What am I now, religiously?

Corpfox

Atheist? Agnostic?

Here are points:

- I briefly was a Christian.
- I have a tendency to curse.
- I don't curse to God/Jesus, since God/Jesus is not the one giving me problems.
- I believe there is a God, though, I do not accept God/Jesus gift.
- I respect to what Christians are/believe, though, I'm a silent type, so I don't say much about it.
- I get angry or/and I have grudges, against some or/and most of you.

PS: Yes, I could of posted this on the RD, but I'm afraid to go back to the RD since my last banning there.

Last edited:
I think the correct term would be sinner...but we all fall under that category.

Here's what I believe:

God created us to be with Him. (Genesis 1:26)
Our sin separated us from God. (Genesis 6:5,6)
Sins cannot be removed by our good deeds. (Titus 3:5)
Paying the price for our sin Jesus died and rose again. (I Cor. 15:3-4)
Everyone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life. (John 6:47)
Life that’s eternal means that we will be with Jesus forever. (Rev. 22:5)

Last edited:
Well said Tolkien.
However I would adjust one of your responses slightly.
Everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.
It should read,"Everyone who trusts in Him will have eternal life"

I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but it was a point that my Rabbi recently brought up. You can believe in the easter bunny, and you can believe in santa claus, but it doesnt mean they are real. We have to trust in Jesus, and let Him guide our hearts. Just believeing in Him wont really do you much good, giving yourself over to Him and trusting Him does.

I'd have to disagree with you Arkanjel, mainly because of this verse:
John 3:16:
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
The above quote backs up what Tolkien orginally said, which I agree with. Don't get me wrong, I do believe you should trust in the Lord, but I think they are two separate things.

As for the original poster: I agree with what Tolkien said. Couple questions though; do you believe in the Christian God, or do you believe in some other god, or do you just believe there is a god, but don't know which religion to follow? Also, if you believe in a god, why wouldn't you follow their religion/practices?

Tolkien said:

How uplifting. THAT is the attitude that turns people from Christianity.

Atheist? Agnostic?

Here are points:

- I briefly was a Christian.
- I have a tendency to curse.
- I don't curse to God/Jesus, since God/Jesus is not the one giving me problems.
- I believe there is a God, though, I do not accept God/Jesus gift.
- I respect to what Christians are/believe, though, I'm a silent type, so I don't say much about it.
- I get angry or/and I have grudges, against some or/and most of you.

If you believe that there is a god, then you cannot be an atheist, since atheists lack a belief in Gods.

I also don't believe you are agnostic, since agnostics typically claim that it's impossible to know whether or not gods exist and you have stated that you believe a god does, indeed, exist.

To me, it sounds like you are a Deist.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Deism (n): Belief in God as revealed by nature and reason combined with a disbelief in scripture, prophets, superstition and church authority.

Deism is a free-thought philosophy, much like Agnosticism, Atheism or Pantheism in that it rejects the dogmas and superstitions of religion in favor of individual reason and empirical observation of the universe. Deism differs from these other free-thought philosophies in that it sees an order and architecture to the universe that indicates a Creator. The word "God" is used to describe this creator, not to be confused with the "Biblegod."

Deism notes that we as humans are endowed with the power of reason and an indomitable spirit. It follows that we are intended to exercise them. Therefore, skepticism and doubt are not "sins" but rather natural expressions of God's gift of reason.

Because skepticism and doubt are not sins, Deists view with extreme suspicion any efforts by other humans to claim divine authority, such as claiming to be a "prophet" or citing "sacred scripture" said to be written by alleged prophets (as in the Bible, the Quran, the Book of Mormon, etc.). Placing faith in scriptures, prophets, priests, churches, "holy" figures, or traditions is surrendering your personal reason to another source. Usually, this other source has far less interest in "the state of your soul" as the accumulation of wealth and political power.

With scripture and revelation removed, all that remains to know God is personal reason and observation of the universe. Essentially, this is getting to know the artist by studying the artwork. The only "Word of God" is the universe itself.

