There I fixed it?

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Hey All,

One thing that has been brought up before is.... a lot of us have actually grown up and have apartments and houses.....

that being said, instead of c02 cooled computers or other electronic mechas in our 1 bed room, we have a whole home to think about...... and as christians.... we tend to be frugal.......

Do you have any, "there I fixed it" type pictures to share?

WP_20151210_003.jpg

mine is our living room.... where the giant mirror isnt mounted.... we've been here 7mo now... We were worried it would slide from the bottom so I put clamps there to catch it :D

In theory the whiteboard is keeping the mirror tipped back.... or at least that is what I like to think

I drywalled my living room 11 years ago.... still haven't painted... :oops: (paint is expensive)

but HEY!!!! at least it doesn't look like cement block anymore:D

aa472e95c316eccb6c7cabb17bcbf36f.jpg

there you can see the unpainted drywall behind my homemade 3 display desk.

Last edited:
My whole house is a giant kludge thanks to our renter. Kitchen is two inches higher than living room, bedroom is 3 inches higher than the short hall it comes off of. That floor is 3/4" higher than living room due to tongue and groove flooring covering a gigantic hole in the floor. When we moved back in you wouldn't believe our beautiful large stone fireplace. The same tongue and groove was installed over the hearth to hide the massive crack in it. A piece of indoor/outdoor grass carpet was laid off of that 5 inches into the fireplace. 2x4 s were glued to the opening to mount wooden trim painted white so glass doors could be placed in it. Linoleum was glued in around the whole firebox. A sheet of plywood was glued to the top after both flues were stuffed with fiberglass. And for the crowing touch a huge gas (not hooked up or working of course) log was encsonced in the fireplace. To add insult to injury the 7' foot long natural, rough sawn, mahogany mantel was painted enamel white. All this done to an almost 8' foot long natural stone fireplace. For all other "improvement" including the addition to the house set on bricks drywall screws were liberally used, including the tightening up of a tin roof. Overall counting the foundation, opening up the loft, replacing the floor and joists I am looking at close to 30k of repairs, money I don't have. Did I tell you how much we love our renter that left owing us 3500 dollars?

My whole house is a giant kludge thanks to our renter. Kitchen is two inches higher than living room, bedroom is 3 inches higher than the short hall it comes off of. That floor is 3/4" higher than living room due to tongue and groove flooring covering a gigantic hole in the floor. When we moved back in you wouldn't believe our beautiful large stone fireplace. The same tongue and groove was installed over the hearth to hide the massive crack in it. A piece of indoor/outdoor grass carpet was laid off of that 5 inches into the fireplace. 2x4 s were glued to the opening to mount wooden trim painted white so glass doors could be placed in it. Linoleum was glued in around the whole firebox. A sheet of plywood was glued to the top after both flues were stuffed with fiberglass. And for the crowing touch a huge gas (not hooked up or working of course) log was encsonced in the fireplace. To add insult to injury the 7' foot long natural, rough sawn, mahogany mantel was painted enamel white. All this done to an almost 8' foot long natural stone fireplace. For all other "improvement" including the addition to the house set on bricks drywall screws were liberally used, including the tightening up of a tin roof. Overall counting the foundation, opening up the loft, replacing the floor and joists I am looking at close to 30k of repairs, money I don't have. Did I tell you how much we love our renter that left owing us 3500 dollars?

Yeah we see that kind of stuff in my town A LOT . its a college town and so everyone is a landlord or renter it seems. Electricity is dirt cheap here and one landlord had a $1400 electricity bill. Hired a home performance expert to take a look at what could be done. Found out they were using the entire attic (probably about 1200sqft) for growing pot and heat lamps were on 24/7 in an attic with no insulation. That was before it was legal in washington >_<

I'm not a lawyer, but isn't that the sort of thing you could bring someone to court over?

I'm sure he could, but are the lawyer fees worth a piece of paper saying someone owes you money? One would likely not get a dime from the past tenants, even with a court order.

For once Cow Rocket is right. Unless we are talking the loss of the whole house, and theft on a grand scale, it is a losing proposition. And if it is something like that you likely won't get any money, again, just jail time for the renter if they can be found. What's more unless it is really big time stuff the sentence is usually light. That's why fewer and fewer people are renting just one or two units. It too often is a losing proposition. I am fortunate, I have another home I am renting where the tenants are like gold. I make little money on it because the rent pays the mortgage, taxes, and insurance, the only gain is equity. By the time maintenance is factored in barely enough to show up on the tax forms.

Yeah. People typically didt like my parents style because they refused to allow Section 8 renters but that saved us some grief. The hard part for the landlords that I know is that they rent mostly to christians in the church, but some of the christian college students are just as dirty and gross as non-christians. Most times damage deposits are not ever returned.

I've only rented to room-mates in the past and that has worked out for me decently. I typically only rent the "bedroom" and not the rest of the house so they actually respect the space a lot more. Though closer to campus, I've heard of bedrooms renting for $800/rm. in a 5 bedroom, 2bt house, that end definitely makes money.

Cow Rocket that is usually the way in most College/University towns and cities close to campus. Even so it is not all gold, damage can be high, sometimes very high. One good kegger may cost the landlord a couple of grand. Christian campuses are safer, but still can be costly in repair and clean up. Spring semester end can be pricey for trash removal. Still if you are willing to take the risks you can make money at it on a steady basis with several units.

That makes sence.. get the money for damages upfront via rent, then when damages actually happen, no need to get the courts involved.

I drywalled my living room 11 years ago.... still haven't painted... :oops: (paint is expensive)

I know Im a little late to the game here, but Lowes or Home Depot, they both do "oops" (mis-tint) paint, at least they do her in California.. Discounted to $5 a gallon, no matter what it is.. We have scored some pretty good paint (read top of the line, $60 a gallon). In fact, the whole house is painted with it. :)

(of course, you would have to be ok with it being a little off color, but doesn't look like that would bother you.. ;) )

My college pastor is a professional painter, does contracts for the university and massive apartment complexes..... he has storage units full of "extra" paint :)

I use it a lot :D

Back