What does an AGP slot look like?

Corpfox

Some people told me its a brown slot. My others computer never had a brown slot, so whatever.

My new pc does, is that an AGP slot? If so, why is it smaller than an PCI slot and can any AGP graphic card use the AGP slot? If not, what color, size does it look like?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]some people told me its a brown slot. My others computer never had a brown slot, so whatever.
Your other computher was pretty old correct? AGP is somewhat new.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My new pc does, is that an AGP slot? If so, why is it smaller than an PCI slot
Probably. When you say smaller how small do you mean? Do you mean like half size or by maybe a half inch?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and can any AGP graphic card use the AGP slot?
To my knowledge no. Certain AGP cards require a faster/newer AGP slot.

well AGP is usually the top slot and has two sections. It is normally brown (and PCI cream) but many vendors make their boards more colorful.

I just opened it up and now i cant seem to close it....

1st slot, the brown one, assuming AGP slot.
2nd - 4th slots, white ones, PCI.

Half the size than PCI, mrpopdrinker.
You mean like 4x AGP or 8x AGP? Or just ones that require such as: Pentium 4/AMD Athlon, Windows XP, 256 memory ram, 16x cd-rom.

I see 2 empty PCI slots; out of 3, 1 assuming AGP slot; empty, 1 ram slot empty; out of 2
mad.gif
, and one slot empty for hard drives and/or cd-roms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You mean like 4x AGP or 8x AGP?
Yup.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Half the size than PCI, mrpopdrinker.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well AGP is usually the top slot and has two sections.
Hmm now I am confused. If they do indeed have two parts then yea you are probably looking at the right thing. However
I have never seen a AGP slot with two parts so I dont know what to tell you.

I think the two parts mean that they are together, but divided (errr its hard to explain) not like seperated.. lol *laughs at my stupid explanation*

most Graphic cards require AGP 4x at minimum, but a lot of the mid-high ends come with 8x capability. PCI Express is coming out though, it should be pretty neat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]PCI Express is coming out though, it should be pretty neat.

Funny, I saw a pc from last week flyer at Futureshop, AMD athlon 3400+ 64 with 128 mb PCI-Express GeForce FX5200XT Video with TV out.
rock.gif

So it hasn't arrived in the U.S.A yet?

It sounds like you do have an AGP slot.  And, for the most part, practically any new card you buy will match what's on your computer.  Find out if your motherboard/computer supports 4x or 8x speed, and then buy the equivelant video card.  As far as I can think there are only two numbers you need to be concerned with, so it shouldn't by any huge deal.  Your processor speed, ram, or anything else should not effect what kind of video card you need to get - just your motherboard.

If you do happen to buy a card that's not AGP, or your slot isn't AGP compatible, then it shouldn't be any big deal and you'll know if they won't work together - they simply will not fit. If this is the case simply return the card for a different one.

Corp, if you're buying a new video card simply tell us what computer/mobo you have and we may be able to help you out on what kind of card you can get.

Available Expansion Slots:  2 PCI, 1AGP
Cache:  512 KB L2 On-Die Cache
CPU Speed:  2800+
CPU Type:  AMD Athlon XP+
Disk Drive:  3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Fax/Modem:  V. 92 56K ITU Flex Modem
Graphic Card:  Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
Hard Drive:  80GB 7200RPM
I/O Ports:  7 USB 2.0, 1 Serial
Included Software:  MS Works 7.0, Money 2004, RecordNow
Network Card:  10/100 Ethernet
Optical Drives:  48x 24x 48x CD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM
Preloaded Operating System:  Window XP Home Edition
RAM:  512MB PC2100 DDR
Sound Card:  Integrated AC'97 Sound Card
System Bus:  333MHz

I'm sure its 8x AGP, I asked them, they said 8x Open AGP slot, which I needed for a Video Card Upgrade(Within my price range).

I think, Flash recommended, ATI Radeon 9600SE or 9600XT 128 MB Video Card.

I have the ATI Radeon 9600 and it's a good card. It's not high end, but apparently it's very reliable as a lot of people like it - I've only had mine for a few months now, and only play three games using that card. Anyway, it works well with all the games I play (which may not be saying much).

Back