• Bible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bilbe & Jesus

• Bible, Pearl of Great Price, D&C, Book of Mormon

• Bible & Quran

• Bible and all those catholic books(sorry, don't know em)

• Bible, and all scripture that didn't get cannonized(gos of thom)

• only what God says audibly to me

• other

• Total voters

Master~Plan

Alrite, so I have my own thoughts, what do you guys think... Is the Bible the only divine word of God? Or, is there other words God gave to us?, or are there other books God gave to us that all fall under the category of one 'word'? If you Believe the Bible is the only word of God, please defend your claim. I finally got around to reading a book on the cannon, which spurred the question. I'm interested as to what everyone thinks.

The Old Testament (tanakh) plus the New Testment, AKA Gospel.
It was written at the end of the last book of the New Testament, "I warn everyone who hears the words of prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy,God will take away from him his share in the tree of life andin the holy city, which are described in this book." (Revelation 22:18-19)
So, anything added after Revelation is bogus.
~Miriax

I voted for only what God says to me. The word of God doctrine from what I can tell is completely blind with no basis whatsoever.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It was written at the end of the last book of the New Testament, "I warn everyone who hears the words of prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy,God will take away from him his share in the tree of life andin the holy city, which are described in this book." (Revelation 22:18-19)
So, anything added after Revelation is bogus.
Not Necessarily. The NT is a collection of writings that was canonized, it dident just exist. Therefore that only pertains to taking away from the book of Revelation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not Necessarily. The NT is a collection of writings that was canonized, it dident just exist. Therefore that only pertains to taking away from the book of Revelation.
^heh, yeah thats the kicker. This is kind of a hard area.

Isn't Jesus also the word too? so I guess defining Gods word would be key.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Master~Plan @ May 15 2004,10:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not Necessarily. The NT is a collection of writings that was canonized, it dident just exist. Therefore that only pertains to taking away from the book of Revelation.
^heh, yeah thats the kicker. This is kind of a hard area.

Isn't Jesus also the word too? so I guess defining Gods word would be key.
I think the whole Yeshua being the word thing is kind of metaphorical.

metephorical eh? I dunno. The Bible says the word was made flesh, so I guess you have to judge where to take the Bible literally or not. You could be right.
I'll define my view of the word of God:
The word is the message of how to reach salvation from God to man. Throughout time God communicated His perfect plan, and divine will at first to His chosen people, and then later to the gentiles as adopted children. God established his divine power and authority through miracles, and prophecy. The Father then sent His Son Jesus to communicate how to reach salvation, making Jesus the Word.

When I get more time I'll post what scriptures I think is God's word.

And Da Word was with Gawd, and the Word was Gawd, and then Gawd saw that it was good...
Gad, I'd love to see someone mince the passages together one day. John 1 and Genesis 1.

Hmm. You know. I love it when people bring up Revelation, because I love to look at it this way: there was no way in heaven or hell that John, Mr. I Just Got Stuck in Oil Before Being Dumped on this White Rock, was going to know that his entry would be the last one INSERTED in the Bible. How was he supposed to know that 2 Peter wouldn't come AFTER Revelation, and Revelation maybe after 1 Timothy with 2 Timothy tossed in somewhere after Jude, which may have gone right after Luke?
It was all on the editors, and if you ask me, I think the editors tossed that last little part in, to give it a sense of finality, even if finality it was not.

Or maybe the editors didn't do it, and John was saying, "Don't screw with my prophecy, or God will waste you either way you go". John was not speaking entirely of the whole Bible. If he was, and we get some 67th episode into it, we're screwed up the creek if you're an advocate of "John said don't add or take away or you'll be damned either way you go", and those like you get to be the ones in ecumenical charge.

Geez. No. The Revelation passage is strictly about Revelation. Very unique in that it's the only one like that, and that just kinda sets up the paranoid theory that says the Bible's editors did it that way, on purpose, and for good measure, tossed an Amen at the end, to give it a sense of closure. Editorial footnote, amen.

Is what I think.
The Word is God. The Word is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Son. He who denies the Son denies the Father, et cetera, et cetera, and Green Day rocks.
The Word doesn't really matter if it was scratched on stone and ol King James I decided to scratch it off onto the printing press. It just IS. And the Word of God became Jesus, something like that's just not merely a bunch of script that's our Bible, our guide, but that's what came from the Word. The Word is living, and the words we have from the Word are something that reflect that liveliness, if only so shallowly, because they're just that: printed words. What if all our Bibles got burned and all we were left with was oral tradition, like poor ol Jews from way back when?
Gad. The Word is alive, and the Word spoke, and got Its story down on paper, a crude representation of what the Word IS: alive.

a side note about that last verse in Revelations is that there are books that were written after Revelations that are included as Canon.

Date of writing was not a factor when they were ordering the writings that compose the NT, rather subject, and then author was the ordering factor.

As well, curses on those who change prophecy was a common occurence at that time. So while it would have been prefectly acceptable for the writer to stick that upon the writing, to ascribe it to the entire canonized Bible, is somewhat inane.

"Pointless".
I mean, if you're to take it that way, we took it from Greek, certainly, and English lacks words that the Greek perfeclty answers, and vice versa, so in a sense, if any of those types of words were in the last installation in the Bible, then every single one who reads from Revelation, buys a Bible, preaches from an English translation, preaches from ANY translation, is automatically damned to hell.

Which is perfectly Godly.

Take the word of God as the Bible.

There are plenty of people who love God, and may write some amazing stuff. But it hasn't been the inspired word of God to Mankind.

so the book of mormon doesn't count. books by benny hinn, or the newspaper.

sealcomm:p

Back