War and the Christian Perspective

MeridianFlight

I was browsing through CARM.net, an apologetics ministry. I came across their view on war, and found it interesting.

http://www.carm.org/questions/war.htm

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm fascinated by everyone's opinon on this. What do you believe a Christian's stance on war should be? The article mentions passages in Romans and 1 Peter that appears to justify the actions of government.

So, what's your take?

Like in Ecclesiasties.. (sp) There is a time for war a time for peace....
Thats the way this world spins...

It depends on which war you're talking about.

How many times did God either start a war or advocate a war?

Bush is a Christian isn't he? How do you know God didn't talk to GW and tell him to wage this war?

Don't you think Bush, as a Christian, prayed about his decision to start this war? If so, then as a Christian, you should support every decision he makes, since God is his copilot.

Right?

Dark Virtue said:
...you should support every decision he makes, since God is his copilot.

Right?
Nobody hears God correctly all the time. Some denominations (Greek Orthodox especially) believe God is too ineffable to communicate directly with us at all.

Interesting. Then how do YOU know if you hear God correctly?

I mean, we're talking about GOD here. How can God not make sure that the person he communicates with hears him CORRECTLY? ESPECIALLY if that person is the leader of the free world. Don't you think God would take special care to make sure GW would understand him?

I'm not sure why you would assume that since George Bush proclaims to be a Christian and was elected as President of the United States of America that he would automatically become God's death dealer.

For one thing, I never assume that a person prays. I've known many a Christian whose prayer life was not very active. I also cannot just assume that since George Bush believes in God and attends church that he has a strong personal relationship with the Lord. I don't really think that God cares as much about the political process as we like to think He does.

I personally don't try and understand war. Maybe I should, but it's really just a large headache. I pray that all will come to know the Lord (not for peace) because if that happens, everything else will take care of itself.

Mr_Slice said:
I'm not sure why you would assume that since George Bush proclaims to be a Christian and was elected as President of the United States of America that he would automatically become God's death dealer.

I didn't say that, now did I?

I suggest you reread my post.

Both of your above posts imply that Bush might have prayed about starting the war and that because he's a Christian and the leader of the free world God would have told him what to do.

Mr_Slice said:
Both of your above posts imply that Bush might have prayed about starting the war and that because he's a Christian and the leader of the free world God would have told him what to do.

YES, and that is MUCH different than what you claimed in your previous post.

Why would God NOT communicate with a Christian President?

Now you've missed my point. The fact that George W. Bush is the President of the United States mean nothing. George W. Bush's personal relationship with the Lord is what would dictate how God communicates with him. And since I do not know anything about this man's personal relationship with the Lord, I shouldn't assume anything regarding it.

The reason I bring that up is that many Christians believe that God is instrumental in who is elected to public offices.

Since the President of the United States is THE most influential and powerful position on earth, one would assume that God had a hand in assigning the position.

How can you be a Christian and NOT have communication with God?

I understand why you made the point. And I agree with you that most Christians believe that God has something to do with who gets elected. I just am not one of those Christians. Heh.

I think that there is a difference between being a Christian who has an active relationship with the Lord and calling yourself a Christian. When I got divorced after my first marriage lasted only six months, I turned my back on God for almost five years. I still claimed to be a Christian because I believed that Jesus was my Savior, but I had no relationship with God whatsoever. I only got further and further away. I hope I'm explaining what I mean well.

How do you know GW doesn't have an active relationship with the Lord?

Do you second guess everyone who claims they are a Christian? What has GW done to make you think he's not a "true" Christian?

Dark Virtue said:
How do you know GW doesn't have an active relationship with the Lord?

Do you second guess everyone who claims they are a Christian? What has GW done to make you think he's not a "true" Christian?
I'm not going to engage in a game with you, DV. I merely made the case that I don't know a person's true relationship with Christ. I never assumed one way or another about George Bush's Christian life and I will not do so now. That is between him and the Lord.

Well I guess I'll pick up my marbles and go home :p

I simply don't understand why you are making such a huge issue out of God communicating with GW. It's hard for me to understand when you won't answer questions regarding the subject.

I have answered the questions. I'm not making a big deal out of anything. I'm calling out your earlier posts that purposely implied something in order to make us question our faith. I don't appreciate that and was making it known that what you implied was pretty much inaccurate as it is.

You read something into my post that not only wasn't there, but wasn't implied either.

Had I done such a thing, I would apologize, but I did not.

Back