Tribe of Judah Lead Recruiter
I'm getting kinda frustrated with gold and here's why:

Current money: 640g

Important purchases that I want to make:

Epic mount - 800g
Demonslayer for epic quest - 20-30g
Pots for epic quest - 20-30g
Demonslaying enchant for epic quest: ~10g
Black dragoncales for armor- 73(shoulders and legs) or 133(if I get the cheset too) @ 1-2g apiece

Auxilary purchases that I would like to make:
16 slot bags - 15-20g apiece
More bank slots

A lot of my time online lately has been spent farming gold, but it goes really slowly and is sucking the majority of the fun out of the game. Thusly in spite of any previous feelings I may have had, I'm considering buying 500g online. So what should I do? Should I keep farming or just buy it? I'm a miner / engineer, and I do most of my farming by running around searing gorge and harvesting as selling minerals.

Edit: option 2 should read: Keep farming, but use a brilliant high profit method that you'll detail below

Last edited:
Well farming for gold can take some time, I would say buy it online. I know this kid who bought gold online from gold4power.com and he got it within 30 minutes. Good website, can get 1000g for 30 bucks or lesser amount of gold for less money.

nothing wrong with buying it online. ive considered it but never did it yet. im too afriad of it being a scam. if i was 100% sure i would get what i paid for, i would buy some

what is slow?

When I get in gold making mode I can pull down 20 to 50 gold a day. THis is when I am making gold most of the time I am playing.

When I am wealth making mode about 10 with about 30 mins of work. I use the first 15 mins and the last 15 of every session to make gold doing a number of different things.

When I am in whatever mode, well, I dont make too much shiney.

So you have to choose a strategy and then do it!! The following have earned me good shiney...

1. Fishing for eels or deviate fish
2. Mining (not so great anymore), I concentrate on power leveling items like iron and copper.
3. Runecloth bags
4. Mooncloth and Felcloth
5. Running instances and DE'ing or AHing items of all levels.

I have never bought Gold online.... Just something wrong about it for me...

what got me a lot of gold was running low lv stuff and making low lv green stuff and just dis eveything and sell all the mats i sold like 100 of stange dust and got like 5-10g i think it was

Icthus said:
what is slow?

When I get in gold making mode I can pull down 20 to 50 gold a day. THis is when I am making gold most of the time I am playing.

When I am wealth making mode about 10 with about 30 mins of work. I use the first 15 mins and the last 15 of every session to make gold doing a number of different things.

When I am in whatever mode, well, I dont make too much shiney.

So you have to choose a strategy and then do it!! The following have earned me good shiney...

1. Fishing for eels or deviate fish
2. Mining (not so great anymore), I concentrate on power leveling items like iron and copper.
3. Runecloth bags
4. Mooncloth and Felcloth
5. Running instances and DE'ing or AHing items of all levels.

I have never bought Gold online.... Just something wrong about it for me...

Slow for me is making mabye 20g a day, I could probably make more, but lately I've lacked the focus to farm for long sessions, that and lost deposits have left me somewhat leery of auctioning my stuff. Speaking of which, I have a healthy stockpile of truesilver, gold and mithril which I will happily sell to any guildie for marginally less than auction prices.

I'm with you as far as buying gold, I really don't like the idea of it and if I do try to do it, it will be a hard sell to get my folks to approve it. Thusly, farming would be the preferred way.

Regarding your suggestions:

1. My fishing is pretty low, but I might be able to fish up deviates and if it can include terrozing crossroads on the side, so much the better.
2. That's what I mainly do, though farming low lvl mats might be a better solution than running around searing gorge.
3. Not an option, I've already got mining and engineering to 300, so I'm not gonna start over.
4. Farming felcloth might be an option, does it have a decent droprate?
5. Well I can't DE stuff and I'm somewhat leery of auctions as I said, though it still might be worth a try.

I'll give these a shot and see how it goes.

