaphone. It's physically impossible.

I also dig funk-jazz fusion, especially any album by Candy Dulfer.

I think of Sanborn as the well-behaved, older brother of jazz, and I picture Candy Dulfer as the wild, "party girl" younger sister. If you compare a few of their tracks, I think you'll see where I'm coming from.

Back