[Updated]: Hulu Plus vs Netflix vs Cable; Smart TV vs Roku

Odale

Does anyone here have any of these three items (specifically Hulu Plus or Netflix)? How would you rate the content they offer and are you satisfied with it? Personally I'm thinking of getting Hulu Plus and want to know how it fairs in comparison with the other two.

The big thing is to search to find the movies/programs you want.

Hulu has more TV programs and more contemporary stuff (and more of the older shows which is what I like) but despite the fact you pay for the service, you still have to put up with their ads. Yes, you get to pay for the privilege of watching commercials on your computer, console or mobile device. This is my big annoyance with Hulu. We got a month free trial and I was excited because they carry I Spy and McHale's Navy (among others) but sitting through 15 min of commercials for an hour program in a paid service bothers me.

We've had Netflix direct for a few years. We started when they offered both DVDs and streaming but kept the streaming because we weren't getting as many DVDs. Anyhow it has a lot of options I've been watching old Dr. Who, my kids watch Mythbusters, Star Trek and Storm Chasers. No commercials, good quality streaming via wifi works very well. I would recommend Netflix, but it depends on what you want to watch.

I like documentaries and shows like that. Does Netflix have documentaries on stuff like nature, science, politics, etc?

Yes, the have a good selection of documentaries and science programs (including Cosmos). If you go to their website you can see some of the movies they offer. You can also sight up for a 1 month trial to see if you like it. My wife got a 1 month trial to Hulu+ too so you should be able to try each out too.

Seems like we have covered this before, but that is ok. I have Netflix and a Roku player, the Roku player being a one time purchase. http://www.roku.com/ The one time purchase is quit a bit more than when I first bought one 4 years ago, but their customer service is totally painless. When I first got Roku it blew out 6 months in, and they replaced the whole thing in less than 2 weeks at no cost. There are quit a few free channels on Roku, I am currently exploring the Smithsonian Channel. Netflix is one of the available channels on the Roku player, so pay a few bucks a month for Netflix, I pay 16 and change for one Dvd plus the streaming, and use a Roku. Even the most jaded couch potato could keep happy with that combo. Setting up the Roku player wireless is pain free and easy, even a low tech geezer like myself can do it right out of the box. If ya decides to do Hulu+ you can run that through Roku also. Yes I and my better half are totally happy with the combination, beats paying 39.95 ea month for basic cable which we would detest except for one or two channels.

edit: Ooops just checked prices on Roku again. The most basic box is actually cheaper than when I bought one.

Last edited:
Instead of an edit I'll just say I also run Pandora through Roku player also.

Yeah I thought we talked about this before, at least a few times. But companies change and they change what they offer... you know.

I was definitely considering getting a nicely-sized LED TV (much like this one) or either getting a larger, more nicely-sized TV and a Roku. However, larger TVs (around 40") + a Roku would be more expensive than the smaller Smart TV. So I think the Smart TV is what I will stick with (especially if I can snag a Samsung!).

I've got Netflix and Hulu Plus and am dropping Hulu Plus. I don't want to pay for a dedicated service to watch commercials, when the content just doesn't work for me.

Not to mention not everything is available via device, some things can only be watched on the computer.

I'm in pretty much the same accord as the rest. I've had all 3 at one point in my life. I don't have any of the above now, because I'm without internet access currently. Good thing I've got a solid mobile device data plan :p

Anyway, cable tv pretty much useless for me because I really only watch ESPN. The kids watch a lot of Disney and NickJr. I just seemed ridiculous to pay that much for 3 channels.

Hulu Plus was nice when I was hooked on some new TV series. Netflix is usually a bit behind on getting current seasons available to view. As everyone else mentioned though, if I'm going to pay for a service I shouldn't have to sit through commercials. Seriously.

Netflix I loved. The streaming version is a bit limited on selection, but there is still a pretty good variety to choose from. As stated previously, the only thing thats a downside is the time it takes to get newer shows/movies available for viewing.

Well from the looks of y'all's input I'll be getting Netflix. Thanks for the tips y'all! :D

Now I just need to decide on a Smart TV or a regular TV + Roku.

Before you go the smart tv route check out some of the tricks of the higher end Rokus, like replay. The most expensive Roku is only 100.00, yeh, yeh, yeh, 99.99 with free shipping. Still that's close enough to call 100. But you can save some on the tv and have a device that will be compatible with any tv anywhere. Sorry love my basic bone stock Roku it has saved me so much money. And look at ALL of the channels available, including for a small fee Crunchy Roll, not just the few shown on the advertising splash page on the website.

edit: Try navigating to the Faith and Religion category

Last edited:
Rats tired of editing. Look at the bottom of the Roku page and click on all channels, when ya get to THAT page scroll sideways at the top. Odale you is a bad influence, I added two free channels under Faith and Spirituality, while surfing to see what is available for you.

haha, yeah I saw all of the channels available. Admittedly, Roku has a lot more channels than I had previously thought, and the Roku I'd buy was the $79.99 model.

When you add channels do you have to buy them or is their content just added to the content on your Roku?

You can consider my new TV one of yours and buy me a Roku too! :D Kidding.

They must be pretty good for you to buy all of your TVs their own Roku.

The pay fer channels are marked, you aren't paying Roku, you are paying the service provider. Pay fer channels can nickle and dime ya to death, but I just avoid them and do well anyway. I have recently dropped several channels, and picked up several channels, total cash outlay $0.00. Try viewing it as a Buffet cable. Don't have to pay for extraneous garbage, just pick and choose how much or how little ya pay for. And after looking at the new Roku players available, if I had the cash, I'd get the most expensive model. The remote with headphones would be great for our place.

You can consider my new TV one of yours and buy me a Roku too! :D Kidding.

They must be pretty good for you to buy all of your TVs their own Roku.

They are just soooo user friendly. I have a home server with PLEX and all our kid's tv shows/movies. My 6 year old can navigate the ROKU and pull up any content and play it with ease. It is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention some channels are both pay and free. One example that comes to mind is Pub-de-Dub, you can either pay for complete service or pay for a light service. I use just the light service of Pub-de-Dub, I love those old army training cartoons from WWII, and some of the other old stuff they have. I have to agree with Ewok, it is easy to navigate, and setup is as close to fool proof as you will every find.

Last edited:
Back