Working as a (christian) videogame developer...

Maac

Hello, it's my first time in this website.
I decided to join here to ask this question, because I'm really worried about it:
Is good for me to work as a videogame developer?
I believe in God, Jesus is my savior and all my life belongs to him, but... What about the other side, my desires as a human? Bible says that many of the things we do aren't bad, and God allows some kind of pleasures as always these actions doesn't lead us to sin.
I think playing videogames is not bad, it's merely for our entertainment, but in my case, it's a passion.
Bible says that the passion is a sin, because it leads to some kind of addiction, and I'm agree with that... But if i love videogames so much, and videogames themselves aren't bad, why can't I develop videogames?

Bible also says that the things you do have to be made to glorify God, therefore, you can glorify God with music, preaching the gospel, make visual arts... And technically, make videogames.
Christian bands glorify God with their music, christian artists makes comics/cartoons/movies about God, and christian writers make books about God as well...
If we assume thay they're following their passion, like C.S. Lewis did with Narnia, and at the same time they did a great job glorifying God... Can I do the same with videogames?

I want to make videogames, this is my passion, but also, I want to glorify God with it, and share his message through this medium. I want to do it because I love videogames in general and also, share God's message to all the teenagers that plays videogames. Videogame industry lacks of christian representation and most the philosophy that videogames include is nothing more than cheap nihilism or positivism, sometimes satanism or subjective morality teaches. Plus, most christian videogames lacks of quality in gameplay.

I really want to know if this is correct, because even if this life is just temporary, I want to enjoy it...
Thanks for reading. If I was wrong with something, let me know, please!

Well a few things...

1. The need for good CHRISTIAN video games (or movies, TV shows for that matter) is something I've been stressing hard for decades. It is not the form of the media, books, movies, or games, that is sinful it's the content and how you use, overuse, or even don't use it. Missions to nations are well and good but there is a large segment of the population Christians have been missing. One that is increasingly isolated by virtual space. I have seen the character of America changed by what is consumed and voted for by these people and if the Christian base in America is to endure we need an answer, an alternative, a counter to the immorality popular media spreads. These people aren't at a well that you can walk up to anymore. If we are to reach them we must go to them with Christian media that is uncompromising in both morals and quality.

2. While I find welcome agreement with much of your post you asked a Christian video games forum if video games are bad. Any dissenters here are either hypocrites or only here to argue. You may want to ask a more general Christian forum if you want a more balanced opinion.

3. There are two traps for Christian game developers you must watch out for like all Christians do. The first is going with the world. Unless you are an independent game developer I just don't know where you could work without compromising your values. It's the same problem with being an actor or lawyer in that you aren't writing the content, the world is. The second problem is forgetting that games have a purpose. Making a game that is ardently for Christ is useless if no one plays it because it's bad. Also there is a place for well made Noah's ark adventures and stories directly from the Bible but non-Christians just aren't going to play that (unless it's to mock it). There is no reason Christian video games cannot apply Christianity to fictional situations just like real life situations. Like you said C.S. Lewis did it fine. There is a whole scope of untouched worlds from realistic crime dramas to wars in space that could be made simply by asking "what would a Christian do in this situation".

A word of warning there is nothing wrong with enjoying life but pleasing God should always come before pleasing self to forget this will lead to sin. Responsibilities > games.

Finally a bit of advice quality -/= scope. You can make a quality game but don't start out trying to make the next game of the year MMORPG odyssey that will crush EA and Activation. Make realistic plans that one dude, in one lifetime (more so a few years), can do. It's still a lot of work but if you have the vision for a Christian game remember you can do all things through Christ!

A verse for you is...
The Bible 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 said:
19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Last edited:
Well a few things...

1. The need for good CHRISTIAN video games (or movies, TV shows for that matter) is something I've been stressing hard for decades. It is not the form of the media, books, movies, or games, that is sinful it's the content and how you use, overuse, or even don't use it. Missions to nations are well and good but there is a large segment of the population Christians have been missing. One that is increasingly isolated by virtual space. I have seen the character of America changed by what is consumed and voted for by these people and if the Christian base in America is to endure we need an answer, an alternative, a counter to the immorality popular media spreads. These people aren't at a well that you can walk up to anymore. If we are to reach them we must go to them with Christian media that is uncompromising in both morals and quality.

2. While I find welcome agreement with much of your post you asked a Christian video games forum if video games are bad. Any dissenters here are either hypocrites or only here to argue. You may want to ask a more general Christian forum if you want a more balanced opinion.

