Warcraft - and the 666.

TroubledSoul

Hello all, I am indeed new here, and have posted because I am deeply burdened. I have been playing WoW since release, and have enjoyed it greatly (60 mage, 60 shaman). But recently I have unearthed something that troubles me very very much... looking through item lists at the various upgrades I can get, I discovered something disheartening... all tier 2 cloth armor set values add up to be 666 (tier 2 meaning Onyxia stuff, Ragnaros stuff, and of course Blackwing Lair stuff).

What do you guys make of this? I tried to tell myself it was a coincidence, but it is every t2 cloth set.

Also, I tried posting this on the WoW forums, but was of course laughed off... hopefully I don't recieve the same treatment here.

God Bless

Umm, I'll try field this with a question...

What (in scripture) was the requirement of recieving the mark of the beast?

>It was the act of worshipping the beast. I don't think that the tier 2 sets require us to worship the second tier. Although... ;)

If the tier 2 cloth armor sts add up to 666, and that is intentional, it's most likely a joke. Albeit a dumb, possibly cruel, one. Remember, this IS blizzard. Besides, you are most likely NOT going to have 0 Agility, and 0 armor from other sources, so you will not be likely to have a total number of armor equal to 666.

Either way, there is nothing actually in scripture calling 666 the mark of the beast... 666 is simply part of the riddle of the beast's mark. There is a lot of leeway in that passage.

"He [The Beast of the Earth] required everyone - small and great, rich and poor, free and slave - to be given a mark on the right hand or on the forehead.
And no one could buy or sell anything without that mark, which was either the name of the beast or the number representing his name.
Wisdom is needed here. Let the one with understanding solve the meaning of the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man [or of men]. His number is 666 [or 616]." --- Rev 13:16-18 (emph. added)

4 points to be made here...

1. The mark is a requirement. Noone in WoW is required to have a tier 2 set.
2. You cannot buy or sell without it. I buy and sell a lot.
3. The number 666 is not the beast, although it IS one of several marks of the beast.
4. We can't be sure it is 666 either... several old copies of the Bible (ancient biblical manuscripts) have it written as 616.

You never have people freaking out over 616, now do you?
I'm not discounting the 666 factor on T2 cloth... I looked at allakhazam too. I am just saying, I am not sure that that means that WoW is the instrument of the devil by which he will work out the end times. I really think the work of the beast will be bigger than just a computer game.

Coincidence? no.
Blizzard loves to play the apocalypse game, whether it is the boss 'The Beast', the Tattoo on the wrist to activate the portal into BWL, or an armor value or so. But does that make WoW the mark of the beast? Hardly. Not enough people play it.

Oh... and all of the T2 sets share the same armor values, depending on their type.

>Cloth: 666 armor
>Leather: 1292
>Mail: 2773
>Plate: 4925

so, perhaps it is a coincidence.

But, weigh it in your spirit with prayer (and, perhaps if you are really troubled, some fasting). Don't just take my word on it.

There is nothing inheritantly evil about the number 666 unless it is used in the manner as Neirai just mentioned. It is just a number. Just as the number 13 is only a number.

I think you nailed it John...I don't think there's much to add. Too bad the cloth armor value is 666...I'd rather it be 2390!

I think if you add up enough numbers (especially in game driven by numbers) you will eventually get that number. =) Nice that you were sensitive enough about it to post it tho. :)

Dude it's nothing serious, it's a coincidence. Simple, it ain't a sick joke either, just enjoy the game and pretend it never happened. :)

Guys thank you very much for your responses, its something that has been troubling me for a while now. Also nice not to get laughed up over it :)

Here is what I mean by 'joke'

In the olden times before alpha testing (but when nosy computer game magazines were looking into it), WoW had only 4 classes... The mage, warrior, shaman (the only healing class) and the warlock.

