Wireless connection

shamgar07

Legacy of Elijah Officer
Is anyone playing on their desktop using wireless? I am thinking of going all wireless but afraid i would lose some bandwidth and have lag problems while playing the game.

Let me know if you are using wireless and your setup and if you have any problems.

Thanks!!!

Right now using a Belkin 5E49 with an Intel WiFi 5300 in my laptop - as far from the Belkin as I can be and still be in the house - and all is fine. That has been my setup for the past two+ years.

As long as you have good range to your router, wireless will make no difference. G will give you speeds as fast as your internet provider can give you. The only difference between wired and wireless would be transferring files across your network to another PC, but for games it will function the exact same.

I would do a LOT of testing on 1 pc before going all in on wireless. It's not nearly as reliable or as fast as a wired connection. You must also be aware that most routers have all clients sharing 1 antenna feed (even when there is more than 1 external antenna on the router) so any other wireless traffic will slow down depending on other wifi usage. Compatibility issues, driver issues, all sorts of stuff can go wrong :(

If you're going to buy a wifi adapter, I'd make sure it's returnable and do a LOT of heavy testing for a week or two (depending on the return policy time frame for where you get it).

Yeah did some looking around and im going to stick with wired. I don't need to be in the middle of killing some ghosts and have a connection issue.

That is simply not true. Wireless is easily as fast as wired, there is no difference. You cant get a fast enough internet connection to max out a wireless connection. If you have multiple connections sucking up bandwidth it will affect the wired clients just the same. You can turn on QOS on our router if that is an issue. Assuming you have a decent router that's properly configured and within range, it shouldn't cause any problems

From personal experience, I have been playing competitive games on wireless for years and years and never had a connection issue that would not have affected the wired client as well.

Last edited:
I agree with ewok on this one - I've done wired and wireless and not seen any difference. My wife and I - both wireless - a long distance from the router - I'm in guild wars while she is streaming netflix - no problem on either.

+1 to wireless is fine, unless your wireless is SERIOUSLY bad.

It's about bottlenecking. If your LAN is faster than your connection to the 'net, you're fine.

Let's hear it for mixing the two also. I have 3 comps hard wired simply because I had an extra 150 feet of cat5 when I moved in and my comps at that time were not wireless capable. It was just cheaper to use what I had rather than buy new comps, or cards for them. Then the VA took the 4th hard wired connection for a medical reporting device called a Medi Buddy. Next is a wireless Roku player, and whatever devices my kids bring with them when they come to visit, at one time that was an IPad, and 2 smart phoned all at once. No hiccups, no slow downs, every thing playing nicely together. And that was with my grandson and I both gaming at the same time. So mix and match works fine too.

edit: I should explain why the smart phones where using my wireless, there is not a signal for all phone companies where I am.

Last edited:
Back