Theorycraft for mages

Ambryana

As I was reading through the WoW forums, (hey had to do something while the server was down) I came across a triple-point graph explaining which mage spec will pump out highest damage based on your +damage and crit rating.

As an example, I'm currently sitting at +676 damage unbuffed. My crit rating is 160, so my optimal spec is 10/48/3.

As with all statistics, I'm sure the math behind the graph can be debated but I thought the mages in the group might find this interesting.

Mage Triple-Point Graph

Same graph, with better explanation

Thread discussing the calculations

Great discussion...makes me glad I already have the "right" spec. unfortunately, I am finding that when I PUG groups, I am having to resort to scorch, pause, scorch, pause, scorch...BURN COOLDOWNS SO I DO DECENT DAMAGE!!! just so I don't pull aggro on these tanks...I was wondering if having arcane just for the 40% aggro reduction wouldn't be nice for PUGging...not that I'm going to change, I was just curious.

That said, thanks for finding the graph! in the next week or two I should be finishing out my spellfire gear, and I'll be even more into the 10/48/3 realm. Question for the 48 fire mages out there...what did you put those last wandring 3 points? Personally, I have them in the crit chance on scorch, and one point in imp FB. I found myself ALMOST being able to work in FB without waiting at all, so the 0.5 second in cooldown alleviated that. (= mostly.

With the right tanks, giving them about 5 seconds at the start of combat is all you'll need. I've got the talents that reduce my fire threat by 30%. If I find a tank is having holding agro still, I'll do 1-2 scorches (lower base DPS, increased total DPS due to fire vulnerability).

As for my spec, you can view it here. I only chose the spells in the first tier of arcane the way I did because I *NEVER* use AM. But I figure for all the times that I use AE, the decreased threat & reduced resists were the better choice. I may eventually take up Playing With Fire, but I'm not sure. It depends on how long Impact continues to be useful.

I can't for the life of me figure out how you got 30% threat reduction...your spec is almost identical to mine, although I have playing with fire and not impact. There's the 10% reduction from "The Burning Soul"...but where does the other 20% come from?

As to scorch, I start almost every trash mob with two scorches, and I'm still pulling. I don't start the first cast of scorch till either another DPS chimes in, or the tank gets his first hit (usually a sunder) off. Still pulling. When I run with Angie or other guild tanks, this isn't a problem...is it just the tank?

Other DPS has ways to reduce their agro (apparently, I was mistaken about the 30%, it is 10% as you indicated).

Seriously, wait for 2 sunders or 5 seconds... longer if needed. Other DPS might be using lower threat spells or something similar. I typically feel out a tank early in the instance and go from there.

As for "is it just the tank?" Yes. Each player has a different spec, gearset, personal ability. With each minute change in any area, the ending effect is different. Each upgrade in gear provides better mitigation, more hitpoints, more hit%, more threat. Any change in spec, any new "trick" the tank learns, any enchant or gem change....means that there will be a difference in the tank you run with. Any background distraction can hinder them...

The game is fickle. Because it's not just the tank. It's the same with you, the other two DPS classes, and the healer. Any one of the five of you not doing what you're supposed to do leads to failure. The tank can only tank as long as the healer can heal. The healer can only heal so long before they run out of mana, and they can only heal so much damage per second. The DPS have to drop the mobs before the healer can't heal. It's a delicate balance.

Our guild runs are far more successful than PUGs because we play together a lot. We know what each other are mostly capable of, and we know what limits to push. I know that if Angie gets out in front of me, I need to give her one sunder. After that, I open up my DPS to max and let the fire fly. The only exception to that is agro wiping mobs, or if i hit 3 crits in a row. Then I back down for a few scorches, and open up again. But I only know to do that through feeling her out in instances.

alright, makes sense...I was hoping to hear an answer besides giving the tank more time for aggro, but I was thinking that it would be unavoidable. :mad: Just another reason to love Tinie and the other guild tanks, I suppose.

you really don't lose that much DPS. Besides, if you start too early and die, you generate 0 DPS for the remainder of the fight.

then you generate 250 (or so) dps until your ignite wears off :) Unless you're talking silly warlock spells :)

then you generate 250 (or so) dps until your ignite wears off :) Unless you're talking silly warlock spells :)

pfft...warlocks. Without banish, soulstones, pets, fear, a ton of heath, and DoT's, their nothings. Might as well replace 'em. hehe

Back