Who's going to DragonCon Labor Day weekend?

MaidMirawyn

Hey everyone!

We have a small group from our Guild Wars alliance gathering at Dragon*Con in Atlanta this weekend! Anyone else going?

Fans for Christ is hosting a praise and worship service on Sunday morning. Remarkably, after more than a month's worth of dead ends, the anime track at Dragon*Con gave us one of their rooms to use for the service, and a good-sized room at that!

If you're going to be at Dragon*Con or know anyone that's going, let them know!
Sunday morning, 10 am
Courtland Room, Hyatt Regency

Either way, we'd appreciate prayers! Swordsman and lots of other members at FFC fight an uphill battle and get sent in circles every year getting permission and finding space for this! Without it, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible for many Christian attendees to get to a Sunday worship service, and it's a great outreach opportunity.

I plan on being there.
LOL I would HOPE so...since you're rooming with my husband!

Here's the members I know of:
MaidMirawyn
Dorkelf
ishylynn
one2dredd
pfcsherman
ajmucha

And that's basically in the order the decisions were made...since Paul and I bought our registrations at last year's con.

Seriously, though, all of us (here and at FFC) ask for prayer for the worship service. It's a delicate line we walk, especially since we have been allowed to use an official room this year, but not for an official event. We have been allowed facilities through the graciousness of the anime track director. Pray the service would truly be an offering unto God, and that we would represent Him well among an often-disdainful (sometimes even hostile) group.

We would also pray for a great turnout, and that nothing would go wrong with the arrangements. Before the anime track came through, an outdoor gathering in the park was our only remaining option, and weather probably won't be conducive to that! (Plus, since we got the room, the payment and application for park use weren't done!)

Ok... I went with some friends to people watch.

It was pretty interesting and it was everything I imagined it to be.

We mostly roamed around in the Marriott, we went up to the 30th floor and I got REALLY nervous, so my friends (one was Colbi who posts here) went all the way up to the 47th floor. This building's atrium is like a giant room surrounded by the rented rooms, the elevators have glass for walls and travel up a center column.

Pretty fun stuff.

THE WRATH OF CON

I mean, Khan. Sorry. (Kahn? Kan? How do you spell that? Jeez, my mediocre joke is getting lamer by the second!)

Ok... I went with some friends to people watch.

It was pretty interesting and it was everything I imagined it to be.

We mostly roamed around in the Marriott, we went up to the 30th floor and I got REALLY nervous, so my friends (one was Colbi who posts here) went all the way up to the 47th floor. This building's atrium is like a giant room surrounded by the rented rooms, the elevators have glass for walls and travel up a center column.

Pretty fun stuff.
See, if we knew, we could have met you! We were downtown ALL weekend, except for one trip to Super H Mart and Suno in Duluth!

The worship service was wonderful! We had 98 attend; we would have had 100, but someone had to man the table and one person was ill and left for home during the service.

We had a blast! Played lots of games, met lots of people. I got Margaret Weis's autograph; Sherman and Dredd got a couple. (THEY waited in long lines to get autographs sometimes...) We went to panels and met lots of new people. Oh, and saw lots of interesting, sometimes really clever, costumes. AJMucha, Ishy, and I did some costuming, but the rest wouldn't.

Sherman even scared off some panhandlers by telling them he was a corrections officer. (Which he is.)

Occasionally, we even slept.

Last edited:
I went to DragonCon on Sunday with Odale and another friend. It was a lot of fun for not actually having a ticket. Got to see a lot of great costumes.

I am hoping next year to get a hotel room and stay for the entire con. Hopefully in 2009 we will be able to meet up.

oooo you got Margaret Weis's autograph! Cool! Her and Tracey Hickman are one of my favorite authors. I've read their Dragonlance series close to 11 times and their Deathgate Cycle series close to 8 times. I know....re-reading books..but they are soooo good!

:)

Back