Witnessing?

rustom

Tribe of Judah Dota2 Chapter Leader
How would you go about witnessing in a way that honors Christ in games like LoL or Dota2? If it were something like an MMORPG, especially ones with parties and guilds, you could probably share the gospel on many occasions but MOBA games are usually fast pace.

A few ways that come to mind is:

• Honorable conduct - As it says in 1 Peter 2:12, we are to keep our conduct honorable at all times and making sure we are not hypocrites. How can this help in our witnessing?
  • Making friends, making time for them - Being nice and showing unconditional love in the competitive sphere can often attract friends, or at least acquaintances so we can eventually share the gospel as there are bigger impacts in relationships in contrast between complete strangers.
  • Being popular - Not in a bad way that leads to pride and all sorts of wrong things, but maybe to the extent of gaining skill and building up a reputation so that other people can look up to you. A similar situation could be players like Jeremy Lin who is a renown (I think) player in basketball and shares his faith publicly.

Still, being unsociable and socially awkward and the same time for me kind of makes me wonder what to do. So if anyone could correct me on some of my examples above or share new ways that would be great!

Last edited:
Ultimately, I would also add:
Pray - Not vocally or in text, but vocally and in spirit, pray to God. When it really comes down to it, the battle to win souls is just that -- a battle, and it is won with weapons that aren't talking, but rather prayer. I suggest:
- Pray for every player during loading screens.
- Pray for every player when you're dead.
- Bless those who curse you. In LoL, this should not be hard.

Prayer is the mightiest weapon in your arsenal. The prayer of the righteous -- which we are -- accomplishes more than we can imagine. Pray for salvation and for blessings.

Of course! I shamefully missed that out, but yes, prayer requests for all people. Thank you!

Last edited:
Praying is very important. Without the power of the Holy Spirit, we can do nothing. However, remember Jesus' prayer in Matthew 9: 37-38

Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16b) But without labourers there is much less harvest.

Don't be afraid to witness to people. Tell them about Jesus, the gift of Salvation He holds out to them and most importantly, what He's done for you. It's easy to go thru something like the Roman's Road or other witnessing guide but the most important thing you can tell someone is How YOU came to salvation and what He's done for you.

Most people will reject what you have to say (John 8:43-45). Some will argue with you about it (Matthew 7:21-23). Some will even hate you and attack you for it (John 15:18-19). But imagine the change that can happen if just one person hears what you say and God uses it to bring them to accept his free gift of Salvation (Luke 15:10)

Ultimately, I would also add:
Pray - Not vocally or in text, but vocally and in spirit, pray to God. When it really comes down to it, the battle to win souls is just that -- a battle, and it is won with weapons that aren't talking, but rather prayer. I suggest:
- Pray for every player during loading screens.
- Pray for every player when you're dead.
- Bless those who curse you. In LoL, this should not be hard.

Prayer is the mightiest weapon in your arsenal. The prayer of the righteous -- which we are -- accomplishes more than we can imagine. Pray for salvation and for blessings.

Bang on.

I had a not-so-pleasant experience PVPing in WoW and someone reminded me of the third point. Pray for those who curse and persecute you. It gave me great peace to do that and was a new way of handling myself in situations going forward. Turn the other cheek and pray for them.

Still, being unsociable and socially awkward and the same time for me kind of makes me wonder what to do.
I find great encouragement when I read about the individuals that God chose to lead His people and advance His kingdom. You mention social awkwardness in particular and it makes me think of Timothy, Paul's protege. Here's a man that was timid, young, and physically weak, but through whom God did mighty things. I read about Peter and Paul and I'm amazed that God took these two men and continued a worldwide transformation that started during the life of Christ.

So rest assured that God can use you in your weakness. In fact, the balance of Scripture suggests He's far more likely to use misfits to do great things (and sharing the Gospel message of God's offer of reconciliation to man is, without a doubt, a very great thing!) than use those who appear to have it all together. :)

Back