I can just see someone at blizz:: "Let's make the Warlock T2 Set's armor add up to 666! LOL!!" It isn't that much of a stretch, seeing as (according to the article in PCG about the 4 classes of WoW) the Warrior and the Warlock were the first completed classes. (Which may explain why they were the first to be buffed post-gold) Eventually, all of the T2 cloth sets were made to be the same armor value, just with differing stat buffs. This would make all of the T2 sets have an armor value of 666.

Oh and in response to Awnold's post: Exactly right. Besides, according to this handy sheet, we can see that the Beast has already been Identified::

::::::::;;;;;;Handy Dandy Beast Identifier;;;;;;::::::::

1. Take the phrase: "Cute Purple Dinosaur"
2. Change U's to V's (As if this were Latin, the Language of Scripture): "CVte PVrple DinosaVr"
3. Separate out the Roman Numerals: "C V V L D I V"
4. Change them to Arabic Numerals: "100 5 5 50 500 1 5"
5. Add them together: "666"
6. There you have it. Barney is the Beast. Like we ever doubted in the first place

>>This just goes to show that with enough effort, anyone can find 666 ANYWHERE. Whether hidden on Credit Cards in Maine, encoded in Britney Spears' liner notes, hidden in T2 cloth sets, backwards masked in Boston's More Than A Feeling, or drawn into Disney movies.

To quote the message backwards masked into a song by Petra.... "Why don't you look for God, not the devil?" :)

I am laughing about the Barney thing...i respect your opinion in finding out the additions of T2 armour but i think maybe people have more of an issue of getting over the "magic" side of WoW rather than a "search for me if you can 666". Don't get me wrong, I haven't even played WoW yet but i do know that the people within The Forgiven are mature enough to handle it. But i do come across Christians who will not play games that involve Magic instances or Magik references. Has this been an issue at all for you? I am just asking because you were having a conflict of morality over the whole armour thing. Wondering how selective it is for you. And just wanting to help.

Others? Maybe this whole "magic" thing is a question suitable for the FAQ section on the website...

Oh yeah, it is one of the questions we will be providing a response for. To challenge one's thinking, I would like to know if people have issues with WoW, did they have issues with LotR or the Lion, Witch and the wardrobe? Just some food for thought ...

I like to take it even further. If they have a problem with WoW, did they ever play cops and robbers? Read fiction? As Adam said, do people get offended by The Chronicles of Narnia? A series of awesome books if you ask me. Lets say I didn't like the books, "Come on? Talking animals? Was that the devils work? A talking snake? ring any bells?" You can pretty much twist anything you want into being negative. A lot of it has to do with shifting blame I think, a lot of finger pointing. Lets say someones child plays a lot of WoW, too much in fact. Now the parents are upset about this, this WoW game, "Look, it has warlocks! magic spells! demon summoning!". Ok, so now they think this game is evil, thats the reason their child is spending too much time in this game... or is it? Aren't they the parents? Don't they have a responsibility to stop their child from over doing any one activity? be it games, sports, eating? Who has the money that pays for the subscription, who bought the kid the game? Instead of addressing the real problems, they blame something that can't fight back and is only evil if you make it so. An example? Garmin made a post saying(about WoW), "She confronted me 3 months ago and said I should stop because it is evil and deals with magic and evil characters." In the end, it had more to do with her husband playing more games than spending time with her. I know people have emotions, but if you take a second, you would realize that if he was reading the bible as much as he was playing WoW, and not including his wife in this activity, and remained focused to a point where it was not possible to hold a converstation, that she would most likely have confronted him as well, but would probably have been more honest about her problem with his activity. Tie this rant into 666? Its a number, no more a symbol of the devil than the #1. I can make a case for that as well, striving to always be #1 causes people to be selfish, unsportsman like, leads to steroid use, etc. I mean, if you think about it, 666 is really just 666 #1's, the horror!

Counselor has a more professional viewpoint to this as well in the Garmin thread, http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10752&page=2

*steps off his soapbox*

Back