Your Friendly Neighbourhood Student

Kaiousei

Hello everyone! My name is Dawn, I'm 24, from Halifax, NS and I appeared in the guild yesterday with my Gnome Warlock, Meida. (My main on Wyrmrest Accord is a Night Elf Priest named Meida. All of the names I wanted were taken. It might get confusing for me, lol.)

I'm here because I'm doing a little undergraduate project on Christian World of Warcraft guilds. I'm here to play with you, have a good time and learn as much as I can about the community. There may be interviews, questions and stuff like that, but you are only required to participate as much or as little as you like. With a little memo, anything can be "off the record". I'm not here to invade your privacy or slander your group, I would just like to learn what I can and show that knowledge to others.

This is a project for a class so it won't be published in any scholarly journal, simply circulated about the class and probably posted here (I warn you, there will be jargon) if you like. I want you to feel confident that you are being fairly represented. If you are concerned and will like to pull out of this research please contact me (however you like) and say so, attaching a list of your alts so I can make sure not to accidentally include you. You can remove yourself from it at ANY time. The minors in the group will not be interviewed or named in the study. I would like to use people's first names, but if you have a problem with that you can just say so, screen names or nothing are completely fine with me. Again, you can remove yourself from the study at ANY time.

My primary question for this project is to see how your faith interacts with how you play the game. Does it influence the way you relate to the in-game world? What quests you do, what characters you make? If there isn't much to see there, there is still much to discover about how you all unite in a virtual community under a shared variety of denominations. I'll really be looking at how the core of the community is formed.

If there are any concerns or questions I am absolutely willing to accomodate you. I am here to serve!

Last edited:
I personally have no issues here; I have never been one to use a virtual world to try and mask the person that I really am. I find this fairly interesting and I wish you all the best.

For your reference point --> Joe (Klassen) - toons = Jethiel (main), Shicken, Ehudd, Asantésana, Chikenmilker, Steeltoad, Facepalmed (alts)

Probably easier for each person that doesn't mind participating to tag our information in this thread so it is an assembled and concise list for Dawn.

Sadly, I'm no longer a wow subscriber. I wish I could be around for this. I think it sounds interesting. Best of luck to you, Dawn!

Thank you both very much! If you're around on the forums, Durrick, you'll probably come by most of the results, at least! I might glean some info from here, too.

And Joe, I thought it might be easier to just have people say if they DON'T want to be included since this guild is so huge. But since you're so keen I might pester you for an interview later. ;) Also, reference lists for alts is always helpful, I can't keep track of them.

Welcome to the guild, hope you enjoy your time here while you do your work :)

Soon you will discover the legend of Rhys

or "teh lequndo f ryhs!"

You are missing something :)

Rhys, although not currently a playing member of TF, was around for much of our history (3 years?) and is well-loved by many of our members.

He also can't type to saf hi slife.

Okay, he can type, and does/did a lot, but it ten des to come ot a bit garbl ed.

Some players, like Vigur, above, make a point of teasing Rhys about this at any and every point possible.

Oh, hey, I should get this thread back on topic.

I can be found in-game on Neirai, Shahmat, and Kegfullopain, as well as on a number of profession alts whose names end in -hugpower. I have a degree in English Literature and a minor in Religious Studies, and am rather interested in this subject, having written a paper or two on Religion and World of Warcraft, as well as one on The Forgiven (I'd be more than willing to send you a copy.)

I've also been with the guild five years and have been an officer for roughly four. I'd be happy to participate in interviews and to shed light on the philosophies behind our efforts, as well as our goals to change and expand those philosophies in Cataclysm. I would also like to spend some time, if that is in the scope of your research, candidly speaking about the challenges that occur when one tries to run a Christian WoW guild, and on the difficulties of merging a religious organization with an arreligious or multi-religious game.

Overall, however, I simply wish you the best with your research and hope that you enjoy your time with us. :)

I have a degree in English Literature and a minor in Religious Studies, and am rather interested in this subject, having written a paper or two on Religion and World of Warcraft, as well as one on The Forgiven (I'd be more than willing to send you a copy.)

A man of my own heart! I'm writing my honours thesis this year on religious themes in console RPG storylines. It's fantastic to be able to study something you love, and show others how valueable the medium is. And as for that paper, I would LOVE to read it and I look forward to talking to you about the guild. Thanks so much for your support!

You all certainly do have a family-like bond going on. :3

I'm Mike as the signature block says I've got 2 toons you'll find me on when I'm on. My son plays as well, but is too young to participate. I've been an officer in the guild for awhile now. I started playing and joined the guild because of my best friend from high school played and found a Christian guild that was fun to play in. (High school was a long time ago for us in case you were wondering.) Anyway, this has been a great place for us to stay connected and I've been priveledged to make many, many more friends along the way within The Forgiven. I'd be happy to participate in your study, and happy to discuss "denominational" relations if that is an area of particular interest.

I guess I should have also mentioned that if you need information from former players for some reason, I'm willing to help out.

My wife & I are both former members, and both currently enrolled in a Biblical Studies program. She's toying at the idea of coming back for Cataclysm. While I'm interested to see the changes, I probably won't play again. I love the people, but got tired of chasing the carrot, only for it to change into a pineapple. I've become far too casual of a player to have to relearn everything just because the developer needed to shake things up to keep it interesting for the hardcore raiders.

You're absolutely correct about the "family-like bond" here. Some of us have been gaming together for nearly a decade (some maybe longer - especially the 7F crew). We know a lot about each other, even if we haven't met face-to-face. I probably couldn't name all the family trees anymore, I still care about everyone, watch facebook for updates, and think about everyone here on a regular basis. I have a lot of fond memories that started with a few silly pixels.

/sappy reflection

Rhys' spelling is attrus....atrosh....atrucio... terrible. I won't lie. But I had to choose different words for a lot of my post because mine is too. Firefox just has a spell checker, so most things get caught :)

Not that I have been around much of late , but I have been a active member of the guild as well been through the fun of raid's with Rhys many times as well as Eric singing .. I some how managed to live through the experience of it all ;)

now I usually don't say allot as my day job is being help desk tech support my words are few.

I have no Religious formal certificate or schooling

other then Growing up in a Catholic background and moving into a pentecostal church.

I have relatives out in Nova Scotia , welcome to Guild .

Welcome :) I hope you get what you need for your paper and decide to stay because we;re so wonderful ;)

Haha, it's true!

Actually, Wend and Esua are my aunt and uncle, respectively, so some of the family-like atmosphere is because we're family. But many others here are not family in the heredity sense, but definitely in the camaraderie and family of Christ sense.

Thanks for your support everyone! I'll say this again and again. And if there is something guild-related that you are totally excited to talk about, I would love to hear it. We'll see if we can get it into the paper somehow.

Welcome :) I hope you get what you need for your paper and decide to stay because we;re so wonderful ;)

That's always a possibility. ;)

Back