Deism has had many famous advocates throughout history, particularly during the Age of Enlightenment. Some of the most famous American examples were many of the Founding Fathers of America. Contrary to the assertions of Christian Fundamentalists today, America was not founded on Christian ideals. "Nature's God", as invoked by the Declaration of Independence, is a reference to Deism.

Seriously Corpfox, you are not much different then anybody here. I'm sure as all I can be, that I am not any better then you. There are some items on your list that describe myself.

Religiously speaking, from the Christian point of view, you are a sinner just like the rest of us, so, welcome to the boat?

Religously speaking, from outside the Christion view point, you are in the agnostic camp. You believe in a higher power, for lack of better terms, you call it God, you reject the notion of Gods gift of salvation (Christian faith), I'm not sure why. If I had to guess, probably because you believe there is no way to know such a higher power, such knowledge is hidden from us.

I'm sure you hold grudges, most people do. People, christians included, have a hard time letting go of very emotional issues. Whether we are right or wrong is of no consequence, some body or some situation hurt us and letting go just doesn't seem right, fair or equitable and sometimes our pride just gets in the way.

Pretty much exactly what DV said, but I like to use the more general term Theist, because I think you do believe that there is an absolute theology, that you are searching for it, and that you believe that some do find it, but you're not sure if you will. Or I may be way off base, wouldn't be the first time.

DV, I think the fact that we are all sinners is actually a reason that people turn to Christianity, as pure Christianity would state that all people are created equally, and that God's grace is a free gift available to anyone by faith.

Gods_Peon said:
Religously speaking, from outside the Christion view point, you are in the agnostic camp. You believe in a higher power, for lack of better terms, you call it God, you reject the notion of Gods gift of salvation (Christian faith), I'm not sure why. If I had to guess, probably because you believe there is no way to know such a higher power, such knowledge is hidden from us.

That's not agnosticism, that's Deism.

Deism (n): Belief in God as revealed by nature and reason combined with a disbelief in scripture, prophets, superstition and church authority.

I've never read a scripture, and don't know what are prophets and superstition. And I've only been to a church once.

Goose62 said:
I'd have to disagree with you Arkanjel, mainly because of this verse:

The above quote backs up what Tolkien orginally said, which I agree with. Don't get me wrong, I do believe you should trust in the Lord, but I think they are two separate things.

From the Strong's Hebrew and Greek dictionaries:

(John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth 4100 in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

G4100
πιστεύω
pisteuō
pist-yoo'-o
From G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), that is, credit; by implication to entrust (especially one’s spiritual well being to Christ): - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

I hate to split the hairs, but the word was not entirely translated correctly. This information was taken from the software e-Sword. It is freely available for free download and is a great thing to have handy on your computer. It doesnt take up much space, but the information it provides is immense.

www.e-sword.net :) :) :)

Here's what I believe:

^yeah

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
Pretty much exactly what DV said, but I like to use the more general term Theist, because I think you do believe that there is an absolute theology, that you are searching for it, and that you believe that some do find it, but you're not sure if you will. Or I may be way off base, wouldn't be the first time.

I think Theist is way too broad of a term, more broad than what he's looking for.

DV, I think the fact that we are all sinners is actually a reason that people turn to Christianity, as pure Christianity would state that all people are created equally, and that God's grace is a free gift available to anyone by faith.

In respect of corpfox, I'll avoid the entangling discussion to keep the thread on track.

Corpfox said:
I've never read a scripture, and don't know what are prophets and superstition. And I've only been to a church once.

Granted. What is important though, is in your OP:

"I believe there is a God, though, I do not accept God/Jesus gift."

I guess I should have asked before assuming, but do you believe that capital G God exists or something more akin to a supreme force kinda thing?

The fact that remains, you are a Christian. And I think there is no such thing as a "Sinner" Christian as a title.

Yes, everyone does sin, christian or not, but I'm trying to find out a 'facted' title for me, in your religious knowledge and experiences, since most of you are, Christians.

Is there anything other than being a 'sinner' that doesn't relate to the Christian community?

Here's what I believe:

Yes, as a Christian, it is what you believe in, for me, its what I know. Though, I am not willing to believe it, you know the saying, "Seeing is believing."
However, I can not go miles and miles into the past to see how that began, I can know the true facts of who/what/how/why are you a Christian.
All I'm looking are the facts about being religious and knowing Christianity, otherwise, if the facts from what I've been told, heard and seen are false, it does make me supicious of what are you real motives.