Idea #1:

Position one character (#1) in Stormwind at Lil Timmy's spawn point. Send #1 a few gold to start with. Log in when you're available to watch for an NPC but not focus intently on the game.

Use #1 to purchase Cat Carrier (White Kitten) from Lil Timmy as often as possible.

Position another character (#2) in Booty Bay.

Mail the Cat Carriers purchased from the #1 to #2.

Use #2 to place the Cat Carriers on neutral AHs for 20-25g each (or more).

Before Blizzard added a neutral AH to Booty Bay, I purchased and sent two White Kitten Carriers to Fjorboug, who placed them on the Gadget AH. We had to knock the price down a few times, but they eventually sold for 20g each. After the AH cut, I had 34g extra. Pretty decent profit off a 60s purchase.​

Idea #2:

Help lower-level players run through instances (e.g. Deadmines, Scarlet Monastery) known for good BoE drops at that level. Create a second character specifically for extra bank space and auctions. Send a few gold to your bank character to start with, and send green and blue items to that character to place on the AH.

You're not only helping other guild members, but you're helping build your own wealth as well.

I use a bank character to sell mats and greens, and it's made me a nice sum, without the hassle of having to travel back to IF every time I want to post an auction.​

EDIT: It also helped that I had a Redbeard Crest drop off of a random skeleton in Duskwood, and sold it for 45g on the AH (42g after AH cut).

EDIT: Whatever method you decide on, make sure you actually have fun doing it. You probably work a job in the real world, so it doesn't make sense to play WoW with the "I have to work to make money" mentality. I've made a point to enjoy my time playing (though it's not always easy) and I've refused to focus on armor, honor, or anything else that bores me. (One thing I really enjoy is exploring and acquiring new pets.) WoW is a game. When it becomes more like work than fun, then something's wrong--and you have to examine what that is, and adjust your approach accordingly.

As for buying gold, remember that gold farmers are largely responsible for destroying the virtual economies of other games (Everquest being the most obvious example). To quote Ottobah Cugoano, "If there were no buyers, there would be no sellers."

Last edited:
Kill heredin slayers in Winter spring for Eye of Shadow, farm two and sell for 500g each and you get 1k gold! Just remember that you can't have two eyes on the same too because its unique so make sure you mail the first one ot an alt. Here's me kiting a the mobs that drop it using auto shot. So should be easy if your using more skills and what not. I farmed these guys till I got enough gold to last me a long time so I wouldn't have to farm again. The drop rate takes a while so a couple days of farming will show some result. After all you're going to be waiting for your demon in WS for three hours this will give you somethign to do.

http://files.filefront.com/kitingWMV/;4908493;;/fileinfo.html

http://www.belrion.com/ is another safe gold-purchasing site.

As for farming ideas, there's the naga on the beach in Azshara. They tend to drop silver and greens quite often.

Also, depending on your server, you can have great success farming kingsblood and stranglekelp. Stranglekelp is used in a great deal of recipes, and kingsblood is always needed for the Thorium Brotherhood faction.

Last edited:
I just keep an eye on the price of different items that I know I can easily farm. For example with this patch Mooncloth jumped from about 8g to 20g, I had luckily been holding on to a ton of mooncloth as the price declined now when the patch came out I was able to sell it for up to 25g each at one point. Things like Eternal Essence, Illusion Dust, Enchanted Leather, Large Brilliant shards, lots of the stuff for the .5 quests is five times as expensive as a month ago, exploit that.

If you are an enchanter, bid on every single level 51-60 item under 2g and then disenchant them, 1 level 55 item for 2g can net you 3 Eternal essence that sell for 8g each. Even at the worst chance you only get one illusion dust and break even, at the high end, you make back five times your investment.

Keep an eye on the epics every so often someone will put one up for a portion of what it can be sold at, buy it back and put it back up. If you don't have much gold to start with, start small. Buy Blues when they are on the low end and sell them back.

Join instance groups when you have some spare time, things like SM Stratholme, each of those Righteous orbs sell for 50g and I’ve seen up to 8 drop a run. Now that these runs require five men instead of ten you are going to get more blues/shards from these runs.

