Time for a restart?

Time for a refresh?

• Leave it as it is!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Leave it Vanilla, with a new map!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Server Modded! (Spigot with plugins?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Server / Client modded? (FTB \ ATLauncher modpack?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? (Let us know in the comments!)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blsimpson

Hello everyone, I hope you all are well. I know I haven't been around as much as I used to be, but I am still here, and check the boards almost daily. I have mostly been playing the EA (Early Alpha) of H1Z1 (which, even with the problems they have had, has been pretty awesome, and "modded" Minecraft (SkyFactory2 mostly). For me, Vanilla just gets to a certain point, and I lose interest in it..

That being said, I would like to see if we can revitalize our community, so I'm going to throw a couple if options out there for everyone to vote on. I will leave the poll open till the end of the week, to give the most time for people to see it, and cast their vote. Of course, I would like the MC community to vote, but, if you are reading this from the "recent new posts" from the home page, and you play Minecraft, but not on our server, please, tell me why! (Of course, I'm not looking to "steal" you away from your current favorite server, or community, but your vote will be appreciated!)

Here are my thoughts:

1. Keep it the way it is!
2. Keep it Vanilla, just refresh the map (new seed?)
3. Server side modded! (Spigot server with plugins)
4. Server and client modded! (FTB \ ATLauncher modpack?)
5. Other (Something I missed? Tell us in a reply!)

If you have any other opinions, or suggestions on what you would like to see, let me know! This is all of our community, and I would really like to see it prosper again!

So far, 100% for Leave it the Way it is. This is a sign, Bl.

Seriously, I like this map and it has a lot we can still do on it. I've been playing more recently since I'm able to play at school. We just need people to come back.

(Also the server is down so I need someone to bring it up.)

We'll see TDW, its only been one day.. :)

I will check the server out. It was up this morning before I left for work. I'm starting to think the host we are using isn't very good..

I've not been active on the ToJ MC servers in quite some time, so I don't know how much weight my thoughts will carry; however, since I was asked to explain why, here goes:

I believe that vanilla and modded minecraft servers provide a draw for two different types of people:
- Vanilla servers tend to bring out the creative minds.
- Modded servers tend to bring out the technical minds.

That's not to say that technically-minded people won't play vanilla, or that creative players won't play modded. There is room for everyone in either type of server. I would argue, however, that technically-oriented people will lose interest in a vanilla server much faster than a creative person will lose interest in a modded server.

Technical people are typically driven by accomplishment, achievement, and the creation of efficient and automated systems. In vanilla servers, these goals may revolve around creating redstone networks, mob farms, or through enchanting and brewing. In modded servers, there is typically more content available in the automation, accumulation, and augmentation departments to keep a technical person both busy and happy.

Creative people are typically driven by creating something new - whether it be architecturally, role-play-oriented, or just for fun. Regardless of the server, the possibilities are practically limitless. You can create the wonders of the ancient world, modern landmarks, entire towns or cities, semi-functional industrial zones, or random artwork. On a modded server, the main difference is that the number of materials you can use to create these items explodes exponentially (and I'm not even talking about microblocks).

These explanations are generalized and heavily biased, so my opinions may not match yours - and that's ok. I am a techincally-minded player, so while I can't lay down blocks in a straight line without a ruler, I really enjoy accumulating items and making efficient systems to automate repetitive tasks. I've noticed that there are many creative minds on the TOJ servers (or maybe just a couple of extremely active and/or caffeinated creative minds), who really enjoy building large-scale structures and rp-based environments - unfortunately, there's not much I can do to assist in that creative process.

I have reserved my vote for the time being, as I don't want to be "that one guy" that breaks up the unity that may exist in this community. I'm always on the lookout for a small community to do modded cooperative maps with. Not only are they hard to find, and the nature of a small community makes it hard to find common times to get together to play and build cooperatively.

My vote is and always has been for vanilla. This includes creeper explosive damage. There is an immense sense of accomplishment that comes from building something against the elements and learning how to protect it without all the modded help. I don't mind mods that add to the gameplay. I generally just ignore them and let others use them as they wish. However mods or alterations that take away from the game (such as the creeper nerf) make the game completely unenjoyable for me.

I miss playing Minecraft y'all and would play with just about any settings. I really prefer vanilla and that's what I play in single player. However, I really don't enjoy playing with the creeper nerf'd and won't play where it is.

