WOW what a DAY FOR PROPHECY!

AS this was a set of questions in response to Tek's post, which he has removed, I think it is best to also remove this on as it will not make much sense. :D

Last edited:
Obama just called the death panel rumors "a lie, plain and simple."

...and said that "no federal dollars would be used to fund abortions."

...and said "reducing the waste from medicare and medicaid will fund [this healthcare plan]."

Just an update.

Last edited:
I will no longer post on political topics..I am so stunned to see that there are people who share my faith that would vote or defend an enemy of the unborn or an enemy of Israel..I am saddened, sickened and stunned. I am seriously at a loss of words. Forgive me for starting this topic..I assure you I had no idea at all what I was getting into. Many apologies

You need not apologize and I will not apologize for my stance. Jesus doesn't give political association mandates in order to be able to follow him.

I do think that it pays to keep an open mind and it is wise not to make sweeping assumptions - like all 'Christians are conservative'. Research a little bit, explore outside of what you think is normal and you will be surprised at what you find.

Please don't be scared to start more political threads... I enjoy being the only person here to stand for the liberal side!

:D

Last edited:
You need not apologize for your beliefs for I will not apologize for my beliefs. Jesus doesn't give political association mandates in order to be able to follow him.

I do think that it pays to keep an open mind and it is wise not to make sweeping assumptions - like all 'Christians are conservative'. Research a little bit, explore outside of what you think is normal and you will be surprised at what you find.

Please don't be scared to start more political threads... I enjoy being the only person here to stand for the liberal side!

:D

ha ha! I once got called a liberal on the Richard Dawkins forums (i.e. you are not alone). I suppose I am more liberal than most here, hence the reason I don't post a lot (+ as much as I try and keep up American politics is a little too foreign for my understanding: I was born into a country which already had universal health care, I have never payed for a doctor or hospital visit in my life, never waited very long to see a doctor, and frankly have never really noticed it).

I am more than happy to read posts by the many conservatives here and have my opinions challenged (and at times overturned). Indeed, choosing not to post much on such matters but rather to listen has been very useful for me (sometimes I read stuff I know I will disagree with just to test my opinions - I'm looking at you Steven Pinker). I just wish the debates here where more flame retardant, less quick for both sides to haul up the draw bridge and prepare the cannons, and more defined by trying to see other peoples points of view (or rather in the words of Derrida - realize that you can never really understand what it is like to be another person).

I will no longer post on political topics..I am so stunned to see that there are people who share my faith that would vote or defend an enemy of the unborn or an enemy of Israel..I am saddened, sickened and stunned. I am seriously at a loss of words. Forgive me for starting this topic..I assure you I had no idea at all what I was getting into. Many apologies

I don't see anybody out right defending Obama's position on abortion or Isreal, or did I miss something?

Annath is correct about what the propose legislation says - the issue for me is where it is leading. Even an innocuous provision like 'counselling' - in the hands of people who do not believe in the sanctity of human life can become the rule - as we have seen in the headlines about public health care in UK and Canada this past week.

Please clarify, specifically in regards to Canada?

I will agree that those actions done by the doctors is terrible.

Our universal healthcare does not have to mirror theirs. Germany, Great Britain and Japan all have universal healthcare (among other nations) and none of theirs are exactly alike.

Canada has a huge history of abortion loving. When the government of Alberta tried to privatize health care, they were told that they needed to make sure to fund "essential services." When asked for a list of these services, they got back "Abortion."

That being said --

I'm a political moderate. As a Canadian, it's mildly irrelevant which American president-elect I support, seeing as I can't vote. But, I also caution strongly against "issues voting," which means voting based on a few very narrow issues.

E.g. I hate abortion. I have a strong distaste for euthanasia*. If I vote only based on what a particular candidate says about abortion and euthanasia, I might get in trouble. What if a presidential candidate believes that Abortion should be outlawed, euthanasia cracked down on, and oh, also that free speech should be annulled? Many people will vote for him because they didn't see that little underlying anti-free speech thing, since it wasn't under the Right-to-life option.

Many Christians don't see the whole picture when they vote. Some do, so I'm not going to make the mistake of painting all Conservatives with the "unseeing voter" brush. My father, for example, is a staunch Conservative and trust me, he knows what he's doing.

That being said, I think this topic has been massively derailed. Wow, what a day for politics.

Having friends in the gay community... I can tell you that is the number one quote pushed on gay youth by gay community seniors :eek:

I don't see anybody out right defending Obama's position on abortion or Isreal, or did I miss something?

Obama is pro-Israel. Isn't that the standard Christian view?

That being said, I think this topic has been massively derailed.

Derailed would mean starting about talking about supposed prophesy and the state of world affairs and transitioning to Dragonball Z. I'd say that this thread has taken an interesting turn into a nice discussion, despite a few bumps and misperceptions. I'd like to see it continue or spawn new threads with more focus.

Obama is pro-Israel. Isn't that the standard Christian view?

I don't see people claiming he is anti-Isreal and defending Obama as being anti-Isreal in this thread. The claim was made that people here are supporting an enemy of Isreal and I was stating that I hadn't noticed that.

I think the standard Christian world view would be to see things through Jesus' eye's with compassion, love and understanding, not to simply follow any flock that appears to mimic something you desire. I think any friend of Isreal will support Isreals right to exist and will also be ready to rebuke that friend when they have over stepped reasonable efforts. Isreal has made some decisions that are not very smart. Isreal may be the choosen people of God but history and the bible has taught us that they are not perfect and are prone to some nasty mistakes.

I understand Isreals right to retaliate when Palestinians use grenade launchers to bomb households in Isreal. But given that Isreal is the second most powerful armed nation of the world, how much retaliation is called for? Is refusing humanitarian aid into the Gaza strip enough or too much? I don't know all the facts but on the surface, it is questionable. Granted also, I don't live in a state of constant fear of attack by suicide bombers or surface to surface missiles so I have no idea how much force is the right amount and I can't imagine anybody who doesn't live there knowing either. I can't imagine people who live through it being very unbiased either. It is one of those things, pray that God's will be done and be ready to rebuke a friend when you think they've gone to far. I don't think that makes you an enemy of Isreal.

Last edited:
I will agree that those actions done by the doctors is terrible.

Our universal healthcare does not have to mirror theirs. Germany, Great Britain and Japan all have universal healthcare (among other nations) and none of theirs are exactly alike.
Netherlands and France seem to have interesting and well oiled systems.

Germany also has Inspector Rex...largely irrelevant I suppose.

Last edited:
Back