Total Noobish Question

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Is there any advantage to doing all of the crafting areas on one 'toon? Aside from scratching my ocd itch that is. I did have my crafting spread over 5 'toons, but am saving materials to max all crafting disciplines on one 'toon.

I can't see any strong advantage to having them on one toon. Not needing to transfer items would be the biggest argument for it. Are there any crafting items required for a legendary weapon that are soulbound? I've been crafting armor and weapons and transferring them when I do. Needing to pay a fee to change one of your crafting slots would seem like a strong argument for only keeping a max of 2 on any one toon.

Insta-level 80 for a new toon could be considered an advantage. I don't believe the items you craft for legendary are soulbound, but even if they were I wouldn't consider that when deciding what crafts to put on toons. Leveling something for a legendary is a very small drop in the bucket versus the costs, though I suppose every bit helps.

I don't see any advantages other than the rather small advantage of not having to switch characters to craft the item you need atm. Legendarys don't matter. You can craft the items on any character and as far as i've seen all the "gift of _____" items are account bound.

I have 7 characters now with the goal of eventually having one of each profession. So far each character has learned 1 craft and i tried to pick a craft that lined up well with their profession.

Pyper - Engineer - Leatherworker
Dara - Elementalist - Artificier
Rain - Warrior - Weaponsmith
Kidd - Thief - Jeweler
Karn - Ranger - Huntsman
Clio - Necromancer - Tailor
Fiona - Mesmer - She's the new kid on the block. Probably won't craft
Faith - Guardian - Not created yet. Future Armorsmith.

In Addition, my main Pyper has applied to culinary school but hasn't actually started classes yet.

One disadvantage to having them all on one character is - you can only have two at a time. There is a cost to swapping out to another discipline - that is 10 copper per level (i.e. 40 silver at level 400).

Here is a quote from this article:

Using One Character
Pro – Your main character is more “complete”
Pro – 60 extra skill points on your main character (makes getting legendary weapons easier)
Pro – You don’t have to swap characters to make an item
Pro – You will be able to make the components for any epic weapon you want
Pro - Some heart recipes are soul bound. Putting all your recipes on one character will make learning these easier.
Con – This can get expensive if you switch often (40 silver may not break the bank, but it isn’t cheap either)
Con – Space will get short and you will find yourself muling often.​

I believe the soulbound deal is out of date - all recipes are account bound now.

I have to say, for the "con" argument, I have recently gotten into crafting and I find that the 20 level bump of two crafting professions is really nice when I'm plodding along in my mid-50s. Suddenly, I'm getting better drops and going wherever I want. That's what I'm doing with my first three characters.

To add to that, Brydon, I would say it'd downright bad to *not* level via crafting for some professions. I would at the very least level every single character to 400 chef at some point because for under 1g, the extra drops you get will more than make up for it.

Now for my noobish question: Extra drops from 400 chef? Are you talking about magic find consumables or something else? Tell me more about this wizardry.

Sorry about the ambiguity; simply meant that by virtue of being a higher level, you get better loot.

Let's say that at level 40 I bump myself to 50. Well, that means that for 40 whole levels I'm getting better stuff. That REALLY adds up over time. Last week I did a TA run and got 4 onyx shard drops; if I had been a higher level those would've at least been onyx cores...so I lost 1g right there!

If I'm brand new to GW2, I'd skip crafting entirely until I hit 80...you'd be surprised how much money you can save that way. But on an alt...I'd definitely recommend picking out 2 crafts to max on them + cooking if you can afford it.

Gotcha! That's what I figured too... For example, I jumped my warrior from 60 to 80 with crafting... Even when he's running around in 25-30 territories, he's still getting occasional drops at his level. Even if I get a light armor piece that I'm just going to merch, a lvl 80 piece is worth more than a lvl 60 piece. So for the 30 minutes I'm going to spend on my next story missions, there's more profit if I spend those 30 minutes as an 80 than a 60.

Plus, I don't have to worry about where I can go or not go... Plus, while I miss the excitement of upgrading armor, I don't have to keep constantly checking on it and can start working on making something I can feel good about that I won't be replacing in 7 more levels.

Plus, my light and medium armor characters could step into a whole fresh suit when they hit 80 from all the stuff my heavy armor 80 found for them.

I'm seeing now that in my next run of alts that it would be more effective to start them off with crafting rather than wait till the end... And to hit the dungeons as I get to them and take advantage of the level locked loot.

So, Ryan... I feel like whatever you're doing to get to 400 chef is a lot cheaper than whatever I did... Do you have a guide that you're following that you wouldn't mind linking?

http://gw2crafts.saladon.net/

Fantastic guide, and the only one you need, because it's dynamically tied to the price of items. That means it will give you the absolute cheapest crafting path at any point in time. Cooking has a karma option...I usually roll the partial karma because the full karma is too much work IMO.

Apparently cost for 400 chef has creeped up a bit over 1g...so I have to stop quoting that number! It was <1g just one week ago...must be the bans. That said, I did have enough raw materials hoarded in my bank to level 3 toons to 400 with only 30s spent, so I expect things would be very similar for other players if you aren't actively selling your materials.

Last edited:
Okay, see I had seen links to this guy's guides before, but I was suspicious of it because it listed the armor crafts as like 9-11g... Which is crazy, because I did mine for like 2 or 3... I know I had some mats already, but not a lot and almost none of the higher end ones... (I don't seem to have it bookmarked here, but can check when I get home.) Thoughts?

When did you do yours? Multiple bot bans have shots raw material prices through the roof. Rich ori vein in Southsun just got nerfed, so that added about 45% to the price of that overnight. It's a lot easier to make money now, though.

Fortunately ANet planned ahead and added mats to the laurel vendors. You should expect the price of raw materials and unidentified dyes to start trending down soon, just as the lodestones went down overnight when the orrian boxes came into play for karma. Another thing to check out is buying raw materials on "craft 10 things" day. There was a sizable reduction in cost on low-end planks/ingots/etc.

Back