Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

E

Elkwyn

I have Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and it has been one of the most fun games I've ever played. Now that expansion The Frozen Throne has come out, my mother won't let me because she now feels that it is demonic. I'm asking for your opinions to either change her mind or change my mind. Thanks in advance.

I dunno why you'd wanna get The Frozen Throne. I bought WC3 just a couple of weeks after it came out, and I wasn't able to play it. I just got a new computer, installed WC3, and beat the Human campaign, but was watching the story segments, and saw that Arthas got Frostmourne, which supposedly ate his soul. Ick. But, I wanted to beat the game, so I proceeded to the UnDead segment of the game. The UnDead made me uncomfortable, so I used cheats to skip through the UnDead campaign, watching the movies as I went to the Orc campaign. Not only do you resurrect a necromancer in the UnDead campaign, but you summon a demon from the evil Burning Legion. That was too much for me. So, now I'm inclined to agree with your mom. The game may be fun, but it is definately not cool, if you get my meaning. Give me StarCraft any day. Or better yet, Alpha Centauri.

I'm not sure.. But i don't know why your mom should oppose you buying a game.. it's just a game COME ON! all created by these stupid 3d and digital stuffs.. It is not real, and if she feels uncomfortable, just don't look at it, or skip it like ido.. I always skipped Undead campaign.. and I loved the last campaign where you fight the undead and defend your selves (nightelves) Just tell her that its not real, and that you'll skip the demonic stuffs.

I'll admit Arthas does look pretty evil. Didn't stop me from buying the game. However, I have never played as the undead except in the undead campaign. Your mom is the same as my mom would be except I don't tell my mom what games I buy, as it's my decision what I should be able to play.

Still...the whole thing about a soul eating sword. This went way too far into evil stuff. Look, if you skip over the bad stuff in Silent Hill, or the bad stuff in Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, its still there. Overlooking it doesn't mean it would go away, it just means that its there and you aren't acknowledging it. I say that people just shouldn't buy games like that, and the very fact that developers are including demonic stuff in games means that either they are into it, or they take the spiritual realm as fantasy, not as something that humans cannot see.

Then I'll go pwnz Arthas up with my StarCraft Force
tounge.gif

But Silent Hill rocks, it should not be compared on the same level as WC3: FT.  Silent Hill is very deep.  I believe everything in Silent Hill is there for a purpose, and I do not believe it is glorifying evil.  I mean, the whole time you are fighting again evil in Silent Hill.  However, 4 Horseman is just flat out trying to be evil. I mean upside down crosses, pentagrams, blood and gore everywhere all the time, and "angel" named Abaddon? Four Horseman is clearly evil, but don't bash Silent Hill until you've delved deeper. But anyway, how is a soul eating sword any different than a ring which controls 9 other rings which can be used to bend people to your will.  I mean how is LOTR ok and WC3 not.

ok basicly i own and love WC3 TFT, it isnt as bad as the first one in my oppion

the first set of missions is the Night elf (NE)
you start off as the warden hunting down illidian and through it all you learn about the history of the night elfs and of other races as well as have some fun at it. you do have to remember though illidian is not NE or Demon he is half and half , he looks awsome. basicly your job in this mission is to stop illidian.

then you have the human campain. you start off as the Bloodmage and go through 3 lvls on azeroth, then after your own ppl back stab you , you join up with illidian and go to dultor the orcs old homeworld, where you fight off demons and kill a pit lord so that illidian can become master of outworld( its new name) so he can hide from his master( the guy who made nerzhul) basicly you play as the humans and on a few mission u get to have illidian.

the undead campain is very unquie you basicly start out in azeroth as a lvl 10 unit and over maps you loss lvls until you reach the frozen throne and help nerzhul cuz he is lossing powers and junk like that.

as far as more demons in this its just about the same if not LESS than RoC.

