Why does the world need religion?

no it isnt. its a word to say when ur speechless.man didt u ever watch marry poppins??
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ Jan. 25 2004,5:30)]lol, i like big words like supacalifragalisticexpaladotous.
I dont think thats a word? Then again checking to good ol urban dictianary it technically is a word. supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
11 votes

Lets break the word up to discover the true meaning:

Super = super duper
Cali = Californian
Fragil = fragile
Istic = ballistic
expi = expidition
alid = valid
ocious = attrocious

In its simplest form supercalifragilisticexpialidocious means nothing more than A super duper califonian whos fragile, ballistic Ford Expidition is valid yet attrocious.

I understand the humour involved, but you made me think (curse you!) and here is my definition of the word.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Super = Large, Great
Cali = Hot (from Calidus the latin for a state of hotness)
Frag = Smaller shards of a larger whole (from Fragmentum the latin to break)
ilistic = To assume a state of
expialidocious = Well, this defies easy definition. To me, though, it appears to be an amalgam of three superlatives, each one magnifying the effect of the previous words.

In essence then, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius can be used to describe anything that has the propensity to suddenly and violently explode with great force, producing a high degree of fragmentation.

And I thought it was a kids song!

indeed it does sound like cs. and dead aim... i pity u...
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
. jk.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ Jan. 26 2004,6:40)]indeed it does sound like cs. and dead aim... i pity u...
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
 . jk.
Pity!? I would watch the history channel and war movies over Mary Poppins anyday! (in fact I watch those almost everyday)

i like war movies too. history channel = sleep. and its ok to watch fox n movies but i mean never as a child watching marry poppins??? what kind of psyco parents this guy have  ?? no offense

Notice this post is meant as a joke. the joke can conitinue if others keep posting about it. nothing demeaning is intented

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]history channel = sleep
Nahh, I satyed up all night saturday watching the barbarians series. Infact I have stayed up all night many times watching the history channel.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but i mean never as a child watching marry poppins??? what kind of psyco parents this guy have ?? no offense
I never watched it either.

what kind of psyco parents do u have pop drinker?? i mean every child should at 1 point or another see marry poppins. the fun loving, nanny lady who can fly with an umprella. heck those were the best special effects of that era.

Notice this post is meant as a joke. the joke can conitinue if others keep posting about it. nothing demeaning is intented

well psyco is a easyly used word. its like saying what kind of an idiot are u and the person asking u how many types of idiots are there. :p

Joke long dead Atown. I'll just pull out the .30-.30 and put this ol' worn-out joke to rest. A joke with a bum leg ain't no good on the track, and we all here know it.

"Krakow." -Spaceman Spiff (also once the capital of Poland, Calvin fans).

Anyways...how the flying FREAK did we end up on History Channel, Fox News and Mary Poppins? Although perhaps her supercalifragilisticexpeladicious terminology thingamabob may have a place in the dumpster right now, and the Academy Awards.

i dont have a happy view for the need of religion, just a necessary one. People can not be expected to make good choices on their own, or to do good things on their own. While Christ began the concept of religion as something that would teach us right from wrong, and how to treat our fellow man, that was corrupted by the church in the middle ages.

Now as we try to go back to the way things were, where we are supposed to be forgiving and caring, we as a society do not want to listen to the church's doctrine's because of their stranglehold on us for the past 1000 years.

Religion was created to tell man how to treat his fellow man (woman and man, just to be clear). It doesnt matter what religion you believe in to me, because all religions have the same basic law, treat others as you wish to be treated.

The reason that the Catholic church screwed up in the middle ages is because they started to rule by fear, rather than ruling by compassion. They would overpreach their importence as a conduit to God, and that if you did not support the church, you would burn in hell for all eternity.
That was a dark time for the Catholic religion mainly because most of it's actions were started by greed, from the Inquisition, to the paying for confession.

Think about it, the more people you scare into being christian, the more money you make every sunday.

This is why I believe that the catholic church has lost favour with God, not Catholics, but only the church as an institution. To my knowledge they have not apologised for their crimes, rather they have tried to hide them from public sight.

Guyee nice post but I do have to disagree with you on some points.

God began the concept of religion when He gave Moses the laws they were to follow. These laws were put in place to keep us from sinning, and be able to atone for the sins we had commited. Some of these laws taught that we are to treat others well, however the primary purpose was so we could be closer to the Almighty.

The way I understand it God tolerates sin like we tolerate fingernails being raked across a chalkboard. We either stop sinning or leave His presence.

After all the years that the Jews were making offerings, they seemd to maintain a sin deficit (sp), hence they were at risk of losing their chance of staying close to the Almighty.

Woot Then Jesus came, the prophesized Messiah. He made a new covenant with us, erased all our sins if we were willing to follow Him and His teachings.

My favorite part of Jesus coming, He included the gentiles. It's like God saying, "Hey you" /em points to self "Yeh you, you can come to".

Please understand that religion is not about being nice to everyone. It is about trying to be closer to God.

NOW I agree with you that some orders and churches have gotten into the habit of performing ways of penance with out meaning, just because that is the way that church has always done it. It is clearly written that we should use tradition in the place of God's will or commandments.

Isn't it a coincidence that he decided the Romans could be saved, just when all the influence was concentrated in Europe!

I mean, the cult would have had a hard time establishing itself otherwise, wouldn't it? <rolls eyes>

Hehe, actually it was prophesized that the gentiles would be welcomed to the Lord in the new covenant through the Messiah.

As for Romans being in power, I think that falls into the master plan. The Romans are responsible for alot of the development back then, they created the roads and systems that facilitated the spreading of the gospel as Jesus preached. Making it possible for everything that needed to get done was done.

I ask who is the most prominent man in history, who has had the most songs written about him, who has had the most paintings done from inspiration found in Him, who has had the most stories told about His life? Jesus. Please take into consideration how many other prominent figures that effected history and how much time they had spent accomplishing their achievements, probably a lifetime. Jesus turned religion on it's ear in just 3 years, no decades, no life time, just 3 years.

Eon I agree that some things just seem to be too convenient. Some may say that Jesus was just going with the times, but as Christians we believe it is Divine intervention.

One more question how many Christians were executed from the time of Jesus's death to when the Roman emperor became a Christian himself?

Back