Watermarking

Yes and they've been doing it since Friends and Family Alpha in 2003.

There's no personal information at all in the watermark. The userID is publicly visible on the Armory and the only people who can connect it to your account is Blizzard themselves.

It's not that big of a deal. It's a unique identifier, and a server address.

Complaining about this would be like complaining because the physical address of the U.S. Capital is listed on a picture of, wait for it, the Capital. You can't reasonably complain about identifiable information in a screenshot, for crying out loud. It's already public information.

I thought it was cool, not complaining. :)

* puts back on tinfoil hat *

I thought it was cool, not complaining. :)

* puts back on tinfoil hat *

Lol I didn't mean you, sorry. I had read this article a few days ago but it was on a different site. In the article and in its responses were a bunch of paranoid posters who seemed to believe that Blizzard either had some kind of conspiracy going on, or that they were violating their privacy.

My response was 1. IT'S A SCREENSHOT!!! 2. If you're doing something illegal and don't want Blizzard to see . . . wait . . . YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL 3. It's not YOUR information they're sharing, it's their own. It's a public IP! It would be just like if they posted www.blizzard.com on the watermark. 4. The posters determined that there really was no watermark after all (I don't know, and I don't care :) ), and that it was just a JPG compression thing that the author was seeing. They tested it on different realms and on different characters, and the watermark, or whatever it was, turned out to be roughly the same.

Edit: Oh, and sorry to rant. I just couldn't believe the ridiculousness or the hypocrisy of the posters concerns. Haha. I didn't mean to bring that here, but I guess I did. :)

Last edited:
Back