Thanks Gouldie, your opinion does matter!

I feel the same way. I like the technical aspect of modded MC, but I also like some of the challenge style packs (MadPack 2, SkyFacory2, Crash Landing, etc..). I also really enjoyed playing the little bit of TolkienCraft that I played.

Dont get me wrong, I like playing Vanilla, but after a while, it just gets boring for me, which is why I haven't been on the server much..

I am new person so my opinion might not matter much But I would love to get into more minecraft with you guys. I feel a bit out of place since there is hardly anyone on and there is so much already done I would love to restart and build fresh. That i just me though.

But definitely legit. Also witht he custom map setting there is some really cool map presets you can do. Those might be worth checking out. Like an Amplified map type, or under the custom option there is a preset called Island land which creates a hilly world with a lot of floating islands.

Last edited:
I've been waiting to respond myself. The reason I haven't been on the server for a while is that I was alone most of the time. Not to say I want to group up with a bunch of people, but the idea that there are others on the server building stuff I can explore and the ability to exchange (sell) items for materials I need. Last time I was on, no one had restocked the arrows or the other stalls in the general store. I asked if anyone had a saddle for sale and my request fell on deaf ears (no no ears at all). Anyhow, I don't mean to complain, I just wanted to explain my situation. If activity increases, that's a good thing and I may get more active myself.

Personally, I've put a lot of work into my place and a wipe would kind of hurt. On the other hand if it increases activity...

As for mods, I've never played with them much. I like the gotospawn command and the warp wall and command block returns. I see mod packs and think "wow, that looks cool!" but as I investigate and start to realize that "wow, that's really complicated." I'm not sure I have the patience to get a degree in engineering so I can build a simple steam engine to water my garden, as cool as that sounds. (This from the guy who made the "hidden" gate and entrances to my castle and the self-harvesting garden...)

I like the fact that the creepers can blow me up but they don't trash the 20+ hours I just put into my red stone circuits. I guess the biggest deal breaker for me is PVP and destruction of other people's stuff which we don't have anyway.

TL:DR
Vanilla - yes with some additions
Mods - ok if they don't require a four-year degree (mostly server side, the client side one's give me fits)
Creepers - like the way they are
More activity FTW!

I've been waiting to respond myself. The reason I haven't been on the server for a while is that I was alone most of the time. Not to say I want to group up with a bunch of people, but the idea that there are others on the server building stuff I can explore and the ability to exchange (sell) items for materials I need. Last time I was on, no one had restocked the arrows or the other stalls in the general store. I asked if anyone had a saddle for sale and my request fell on deaf ears (no no ears at all). Anyhow, I don't mean to complain, I just wanted to explain my situation. If activity increases, that's a good thing and I may get more active myself.

Personally, I've put a lot of work into my place and a wipe would kind of hurt. On the other hand if it increases activity...

As for mods, I've never played with them much. I like the gotospawn command and the warp wall and command block returns. I see mod packs and think "wow, that looks cool!" but as I investigate and start to realize that "wow, that's really complicated." I'm not sure I have the patience to get a degree in engineering so I can build a simple steam engine to water my garden, as cool as that sounds. (This from the guy who made the "hidden" gate and entrances to my castle and the self-harvesting garden...)

I like the fact that the creepers can blow me up but they don't trash the 20+ hours I just put into my red stone circuits. I guess the biggest deal breaker for me is PVP and destruction of other people's stuff which we don't have anyway.

TL:DR
Vanilla - yes with some additions
Mods - ok if they don't require a four-year degree (mostly server side, the client side one's give me fits)
Creepers - like the way they are
More activity FTW!

So what you're saying is you want me to prank you, right?

EDIT: OMG I'm playing with someone else stop the presses the server's not dead! /s

2015-02-11_11.43.07.jpg

Last edited:
Now that im back to playing EVE, I'll have some more time to play Minecraft again... am I still on the whitelist?

So what is the verdict what are we doing? I have nto been doing anything on the server because it might get reset.

It looks like it has been decided to keep it vanilla, but change the map out.

I am actually working on something right now for this, but since its a three day weekend, dont expect much work done will Tuesday.

Login, enjoy the current work for the weekend. New things are coming starting Tuesday!

Back