Warfare without vehicles

I like it. I have always hated vehicles ever since they were introduced to the unreal series. I do think that Unreal Tournament 3 has the best, most unique/interesting, and most balanced vehicles out of any other shooter, but they just aren't for me. I like to keep it old school and just kill people on foot. Wouldn't this make the game type more similiar to domination? As long the map is small enough to go around killing people without having to hoverboard or walk too far. I'm down. I don't know how tek would feel though. He sure loves his vehicles.... :eek: Unreal is one of those kinds of games where I don't like to think too much (except for duels of course)....just react and kill, and this kind of game type I think would be more simple for me because to this day I still don't understand warfare even though a handful of you have typed endless comments to me about what to do :confused:

I don't know how tek would feel though. He sure loves his vehicles.... :eek:
I do indeed. Flying the raptor (TOP GUN!) and driving the manta (PANCAKE!) are, for me, two of the most fun experiences in online games.

Standard Warfare maps would be much, much too large to not include vehicles. That's probably why Epic added the hoverboard in Warfare. (For those not in the known, there was no hoverboard in UT2004's comparable Onslaught mode.)

"Control point" gametypes in other games (Team Fortress 2 comes to mind) already do a great job of encouraging teamplay rather than deathmatch. I agree with MH that the Unreal series Domination gametype also does a good job of this.

So between Warfare maps being WAY too big to travel by foot and Domination already doing a respectable job fitting the "control point" niche in the UT series, I can't imagine there would be much demand for a vehicle-less Warfare with custom smaller maps--especially with the active UT3 player base as small as it is.

Wow, there's some real animosity toward those who enjoy Warfare in that thread. For a second, I'd thought I stumbled onto a Quake players forum (okay, maybe they're not that rude).

I do indeed. Flying the raptor (TOP GUN!) and driving the manta (PANCAKE!) are, for me, two of the most fun experiences in online games.

[...]

So between Warfare maps being WAY too big to travel by foot and Domination already doing a respectable job fitting the "control point" niche in the UT series, I can't imagine there would be much demand for a vehicle-less Warfare with custom smaller maps--especially with the active UT3 player base as small as it is.

Exactly. My opinion on "war minus cars" is that it may very well be fun, but people who really, really enjoy warfare will most likely miss out on the vehicle combat.

Wow, there's some real animosity toward those who enjoy Warfare in that thread. For a second, I'd thought I stumbled onto a Quake players forum (okay, maybe they're not that rude).

I don't really see any animosity in that particular thread, though some threads that debate the carzzz gametypes do get that way. I hope you didn't take my statement as animosity... I did mention not having good warfare players, but I'm refering to folks like myself and Mostly_Harmless. We are the sort that don't improve much in Warfare and learn the tricks like linked link guns since we don't spend much time with warfare. Even if it's not my favorite gametype, I love to see our server full. And we usually don't do too badly when WAR is voted. You'll see about half the players drop, but then more warfare fans who are watching server lists will see it and join us.

Mostly_Harmless said:
to this day I still don't understand warfare even though a handful of you have typed endless comments to me about what to do
It's time to fix this! Even without being a big fan of it, it's sad to be ignorant of what probably 50% of online UT3 players are playing. I've been needing to go through the campaign in coop sometime. Want to join me? That'll teach you the gametype, give you some new steam achievements, as well as demonstrate how frustrating it can be to be outnumbered by aim-bot AI :)

I don't really see any animosity in that particular thread, though some threads that debate the carzzz gametypes do get that way. I hope you didn't take my statement as animosity...
Not at all! I meant some of the posters in the thread you linked seemed to have some kind of bile against people who enjoyed playing shooter games with vehicles.

Exactly. My opinion on "war minus cars" is that it may very well be fun, but people who really, really enjoy warfare will most likely miss out on the vehicle combat.

I don't really see any animosity in that particular thread, though some threads that debate the carzzz gametypes do get that way. I hope you didn't take my statement as animosity... I did mention not having good warfare players, but I'm refering to folks like myself and Mostly_Harmless. We are the sort that don't improve much in Warfare and learn the tricks like linked link guns since we don't spend much time with warfare. Even if it's not my favorite gametype, I love to see our server full. And we usually don't do too badly when WAR is voted. You'll see about half the players drop, but then more warfare fans who are watching server lists will see it and join us.

It's time to fix this! Even without being a big fan of it, it's sad to be ignorant of what probably 50% of online UT3 players are playing. I've been needing to go through the campaign in coop sometime. Want to join me? That'll teach you the gametype, give you some new steam achievements, as well as demonstrate how frustrating it can be to be outnumbered by aim-bot AI :)

That's true. Me and my buddy Chris do need to learn how to play. From what I have expeirenced I think you are supposed to take an orb to the yellow flashing thing on the map and either kill the node or defend it. Once in a while I don't mind playing warfare because it's tek's favorite and we don't see him play too much, but for me it's discouraging being in such a big world where i feel vulnerable to getting run over by cars everywhere. I have to say the only vehicle i'll grab (If available) Is the tank. I LOVE that thing xD For the most part, I just follow danny and try to protect him. That's all i really do lol.

And yes, I do wish domination was more popular, We should check in with wr@ith and see how 4.1 is going. We didn't test it on our server yet. I hope you still have the link. We need captain tea to come back and set it up for us. I love it when our server is full too. I do realize that we usually get the most people when we play under deathmatch.

I will actually be spending more time off of sc II. I'm ebarassed to admit this, but the game litterally made me become neurotic. I havn't been sleeping at all and have been having some stomach pain. SC II is all that I think about and it bothers me that all I think about is how to play better and how to overcome situations. I need a break and will be doing some more ut III insted so hit me up. Playing so much has actually made me worse in the game not better.

Back