UBISoft sure knows how to please their customers.

ewoksrule

UBI Soft just pissed me off today. Last week they had a special where if you install their "uPlay" software you get assassins creed 1 for free as a digital download via the service. I figured it was a fair trade, install their crap steam software for a free 5 year old game. I got it downloaded and started playing for a day when .....

Today I got this email.

Quote:
We're sorry!
It turns out we made a pricing mistake with the Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition. Unfortunately, this means we will have to revoke your game serial key within the next 48 hours. As a token of our apology, we would like to offer you a 25% off coupon good for your next purchase* on the UBIShop.

Your Coupon Code:

Thank you for your interest in Assassin’s Creed: Director’s Cut Edition and please accept our sincerest apologies.

What?? I can figure not fulfilling the orders in process but revoking the keys of those already playing?!? Its a digital download of a 5 year old game, there is zero cost?!?

This totally pisses me off.....now to uninstall this crap delivery software that I was bait-n-switched on.

I'd file a complaint, seems to be like that would be against the law. Just like if I took a game to the register at Wal-Mart that was $50 and it rung up $40 they have to give it to me for the $40, because that's the price at the point-of-sale.

(at least that's how I understand it)

[begin rant]Years ago...

The World: Hey this digital distribution thing is great. I don't have to mess with my inconvenient disks anymore. Let's all jump on the bandwagon!

Gerbil: You realize you are giving up more of your rights and tying yourself to them perpetually by not having a physical disk, right?

The World: The publishers won't abuse it they said so. Even if they do I'll just go somewhere else.

Gerbil: Publishers are people who die and are replaced, all are sinners. It's not a question of if but when they will abuse their power. Eventually alternatives beyond digital will dwindle because everyone will have switched to it. Like I'd expect publishers, morally solely motivated by profit, to perpetually maintain an obsolete and expensive disk system once few use it, I don't think so. Once they realize that you have no alternative then your rights will really be violated. (In related comments: Yay planned obsolescence and people wonder why we have full landfills!)

The price of convenience is the relinquishing of power and choice.[/end rant]

Last edited:
Back