Ok, first of all, LotR is very definately different than WC3. I mean, you have J.R.R. Tolkien, a member of the Christian writers group that C.S. Lewis was part of. And you also have a great many analogies between the Bible and LotR. LotR never talks about demons. It talks about Sauron, who, if you read The Silmarillon, is like Lucifer. He was a valar, an angel, and was cast out of heaven for doing his own thing. Then he started corrupting creation. WC3 just has the Undead Scourge, raising the dead with necromancy, and is nt even on a level to be compared to LotR.

This is merely my opinion but....

I've played through most of WC3, and would have to argue in its favor (at least when it comes to Arthas).  Arthas is a bit of an anti-hero and a Boromir figure.  He lives to protect his people, even if it means using dark and dangerous methods (Azeroth is very Tolkien-esque).

Admittedly, I was a bit uncomfortable playing the Undead campaign, but it did advance the plot and set up the final victory of the good guys.

For Iamscott, when he said that demons didn't figure into Tolkien, that's not entirely true.  When Tolkien was first inventing orcs, he derived their collective name from the Old English for demon.

I'll never figure out why some people have problems with fighting demons in games, anyways.  We fight them in real life, after all!

Sauron is a demon - a Maiar. He is a finger of the claw of Morgoth - who is what you would consider to be a Luciferian archetype.

And the Balrog - the Balrog is a fallen Maiar. And Saruman, he is ALSO a fallen Maiar.

And the undead in Warcraft III are just as much victims as the Humans, Orcs and Elves. Nerzhul is NOT a free agent, he is controlled by the head Demon, who gives him specific orders and enforces those orders with threats. You might not like Arthas, possibly because his story hits a little too close to home. A lot of "good" knights went down that road (albeit not to the extent that HE did) during the time of the Crusades.

Speaking as a Developer, I've never worked with ANYONE who I would describe as "into" Demons. I'll admit that pretty much ALL of the Developers I've worked with don't believe in real invisible Demons chasing round after peoples souls - but then, few Developers are bible-chewing Fundies.

It must be comforting to look out upon all the evil done in men and believe in possessing Demons corrupting them. Sadly, mankind has never needed ANY help in that regard - most evil is done by selfish, unhappy and needy people who lash at what they see as an uncaring world.

Eon

Ok, Eon, you're right. I forgot something...hold on while I go find this book...alrighty then. It wasn't in that book. But I was just trying to find something about the Balrog, and I remember this much of what it was: the Balrog is a demon of the First Age. Sauron is a fallen Valar, right? In essence, a sort of fallen angel. As for the whole developer thing, maybe that's why some developers include demons in games...they take them as merely objects of fantasy.

Sauron is a fallen Maiar, not a Valar, as opposed to Melkor (or Morgoth) who is (or was) a fallen Valar.

Sorry - I'm really nitpicky!
biggrin.gif

lol i really cant say much to add, but i did play it a bit at a local shop. it was just a map someone created, and i was night elves and had a random comp. the random happen to be undead. it had a blast playing it. but when it comes to buying it, those thoughts are long gone

Sauron was one of the higher Maiar though just to clear that up, he was on par with Wise sent to middle earth to turn the tide against him.

Balrogs where demons corrupted Maiar i believe,
Morgoth was the "devil" figure, although unless you read the histories and stuff you would never know that lol

anyway Eon knows his Lotr like me lol Rock on Eon!

W3rd, Lion! ;)

Maiar is kind of a catchall rank - I believe it's similar to the word "Angel". For example, you've got the Balrog (who might rate somewhat like a Cherubim) you've got Gandalf and Saruman who rate somewhat higher (somewhat like a Malakim) and then you've got Sauron who rates somewhat like a Seraphim.

The Valar are Gods in their own rights, of course - as was Morgoth/Melkor. Morgoth, of course, means "He who arises in Might" and Melkor means "Dark enemy".

Eon

Hey Eon, I believe that you've switched the actual meanings of Melkor's two names.

Melkor means "he who arises in might" and Morgoth means "dark enemy." Notice the etymology: Morgoth = dark enemy; Mordor = dark land; Morwen = dark lady; Morduin = dark river; etc., etc.

umm is that an actual language or is it just something found in the LOTR books and the complete guide to middle earth?

Back