• Mozilla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

GotGoose?

I am working with my dad on a huge makeover for THIS church site because our pastor doesn't like it that much. (IMO it's kind've clunky) I am using Macromedia Studio MX 2004 for this project. Because of the wide variety of browsers out there (I can only think of the four above), I was wondering what everyone here uses to browse the internet.

If your browser isn't in the choices, choose Other and tell me what browser and version you use.

Aggreed about using Macromedia Dreamweaver. Make use of the built in validation tools in Macromedia (On the menu bar under "File" then "Check Page"). These will help keep you code clean of non standard tags. Of course, no matter what you do, there will be one browser out there that will refuse to render a page the way you wanted.

http://www.w3c.org has several tools too that you can use to validate and cleanup your HTML and CSS files.

Also, Dreamweaver has a nice feature to optimize images using fireworks. It is under "Commands" on the menubar. Use it to shrink down the file size of any images you are going to use.

Thanks for the tips plankeye and hescominsoon. I've noticed that frames have a lot of incompatibility issues with Netscape and some with IE. After I create some basic pages and layouts, I will do it all over with templates instead. I use Fireworks for all my graphics editing. My dad is currently learning how to use coldfusion to make a dynamic website.

I would stay away from frames. It makes it harder for users to bookmark content. Instead, if you can, use server side includes or in the case of Cold Fusion the CFTEMPLATE tag to include common things like navigation and title bars.

Yea, Frames are kind of "out of fashion". That being said, my own site uses frames -
biggrin.gif
- but I have very few pages on my site so there's not a lot to bookmark, print, or get lost in.

Good luck with the site design/rebuild. There are lots of web peeps here, both amature and professional, so if you have questions feel free to ask.

Oh, and my browser of choice is Firefox, which is just Mozilla but slimmed down a little.

Some other browsers you should look into: Konqueror, a rather popular Linux OS browser (I think it's the built in browser in some distributinos of Linux), and Safari, the built in browser for Mas OS X.

Generally speaking though, if you stick to good, clean, standardized HTML code, you won't have a problem getting yer site to look good on those browsers. Even still though, I wouldn't worry too much abuot them, as they will be the minority of users. So long as your site is at least functional in those browsers (that is, nothing really important to moving around the site and getting information is broken), then you'll be ok.

Shagz, ever think about converting your site from frames to SSI? SSI is so incredibly easy, easier than frames even.

SSI = server side includes?

I used the frames less as a way to keep the nav in one file and easily edited and more as a UI (user interface) choice. I always wanted the nav to be sitting there at the bottom of the page, always accessible. I played around with designs that had everything frameless and I also played with IFRAMES and a few other dynamic solutions, but they weren't compatible with my target browsers, or if they worked, browsers didn't implement the IFRAME attributes in a consistent way, so I stuck with the frames. I also like the "widescreen effect" of the black, makes your eyes focus on the content being framed in the middle. Without those visual anchors, the whole design seemed to be too "floaty" (if that makes sense).

Back to browser discussions and Goose's site, I don't want to highjack the thread...

In Australia i don't know anyone who doesn't use IE.

we must be backwards over here, OR all you guys who use other stuff are l33t.

mind you the pole says IE, and not by just a nose. So we must be all so 1998
biggrin.gif

later

sealcomm

re: Cookie management in Firefox...really? I dunno, I never messed with the cookies much except to block 'em when they come from Ad servers. Not sure what the cookie management is like in Moz, but FF does what I need it to do in that regard. But you're right, it is dumbed down. I have to install an extension in order to get my Sidebars back.

sealcomm -

That's because IE is built into windows, so 90% of the users don't even consider getting a different browser. Why get what you already have, right? Well, now you know why the governments don't like microsoft. That's why other people have such a hard time competing, even if they do in fact have a much superior product. Because let's face it, IE is years behind any other browser when it comes to performance and functionality.

Back