Wireless network Questions

Avesther

I am looking at revamping our network in a manufacturing shop. I want to get rid of the network cables. We are running a NT4.0 Server and Win98-2nd Ed. clients. We log onto the server via Doman registration. We have an internet connection via xDSL. The router (not NT) controls the DHCP. Clients are all running TCP\IP as default protocol and NetBEUI. There are two computers on the shop floor, with a max distance of 500 feet between them and the server plus a concrete slab floor. In the admin offices, the max computer is about 100 feet away, but three walls seperate them.

I want to know, what is the best wireless technology (B or G) and setup I should use. I'd like to see hardware lists of what you would recommend plus why you recommend that setup.

I will make the final decision, so the only person you have to convince is me. So, no flame wars between B or G or Linksys or D-Link or who ever. Just state your recommendations and no bashing of other technologies, please
smile.gif

Also, I should mention, that the shop is a welding shop and the two terminals on the floor are in steel cabinets to protect them.

I own a linksys B wireless and it works pretty well. Goes through 2-3 walls, but i think B network is shorter then G. G has more speed/penetration i believe. Linksys is by far the best Networking solution.
smile.gif
(what i think. netgear failed miserably on me once.)

I'll do some research between the B and G. My laptop connects to the Wireless B and it works fine. but then that is at an accounting office. It does go through a couple of walls really well.

What I like about Linksys is that you can specify who connects via wireless by MAC address. Is this possible through DLink as well? Any DLink wireless users out there?

First of all, G is merely an upgraded B - so go G as it's several times faster. B clients can connect to G with no problem. And Yes, D-Link has MAC address filtering. They also offer the G+ 108Mbs devices which are pretty neat, but the higher speed only works with their EQ all around. Hope that helps!

Jamon

Back