Warrior Build???

saudi

Finally reached Level 80. Anybody with a good warrior build? I have the beserkers armor set (rare not exotic), but not sure about traits or skills.

I have a great warrior build designed for high survival. Since I don't care if a fight lasts 2 seconds or 20 seconds, I have more patience for longer fights. So I have designed my warrior to be able to withstand enormous amounts of punishment and live to tell about it.

0/0/30/30/10 - Mace & Shield, Cleric's Shout build
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQNApeTncO08YyDSBxEZAA9ALwuSVAu0jyQLNA-jACBoNCiUDAUBRMLqIasVWFRjVNjIqWZDzIuIa1CBgcMA-e

Healing Power is the key to this build. The warrior already has the highest armor (heavy) and very good vitality. With these traits maxed out, healing power then restores any lost damage (whether by direct impacts, crits, or conditions). The shouts on the build, buff my attacks while removing a condition (due to the Superior Runes of the Soldier) as well as healing me for about 3.5k each, and gives me adrenaline (almost one full bar each). So pop all three, and I heal for a little over 10k (about half my health) which I can do while flat on my back or when rezzing someone. The other heal is adrenaline based - so I never use my "burst ability" because it drains my adrenaline unless its really, really safe to do so. So my heal also heals me for about 10k. So with the heal and shouts, I can go from almost dead to nearly full health in an instant. The shouts recharge quickly as does the heal. As for conditions, the shouts remove one condition each (with "Shake it Off" removing two conditions. So I have a triple condition removal and optimal healing. As for damage, this build allows for moderate level damage (2963 attack power). So its not super awesome like a glass cannon build, but its also not too bad either.

If the situation isn't serious, you can experiment with other weapons, too. Just change out the toughness traits for "non-weapon" bonuses. Sometimes I use double axes and sometimes I use a rifle. They all work well on a warrior. Since this is not a 'condition build' you probably would want to avoid condition weapons (such as a one hand sword).

very cool build..im only lv 10 on my warrior and i really like the longbow..ill have to try out mace and shield

I haven't gotten to warrior yet. Planning on doing that someday down the road when my wife gets a copy of GW2 so I can level alongside her ranger.

Your comments about staying alive were making me think about my recent foray into a more offensive build, though. I leveled my Mesmer as a condition damage mesmer with a ton of toughness, then levelled my elementalist as D/D with a ton of toughness as well. After the confusion nerf, I decided to try a direct damage shatter build on the Mesmer, and dropped a bunch of gold for mostly zerker gear.

What an eye-opening experience! After leveling two toons heavily invested in defense, it's wild to run around the world killing things by merely glancing in their direction!

I'm finding that variety is everything. After running around squishy for a while, it's refreshing to play tanky for a while, and after running around taking a while to kill things it's refreshing to switch back to super-nuke. I suppose trying balance might even be a nice change of pace at some point. :D

I'm only have a lvl16 Warrior so far and pushing strength the most, I think that gets me half fall damage. The first thing I did with my War was to work in all weapon skills so as to have a large range to work from. I still haven't tried sword/sword though, I do have all the skills just don't have 2 good swords, need to craft them. I'm mostly playing the War for giggles, an Asura with an axe in one hand and mace in the other madly thrashing around is just plain funny. The back up to the melee is rifle for ranged. Just haven't swapped out for bow, despite having all skills, because felt no compelling reason to yet. Any advice for lower lvls gladly considered.

sword/sword seems to be great for stacking bleeds..also if you use a rifle off-hand that will stack bleeds as well

It is true that sword and rifle are designed for condition damage. However, when you crunch the numbers, condition builds (in general, but particularly for warriors) and below what you can do for direct damage. Some professions can do extremely well with condition builds (such as condition Engineers), but for warriors, well, they just weren't designed that way. And a casual review of the warrior profession on ArenaNet's official forums will demonstrate that a large portion of the warrior community are complaining about how condition damage builds cannot equal what a "power" warrior can do. So until ArenaNet fixes conditions, I would recommend focusing more on power for now. You get more "bang" for your "buck" if you know what I mean.

In the build above, the only "absolute" keeps are the traits that deal with shouts (and armor Runes). The rest can be flexible. So if you want to try more power damage, you can (different weapons, more stats in offensive directions, different sigils). When I tried a hybrid approach, I really noticed the drop in healing power. I started dying a few times because my heals couldn't keep up anymore. So I switched back. So I keep a full set of Berserker's with Superior Runes of the Soldier and a full set of Cleric's with Superior Runes of the Soldier (and I'm able to switch between them on the fly as needed). I also carry multiple weapons with me to change out if needed. I like to keep my options open.

Last edited:
For asthetics what is the best war weapon? In short for your race what is the best weapon for looks?

I think I will stick with the greatsword. The mace and shield are not very effective against multiple enemies. Loving the bow though, as it does lots of damage with fire and stuff.

Depends on what you are fighting. For multiple "trash" mobs, yes, the greatsword is very good. Double axes works well, too. Mace and Shield are what synergizes with the traits though (and used for single target tanking such as boss fights). But yes, if you go greatsword, just adjust your trait to "non-weapon" specific ones and it'll work fine.

As for aesthetics, I think the greatsword, hammer, and rifle all have good visual appeal. The traditional sword and shield also looks good on a warrior (but unfortunately, the stats don't compliment one another).

Just got my Mesmer to 80 - so I'm going back to pick up my 50 Warrior. I'll have to give this build a try. Thanks for the info.

I've been using a great sword and either axe/shield or axe/axe. Haven't played him in so long I'd have to get used to the weapons again so may as well switch to the mace now.

Curious, Taran, why the longbow rather than greatsword or axw/axe as your secondary set? Just something for a little ranged or pulling?

I usually have one melee set and one ranged set at all times.

Ranged
The longbow is good for trash mobs (AoE). Rifle is good for single target. Both ranged. I usually wander around with a longbow because it will work on both trash mobs and bosses, whereas the rifle would be limited to one at a time (boss fights).

Melee
I use mace/shield, axe/axe, and greatsword. Mace/shield is for tanking hard fights. Axe/Axe is good for power/Empowered trait and has some AoE (but has a good fury buff on #4). Greatsword is good for AoE trash mobs. Use interchangably as needed.

Been using the longbow from levels 58 to 62 - love it. I start with the bow and switch to an axe/axe when they are on me. Works pretty well for leveling.

The mace and shield are not designed for multiple enemies; its designed for tanking really hard fights. For example, surviving against dungeon bosses and champions in the open world. For multiple targets, that's when I use double axes. Greatsword works, too, as you mentioned above.

Super Gnat is only lvl 24 but I have tried all combos, and the one I am using with most success with DB holo projectors is mace/mace, with rifle ranged. So far 10 points in Strength (yay half fall damage) and everything else in Discipline. I tried sword/sword but got owned terribly.

yeppers - me too - loving it. I load up a mace and shield instead of longbow for solo battles with champions and skill challenges. They make a good combo for close up work.

Back