Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Durruck

Pirate!
I've had Psalm 13 open in a tab for days now. It just seems like the reminder I've been needing. So here's the verses for today:

Psalms 13:1-2,5-6
1 How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing the LORD’s praise,
for he has been good to me.

I removed the center stanza (verses 3-4) for no other reason than I wanted to make a point about the other two.

David wrote this cry to God, asking for God to show up, give him a little help, make things easier. He comes across in this Psalm as deeply troubled, sorrowful, even depressed.

In short, David was a mess.

But despite all his pains and struggles, he knew that God was still there and that God deserved honor and praise for all the good things that had happened to David.

These last few weeks have been rough on my family. My dad has cancer (again... 3rd different cancer in the last 12 months), and the treatment may cause him to go mostly blind. He developed some infection during his hospital stay. The tests showed more spots on his brain... A mostly healthy, active 59 year old Christian is being beat down by problem after problem. And yet he remains faithful and strong because he trusts in the Lord's unfailing love, trusts in His salvation, and sings praise to God, for He has been good.

I've come back to this psalm repeatedly (as well as a few others) and found great encouragement and reminders that it's not about the bad stuff that happens to us, but the GREAT things that God has done for us.

Your Dad has a wonderful testimony of faith and it is a blessing to hear it. It also give me another prayer focus. Thank you for sharing.

Back