What mobile games are you playing?

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
I know that games-related discussion tend to revolve around PC games, but I'd guess most of us also play mobile games.

What games are you playing these days? If it's something you'd like to play with/against other CGA community members, be sure to post the relevant information (e.g. username, server, platform if not cross-platform, etc.).

I've been slowly working my way through Rayman Jungle Run, I play an occasional round of Zookeeper Battle, and I play a level of various puzzle games (Where's My Water?, Cut the Rope, Toy Story: Smash It!, etc.) when the mood strikes.

I'm trying out Wordfeud because I want to play Scrabble with some friends and I refuse to install a Zynga game on my personal phone and the official Scrabble mobile game is made by EA ('nuff said). Wordfeud is cross-platform and there's a paid version ($2.99) that doesn't have ads.

If you want to play a bit o' Wordfeud with me, add me. I'm on there as Tek7. (It's rare I can claim that name on an existing service these days.)

Candy Crush, Jelly Splash, Hill Climb and I love my fish farm 2

lol, yes, I did just get a smart phone 3 weeks ago. let the newness wear off.

Clash of Clans is actually very entertaining within the ftp realm.
Pocket Mine is a new obsession as well.
Marvel Puzzle Quest is alot of fun.

Candy Crush, Jelly Splash, Hill Climb and I love my fish farm 2

lol, yes, I did just get a smart phone 3 weeks ago. let the newness wear off.
Enjoy the games you play, play the games you enjoy!

As for me:

I quit Candy Crush Saga after level 28. (I downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about. The game is polished, but didn't really bring anything new to the match-3 genre from what I could see.)

I quit Jelly Splash after level 40.

I quit Candy Blast Mania after level 66.

I quit Jewel Mania: Halloween after level 23.

The trend is that I'll play a new-to-me free-to-play puzzle game to the exclusion of everything else (except for PC games) for a few days, then drop it once I hit that wall where it either stops being fun or the game crosses the line from mildly annoying to downright obnoxious in regards to pressing the player to spend money. (Unfortunately, that wall came very abruptly in Jelly Splash, which I enjoyed more than the other 3 games I listed.)

But enough about my gaming ADD. Welcome to mobile gaming!

Clash of Clans is actually very entertaining within the ftp realm.
Pocket Mine is a new obsession as well.
Marvel Puzzle Quest is alot of fun.
So Clash of Clans is actually fun, eh? I know it's ridiculously popular and free-to-play, which is why I haven't tried it out yet. :p But I guess if it's that popular, there's a reason...

I played Pocket Mine for about 2 minutes, but when I figured out that it isn't a proper Mr. Driller clone (like I'd been hoping for), I uninstalled it. Seems like it might be a good game, just not what I was expecting.

Marvel Puzzle Quest does look mildly interesting, but is there anything that sets it apart from the other bazillion match-3 games out there? That isn't snark; I'd be interested in trying it if it offers a fresh take on match-3.

Last edited:
So Clash of Clans is annoying at first because the timers on building are so restrictive. You have to commit to just playing in small bursts and checking back later in the day when stuff is built. Then once you get enough barracks made, you can do lots of attacking while waiting on things to complete. The combat and scouting out targets is where the main fun is at. Don't worry about sitting behind a shield for long unless you have some major project close to done. Otherwise you can easily fill up your resources storage from attacking. The pacing for geting more powerful is pretty smooth and rewarding if you keep checking in. My basic strategy is have 1 long build, 1 short build and attack constantly, making sure to pick targets that will reward more purple resource then restocking your army will cost. Then at night do the real long builds.

I will have to check Mr. Driller if it is similar. I think what might have me so glued to Pocket Mine is I have a game center friend who keeps 1upping me with depth challenges so I have to play like mad till I beat him then I can rest till he returns the favor.

While Marvel Puzzle is not that much different from a match3 and most like the Puzzle quest series in regards to skills/powers, the Marvel tie-in is well done with decent lore/banter among characters and the ability to recruit new team mates and train them via finding Comic Book Covers is cool. The over all polish on it is high and the AI challenging enough that I am still playing a few rounds each night in bed.

Last edited:
Marvel vs Capcom 2 is very well done for iOS
Temple Run 2
The Blockheads (think sidescrolling Minecraft)
Pixel Defenders
Dungeon Raid (puzzle)

Pocket Summoner is supposed to be pretty good if you like Pokemon-style battle games.

I quit Candy Crush Saga after level 28. (I downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about. The game is polished, but didn't really bring anything new to the match-3 genre from what I could see.)

Maybe I've not played that many match-3 games, but I felt the same way about Candy Crush until I got several levels in to it. I felt the special candies and the specific goals that each level requires added a lot and I didn't feel like I was mindlessly matching stuff.

I've been playing Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman lately. Got the free version, like it, and paid $.99 to unlock the full game. It's nice to pick up and play for just a few minutes, or sit and play for a while.

Some of my other favorites:

Junk Jack - fun for a tablet, phones are to small for this game
Great Little War Game - fantastic game with lots of replay-ability.
Peggle
Plague, Inc.

EDIT: Forgot Tactical Warrior. It's a nice small-scale battle game, where your fighters have unique abilities based on their class, they level up and can gain/improve abilities.

Last edited:
Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman has some entertaining combat, I need to load that back up again.
The new JunkJack 2 with multiplayer looks off the hook.

Maybe I've not played that many match-3 games, but I felt the same way about Candy Crush until I got several levels in to it. I felt the special candies and the specific goals that each level requires added a lot and I didn't feel like I was mindlessly matching stuff.
I think it has a lot to do with what game you play first.

I had played Bejeweled 3, so nothing in the first 20 or so levels of Candy Crush Saga struck me as original or inventive.

But years ago, I played Money Idol Exchanger before I played Magical Drop, so I tend to favor MIE over MD to this day. In fact, I own MIE as a PS One Import title on my PS3, but I passed on buying Magical Drop V even when it was on sale.

And even though I don't expect much in the way of innovation in match-3 games, I still ended up playing Jelly Splash (which plays more like Azkend and other "drag a line over all the same color/type pieces in a row" games), Candy Blast Mania (which is a fairly blatant Candy Crush Saga clone with a few minor variations), and Jewel Mania: Halloween (which is a blatant Bejeweled 3 clone with free-to-play mechanics).

There are some genres and subgenres of games I find myself gravitating toward time and again (Metroidvania games, for example), so even if I say a game doesn't really bring anything new to the genre, it doesn't mean I won't play it. :)

But years ago, I played Money Idol Exchanger before I played Magical Drop, so I tend to favor MIE over MD to this day. In fact, I own MIE as a PS One Import title on my PS3, but I passed on buying Magical Drop V even when it was on sale.
Speaking of Money Idol Exchanger, I recently started playing Money Witches and I like the game so much that I really, really wish it were a single-purchase game instead of free-to-play with in-app purchases.

Money Witches remains true to the spirit of Money Idol Exchanger and the results are excellent. Unfortunately, unlocking characters and abilities requires coins, which can either be earned (very, VERY slowly) or--you guessed it--purchased with real money.

MW would have been fantastic as a $0.99 or even a $1.99 or $2.99 app, but the free-to-play design keeps me from recommending it. :(

Back