Your User Name

TDWfan

In order to register for most things online, you have to create an user name and a password. My question is, do you like your user name? What does it mean? Do you use the same user name for everything, or do you change it up? If you do change it, what's your favorite user name?

Go!

I've posted previously on the origins of my Tek7 handle (once in 2003 and again in 2009).

I also use the handle "gummyzergling" when Tek7 is not available or when there's a requirement of 5 characters or greater (which is often). The name originated with a conversation during a friendly StarCraft match on Battle.net years ago where I commented (jokingly) that StarCraft is so popular in South Korea that they probably have StarCraft-branded fruit snacks with little gummy zerglings. The mental image made me chuckle, so I stuck with the name.

Many times in recent years, I've considered finding a 3D model of a zergling, applying a "gummy" texture to the model in a freeware modeling program like Blender, and using it as my avatar for everything from these forums to Steam to mobile games. I just never got around to it. :)

I've also considered adopting a new "secondary" handle (something completely original without any risk of trademark complications), but I go by gummyzergling on so many services and sites (including PSN, Twitch.tv, and Kongregate) that I'd hate to switch now.

Ursen is pretty standard for me, has been since before the internet was a big thing. Ursen was a primary character in a short story I wrote set in the universe of Star Trek which I wrote about 1988 while a member of the fan club, Starship Superior . Later, about 12 years ago I discovered this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Ursen. Rarely is the name taken and need a numeral after it. In a few non-game applications due to name requirements I have had to add a 1. Once I even had to add a 3. In both GW and GW2 I have used the name for a character. Someday I may even have a custom licence plate made. Please note it is spelled Ursen not Ursan.

Kahiel is a name that I have used for a long time, like Ursen it predates the internet (or my activity on it at least). Back in the late 1980s Kahiel was the name of a half-elf Ranger in AD&D. My buddy and I developed a back story for him based in my friend's AD&D fantasy world. As such Kahiel became my main character for a lot of our adventures as well as an NPC in his world showing up in other adventures.

When I started playing MMOs (ClanWars on the Mac) I naturally chose to crate Kahiel as my main. I beta tested the game and played for several years after it when live. As I started posting on the internet and on IRC I took Kahiel as my nom de plume so people would be able to connect with my character in game. As I started playing other games I would just naturally create Kahiel as my main. I've also played as Horriblus Rex on Battle Net (been a long time ago tho) and Sir Loin of Beef.

I use a variety of nicknames in gaming, but all refer to something I like that's video game related. If I'm forced to use a number in my name, I always choose 763. I'm kind of attached to the number, as it was the first auto-assigned number added to an account name that I ever received (which was a Lego account to join the Bionicle Konoka Club back in the day). I mostly use SuperSonic as a name, despite having less interest in the Sonic franchise than I used to. The name just still sounds cool and I like showing that I still have hope for the blue blur to make a comeback. More recently, I've been using the names Monado Wielder and Mechonis, both being based off Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii.

Patriot - I'm a patriot for my adopted country where my Savior is preparing a place for me.

Unfortunately, as would be expected, the tag is often already taken. In which case I tend to cycle through a variety of handles.

Durandal - Marathon still holds a very special spot in my heart as one of the first FPS games I actually played all the way through. Wolfenstein didn't hold my interest. And I truly enjoyed every interaction with the rampant AI - Durandal. This name is often taken as well.

Mercurius - My one interaction with Gundam was watching through Gundam Wing with a friend. I thought the name Mercurius was rather interesting. Associated with the term mercurial (unpredictable), I thought it would fit well with my gaming schedule. This name is often taken as well.

Iron Moniker - Rarely taken. More of a play on the term 'moniker'. I often switch out 'Iron' with something random.

CowRocket was given to me by a bud at my first ever real job, 15 years ago. He called me that because I'm fat(not that fat) and Fast. I've kept it because its rarely used.

Direpath is a handle I have used since the old days of IRC being something I was involved in. I had muddled through some less than original names, such as Facade, and began to find frustration in having to add a number or pick a different name. So I started to consider names.

The name came upon me one day as I was copying some files around in DOS and mis-typed my file path. I got the "Invalid Directory Path. I looked up and immediately saw what would be my internet handle for the next 15+ years. I have yet to run across a game or forum where I needed to pick a different name.

I tend not to use it in games as it just does not fit for what I look for in a character name.

In-game name wise I tend to float through a long list of names. Two that stick out as actually having history or reason are the following:

Ezrat Sraona - my original SWG character and first MMO toon ever. I originally shared the same name in SWTOR, but rearranged the legacy to read Sarona. I also used a variant in GW2 on my mesmer, Ezra Sarona.
Kalimura - my WoW Paladin (Horde-Doomhammer) since late TBC. I had all but left the game as I had moved, gotten married and had a kid. I got a job up north on the rigs and picked it back up to keep me out of trouble. I made my character and named it after a rearrangement of my wife's first and middle name. I had several other characters at one point with rearranged versions (Mirakula/Marakilu/Lukamira/etc).

Some of the other common ones are: Jume/Jumi, Arashe/Arashj, Akimaja, Theolin, Artec - mostly these are names that I like the sound of that I tend to be able to snag.

Last edited:
I have answered this many times over the years since I've been here, but here we go again....... An old time member of toj back in the DAoC era came up to "my main character" and started talking to me and asking me if I needed prayer. He also invited me to come along on this CGA/ToJ voyage. I wanted an original name just for the Christian guild in DAoC and went looking through books to find "two names" that seemed to fit the guild and my heart. LITSA means "Angel" and FALDA means folded wings.......since being a Christian I tend not to spread my wings too big I thought this fit along with making the guild character a friar. I tend to sign everything "Angel" so I use LITSA in many areas and rarely have I ever come across anyone else using this name.........so I usually name my main LITSA now and use a variance for any alts.

(My very first character my hubby named......Sekrissa......part of his character name and part of my real name so "we fit together" when he first started making me play these lovely games.....and here after all of these years we still tend to gravitate toward some game for a time until we move on or take a break. I still have people who call me Sekri)

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

In the early days of WoW I made my first toon, a druid, and my normal handle (Wildebeeest) was out of the question on account of Blizzard banning all names with more than two of the same letter in a row. I actually read the Blizzard naming rules when I came up with the name (no sentences, no reference to real life, etc) and so I came up with an "elfy" name -- but not too elfy -- no proper Sindarin here.

Being in "the forgiven" I chose to upend the guild name onto my character name when I signed up for CGA.

Interestingly enough, when you Google Neirai (back in 2008,) you find out that it means "brother" in the Gord language.
Who speaks Gord? I have no clue.

Also, Neirai is NEVER taken. Although I have found several druids I don't own on other WoW servers with the name. They are all lowbies, likely alts.

TDW stands for The Door Within, a really good christian fantasy book that I really like. And, as such, I am a fan of it. TDWfan.

On youtube somehow someone took that name. I think it stood for "The Dead Weather" or something. So on youtube I am MrTDWfan.

Back