through a live CD can you...

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Ok im in eastern washington and i thought id work on my current project - 8x 1gb hard drives with a 300mhz amd k6 running them. my thought was can a live CD designate those hard drives to be virtual memory?

I know it annoys me when people reply to a question with comments like the one about to follow, but I have to say: I have absolutely no idea. I'm not even sure I understand what you're trying to do.

ok well when u use paritition managers while doing a normal install of say ubuntu, u have to have a primary partition set as root and then set least 256mb of ram or so as your swap/virtual memory. but i wanted to know if through a live cd i could format all of those hard drives into swap drives and run it with the live and not have an install

I know it annoys me when people reply to a question with comments like the one about to follow, but I have to say: I have absolutely no idea. I'm not even sure I understand what you're trying to do.

*cough* I think someone's just trying to up his post count. *cough*

your question

I suggest going to www.geekstogo.com. I believe they've got a linux section, so they should be able to help you there.

ok well when u use paritition managers while doing a normal install of say ubuntu, u have to have a primary partition set as root and then set least 256mb of ram or so as your swap/virtual memory. but i wanted to know if through a live cd i could format all of those hard drives into swap drives and run it with the live and not have an install
why would you want such a large swap space anyway? That's going to bring the system to a grinding halt(remember what appenes in windows if you start digging into swap?). If you are that short on ram..bet more..or get a bigger box.

open up fdisk and reformat the drive, make sure you have the proper flag set (81 or 82 iirc).

mkswap /path/to/disk
swapon /path/to/disk

You could possibly run those in raid 0, but the cpu over head probable isnt worth it for something < 500MHz (and setup can be a pain)

Linux runs fine on 64mb and 128mb machines. Some live cd's may need up to 150mb to boot, but 96mb should be fine for most. Try to get a "lightweight" distro (ie xfce or *box as window managers) using gnome or kde on a memory constrained machine can be painful.

Don't knock people for what they are trying to do. If they want to have fun, let em :p

why would you want such a large swap space anyway? That's going to bring the system to a grinding halt(remember what appenes in windows if you start digging into swap?). If you are that short on ram..bet more..or get a bigger box.

laf the only reason i would want to do it, is because i have nothing better to do with a bunch of 1gb hard drives lol

not true. It's done in servers all the time. Just be careful about it. before you go down this road what are you using that requires 600 watts?

yeah but there are not enough connectors and i dont like using extenders, ive had bad luck with those on fans

you just have to short 2 of the pins, 13 and 14 iirc to get the juice flowing on a power supply. As long as you dont bridge connectors it should be fine.

now question...... that guide said 14 and 15....

Back