Thursday, January 17, 2013

Japesland

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

-John 1:1-5 (NIV)

So after my hiatus I'm finally back, and, man, is it weird writing the year 2013 instead of 2012! In any case, however, my Bible reading has gotten much more consistent, along with my schedule, so I should be able to get back into the swing of things!

This week I decided to focus on an extremely well-known Biblical passage at the beginning of John. See, this week I decided to redo my devotions schedule because my last one wasn't working, and so I am re-reading both John and Job to begin. Although I have read this passage countless times, I was hit particularly hard this time.

I have known that the word, "Word", in this context comes from the Greek "logos" (which can mean reason or logic). However, it had never really clicked what John was saying here. Here was making the Word and Jesus one and the same. The next portion that hit me, though, was that John was actually retelling the Creation story of Genesis! I'm not sure why this never clicked with me before, but John is reiterating the existence of Jesus as a part of God from the very beginning of creation!

There are many other points to stress here, but this is what struck me. I hope you have a blessed week!

-Japesland

Congratulations on the new consistency in your schedule and Bible time...and thanks for the passage.

Oooh, in Seminary we started translating John on our own. These verses are so full of meaning. John was making so many connections between the Jewish and Hellenistic cultures. I could go on and on. Thanks!

Back