There are many ways to make money, and many ways to waste it. When you are trying to make money don't shop for upgrades on the auction house unless it is an unbelievably good price.

My storage toon....which is above level 10 so I could so this...is an enchanter now...so i send all my loot I don't need from my other toons to her so she can DE and then I sell the mats. I make most of my money off eels and potions at this point though. Also a new thing I found is that a stack of Ungoro crystals sells for 2.5g...kill the tar lords for living essences (8-10g) the fire elementals for elemental fire (1.5-2g) and I pick flowers as well while I wander around Ungoro playing with horde hehe.

I will most likely try Lanki's idea as the prospect of making that much in a single drop is quite appealing, and it would be good practice for my currently rather poor kiting skills. As far as disenchanting items, I have a question: is it possible for a low lvl enchanter to de high lvl stuff? If so this could be a very good way to make money as I have a low lvl enchanter alt.

Thanks to everyone who's given ideas and keep them coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this thread useful.

michaelpi said:
isent buying it online agenst the tos for wow?
11. Ownership.

All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to World of Warcraft (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into World of Warcraft, transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of games played on World of Warcraft, and the World of Warcraft client and server software) are owned by Blizzard Entertainment or its licensors. World of Warcraft is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions, and other laws. All rights are reserved. World of Warcraft may contain certain licensed materials, and Blizzard Entertainment's licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.
Source: WORLD OF WARCRAFT(R) TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

Actually Tek, what you posted doesn't seem to say anything about the issue of buying gold. Perusing all of the doccuments I could, there is only one that would seemingly possibly be applicable, and that is this:

8. Selling of Items.

Remember, at the outset of these Terms of Use, where we discussed how you were "licensed" the right to use World of Warcraft, and that your license was "limited"? Well, here is one of the more important areas where these license limitations come into effect. Note that Blizzard Entertainment either owns, or has exclusively licensed, all of the content which appears in World of Warcraft. Therefore, no one has the right to "sell" Blizzard Entertainment's content, except Blizzard Entertainment! So Blizzard Entertainment does not recognize any property claims outside of World of Warcraft or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything related to World of Warcraft. Accordingly, you may not sell items for "real" money or exchange items outside of World of Warcraft

Now as to whether or not that wold apply to gold would depend on your definition of items. I think the intent of that is more to stop the cash sale of epic, super powerful items than gold itself, although I suppose they might be able to construe it to include RL cash for WoW cash transactions.

Regardless it hapens all of the time, and they obviously are not catching anyone.

I don't know about the sale of gold, considering the visibility of the companies that do it, it makes one wonder if blizzard even cares about the sale of gold for real cash?

Considering this is on the the front page of worldofwarcraft.com I think they do care to some extent.

World of Warcraft Accounts Closed - Ordinn on 4/12/06

In keeping with Blizzard's aggressive stance against cheating in World of Warcraft, we have since patch 1.10 banned over 5,400 accounts and suspended 10,700 more for participating in activities that violate the game's Terms of Use, including using third-party programs to farm gold and items. Such actions can severely impact the economy of a realm and the overall game enjoyment for all players.

We will continue to aggressively monitor all World of Warcraft realms in order to protect the service and its players from the harmful effects of cheating. Please note that selling World of Warcraft content, such as gold, items, and characters, can result in a permanent ban of the involved accounts from World of Warcraft.

Exo-Slayer said:
Considering this is on the the front page of worldofwarcraft.com I think they do care to some extent.

The thing is I don't know that they can really tell who has bought gold. The only thing in the realm of their game that is there to track is the e-mail receiving the gold. The transaction of cash happens outside of anything they are connected to. They can attack those who are using some sort of hack software, or who are somehow else cheating to hack their way to massive gold, but I don't see how they can with any real evidence pick out one who has bought the gold.

It also looks like they are prohibiting the selling of gold, not the buying of gold. So in any transaction you will not be the violator.

Back