Trouble with iMac

Razzle0925

Hello. I realize this may not exactly be a place to put this but both myself and my father-in-law are starting to get frustrated with this thing and everything I have been reading/viewing online (including apple) doesn't help. We are working on an iMac and he cleaned/partitioned the drive. Now, it won't boot from any of the os x install dvds. We have gotten it to the point where you can choose either the dvd or the hard drive but then it gets frozen after that and doesn't do a thing. Neither of us really deals with macs so this is new for us. Really frustrating. If anyone has dealt with this before and knows a work around, that would be great. Thanks ahead of time!

He may have done that. Problem though, even if he did, is that you can't even get to it. All I can get to right now is choosing either the hdd or dvd or network. select one of those and the whole thing freezes up. Seeing in some research though that if produced in 2009, can't handle snow leopard.

Just a tid bit more info if it helps, just selected to boot from the dvd...dvd starts to spool and spin up like it will start up. Computer goes to gray screen with apple logo in the midde...then the drive just stops spooling. does this with an external cd drive as well as the internal one.

Try this is you have not already:
Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

just rebooted again and have gotten to a screen where you choose the boot device. Have a hdd image that says "mac os x install dvd" and then a dvd image that says "mac os x install disc 1". either one that i choose, the thing freezes up after.

Looked at the article and also heard from my father-in-law. he checked the hdd using the utilities and it came back saying it was ok.

found out from my father-in-law that according to the utilities, the hdd is fine. he did the check and it came up as being ok

Thanks for trying to help ewoksrule. Father-in-law contacted apple support last night. He either has to use someone's apple id and download mavericks with it or bring it out to providence (which would be 1 hr or so one way out of his way).

Good deal, I was going to say the next step really is to take it to a apple store so the dudes there can see it in person.

Everything worked great. He did have to contact them again about setting up an email that he was having trouble with but it got taken care of. Well, at least we know what to do next time!

Back