Two technical questions about GW

What would you guys say would be a suffecient gaming rig to play GW? oh and does is support Vista?

Thanks.
it does suport vista..but if you run vista your requirements go waaaaay up. you can easily buy xp sp2c(or b) form newegg.com so there's no need for vista.

My rig is an athlon xp 2400+ with 1.5 gigs of ram and a radeon 9600XT agp card. I run gw @1024x768x32 bit color with 4x AA and all graphics options set to max. My system runs most times without a single hitch.

I have tried this in Vista on this box and even at 1024x768 with everything tunred down the game is playble..but looks like garbage. If i try to make it look good the game stutters, freezes and other nasties.

For a vista machine:
at least a athlon64 4000+ or fast(intel p-4 3.3 ghz or faster..intel core series 2.2 ghz or faster) at least 3 gigs of memory and nothing smaller than an 8600GT.

My Rig is an HP Dual AMD core 3800+ with 1 gig of RAM (For now hehe. Upgrading to 4 this week) I run a GeForce7600 at almost max specs without any problems. Course I also run at 1024x768. :D Hope that helps.

My Rig is an HP Dual AMD core 3800+ with 1 gig of RAM (For now hehe. Upgrading to 4 this week) I run a GeForce7600 at almost max specs without any problems. Course I also run at 1024x768. :D Hope that helps.
unless you are running 64 bit stay with 3..otherwise you won't see all 4 gigs..you may even not see much more than 3.25 gigs.

According to my computer I'm seeing 4. :D And yes it does run a lot faster.

(Just got delivered today.)

ah i bet you are running an intel cpu. they have a workaround called PAE which basically does the old emm386 remapping of lower memory. You loose about 10% memory performance though.

Well i plan to get Vista 32, 8800 GT or the new 8800 GTS when they are out, either a Intel core 2 quad or a Penryn dual core when they are out...so yeah mine will run this baby:D

Well i plan to get Vista 32, 8800 GT or the new 8800 GTS when they are out, either a Intel core 2 quad or a Penryn dual core when they are out...so yeah mine will run this baby:D
get xp pro. I have been testing Vista on several platforms and right now there's absolutely ZERO benefit to vista.

Thus far from everything I have seen Vista does nothing but eat up resources. Sure it looks pretty. But I need function ability, not pretty colors. I would go with XP myself.

*cough cough*

Fedora 7

*cough cough*

Sorry had something in my throat.

Oh hey look I found a URL in my pocket!
http://fedoraproject.org/

:D Just an option. Looks cool, and less resource-hungry. Plus, it's free. :D

http://centos.org

Fedora's distro is nothing but betas(red hat even says so). Centos is the Enterprise release of RHEL and you don't have to worry about upgrading your box every 18 months. Or go with debian or ubuntu or gentoo which don't have real versions(it's very easy to upgrade between releases) without having to redo your mahcine every release.

Back