Going OUT of the religious discussion box, i'm thinking along more the lines of why most people DO NOT accept christianity or they stay outside of it for awhile.

I strongly believe that most of the time people do not know what being a christian is LIKE or they have their own personal views about being a christian from the outside, and see either it is a worse, or is nothing better. However, as my signature says, there isn't such thing as a christian without passion. Most people that I find that used to be christians, were exposed to church, but their church was either spiritually dead - important topic, but notime to type more - or they simply themselves lacked passion at the time, and then believed that the christian life was nothing more than some religion. (it is, but i'm talking in a differnet context)

Corpfox said:
All I'm looking are the facts about being religious and knowing Christianity, otherwise, if the facts from what I've been told, heard and seen are false, it does make me supicious of what are you real motives.

Well you caught us Corpfox, christianity is one big conspiracy. We have all been conspiring to be better people through a higher power. We have all been conspiring to love one another as we would love ourselves. We have definetly been conspiring at the pot-luck dinners over who is gonna get the last of Mrs. Maybells sweet potato pie. Guilty as charged of trying to teach my children to have manners and respect thier elders. Go ahead and lock me up because yes, I treat my marriage as a sacred thing, and love my wife. Really, nobody is perfect, nobody is sinless, nobody can live by the rules set forth by God the Father. That is why God the Father sent Jesus his Son. Jesus paid for our wretched sinful lives by living a life wholly devoted to His father and living a sinless existence. Jesus accepted what God the Father had laid out for Him and braved ahead to glorify God the Father. I thought of hopefully a good analogy for you that might help to explain things. So, here goes.
Trusting in Jesus is a lot like jumping out of a plane with a parachute on. First off you are jumping out of what is to you a safe and solid object. No reason to leave a perfectly good airplane and jump out, unless of course its on fire and about to crash..but thats not important here. Once you jump out of that airplane you have just put your trust into that parachute that it will get you to the ground safely. Before you jumped out of the plane you made sure it was all there and ready to go. As you fall you pull the cord and WHAMMO! the chute opens and you float down to safety. Now, how can you relate Jesus to a parachute. First off Jesus is your parachute for life. When you take that leap of faith out of the airplane, you have just put all your trust in the parachute. You have FAITH that the UNSEEN parachute will open when you pull the cord. However you dont actually know for sure its going to happen, you just have FAITH that it will. Once you pull the cord, the chute opens and your FAITH is confirmed by something that was UNSEEN ( the hidden parachute) and now you have visable proof that you will land safely. The hard part to wrap your head around is that you have to trust in the UNSEEN to SEE results. You have to trust that Jesus will save you, before you can SEE that he has saved you. Ever have your car breakdown and get help just in the nick of time. Ever roll your truck you were driving in LATE at night out on a secluded country back road, and just happen to have somebody pull up with in a matter of seconds later? I have. Did Jesus himself appear and help me? No. But Jesus works through people you interact with, that is why they call it a divine appointment. Because no matter what happens or how it happens, that person whoever it happens to be for whatever reason, always seems to be there just when you need them most. If some life event is not going the way you want it to go, stop and think that maybe, just maybe its happening the way it is for a reason, and what are you supposed to learn from it. There is no luck or coincidence, just divine appointments. You are posting on these boards for a reason, and we are trying to help you find that reason. If you are wanting a label to put on yourself, like so many in society want, then "sinner" is that label. It would be my label too, and everybody else on these boards. If you want a different label than that, put your trust in Jesus, and then you can change it to "redeemed sinner". :)

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)
2. Eastern Orthodox (92%)
3. Orthodox Quaker (92%)
4. Roman Catholic (92%)
5. Seventh Day Adventist (89%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (76%)
7. Orthodox Judaism (76%)
8. Islam (74%)
9. Liberal Quakers (55%)
10. Bahá'í Faith (53%)

Nice tool, DV! Kind of fun to see how much we have in agreement with other belief systems.

Back