3. There are two traps for Christian game developers you must watch out for like all Christians do. The first is going with the world. Unless you are an independent game developer I just don't know where you could work without compromising your values. It's the same problem with being an actor or lawyer in that you aren't writing the content, the world is. The second problem is forgetting that games have a purpose. Making a game that is ardently for Christ is useless if no one plays it because it's bad. Also there is a place for well made Noah's ark adventures and stories directly from the Bible but non-Christians just aren't going to play that (unless it's to mock it). There is no reason Christian video games cannot apply Christianity to fictional situations just like real life situations. Like you said C.S. Lewis did it fine. There is a whole scope of untouched worlds from realistic crime dramas to wars in space that could be made simply by asking "what would a Christian do in this situation".

A word of warning there is nothing wrong with enjoying life but pleasing God should always come before pleasing self to forget this will lead to sin. Responsibilities > games.

Finally a bit of advice quality -/= scope. You can make a quality game but don't start out trying to make the next game of the year MMORPG odyssey that will crush EA and Activation. Make realistic plans that one dude, in one lifetime (more so a few years), can do. It's still a lot of work but if you have the vision for a Christian game remember you can do all things through Christ!

A verse for you is...

Thank you very much.
Now I have a goal in life.

God bless you!

I do not think there is such thing as a Christian company. There are Christians that start companies, run them, or sell Christian related things, but they are filled with saved and unsaved people. The vast majority of us work for some company that is essentially pagan and we have to live out our faith selling lightbulbs, fixing IT hardware, or recording audio for studios. There are times in each job where you may have to say "I can't do that" and live with the consequences. Some jobs like for modern media companies that may be more difficult than others. My Father in law has done sound mixing for the studios for a very long time, a difficult place for Christians to work, more so now then ever before. It is possible to work in difficult industries but you have to have the right order of things, if The Lord is at the top not getting the job, the bonus, the career won't rob your joy of giving glory to the Lord in what you do. Don't be the rich young ruler unwilling to give that one thing to the Lord. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Means if the Lord is your delight, He will put the right desires in your heart. I know a number of people including the CEO at the former Studio Roqovan were Christians, I know a Christian working at Riot, they do exist, they can honor the Lord first in their work, but it may be more difficult than if you were a meter reader.

Do what you enjoy. or don't do what you can't compromise to do. it is exactly the reason why i gave up on gaming industry for now. You'll have to work your way up, but in this age, that will come with a cost often. And that, I cannot do. 'Tis why I work as a delivery man. BUT, I'm not saying it's impossible to work in the gaming industry. I'm just saying it'll take a miracle of God to be in a suitable position. You can't do it on your own. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto thee."

Hello, this is my first post here. I am a solo VR developer using Unity for the past 3 years. Game development has been a career passion of mine for a long time, but only recently has the opportunity opened to begin the journey. I still work a career in another industry, but have been working to build my skills and products to a point where I can release feature apps. Being solo is hard, because you have to learn and do everything. It’s the longer road, but it does allow you to make what you want. I want to make games that inspire awe and wonder in others. When I think about looking for work at existing studios, it’s hard to find work that you can guarantee won’t require you to make or support content that is contrary (even in part) to your faith and beliefs.

it is my hope that I can create a few official release titles and build industry credibility to then establish a studio for high quality, God honoring products. Finding other game developers with a passion for Jesus and God’s kingdom is hard to do, but if it’s meant to happen you know God will make the way clear.

Hello, this is my first post here. I am a solo VR developer using Unity for the past 3 years. Game development has been a career passion of mine for a long time, but only recently has the opportunity opened to begin the journey. I still work a career in another industry, but have been working to build my skills and products to a point where I can release feature apps. Being solo is hard, because you have to learn and do everything. It’s the longer road, but it does allow you to make what you want. I want to make games that inspire awe and wonder in others. When I think about looking for work at existing studios, it’s hard to find work that you can guarantee won’t require you to make or support content that is contrary (even in part) to your faith and beliefs.

it is my hope that I can create a few official release titles and build industry credibility to then establish a studio for high quality, God honoring products. Finding other game developers with a passion for Jesus and God’s kingdom is hard to do, but if it’s meant to happen you know God will make the way clear.
Hey mattxreality, I was just praying for a little work and with you might be an answer. Of recent I've been looking to invest in a game dev for some mutual turnaround. I have to do a little wrangling, but I may have access to a humble amount of cash to put forth. Definitely not quit your job stuff, though.

The "inspire awe and wonder" and "faith and beliefs" is good stuffl! I have to say I very rarely check these forums, but I check Steam and the CGA Discord every day if you are interested in talking.

We were created to live a life filled with love, joy, and forgiveness. God put you on this Earth with a purpose, and you have to find this purpose.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with developing video games as a Christian. This is your passion and your job. When the Bible mentions that passion is a sin, I think it talks about bad habits, such as drinking heavily. If you’re passionate about creating, you should use it for something beautiful. You can spread kind messages through your work. The pastor from the pentacostal church I go to said that nowadays, there are many ways to spread the word of God. So why not do so through video games?

Back