Votes: 0 0.0%
  • neutral

• its ok

• greatest card game ever existed

• Total voters
Hardly evil. It's a game, but nothing more. What you make of it is what can make it evil from neutral.
Two guys play this all the time in W. Geo. I'm moving out of that class, so I could care less about what they do anymore. But they seem to have fun. It's too complex for me, and too dull. I dislike the anime, and that makes me dislike the card game.
I have a preference for Magic. I love playing Magic. That is far more fun than Ygo, I believe.
But no, not evil. Why would it be evil, per se?
Again, this could become a whole: "D&D is evil, because you make worlds and have fun while doing it" rant that so many parents and pastors took a psychotic stance on back in the day when a few suicides, unrelated save their link to an obsession with the mental pen-and-paper RPG, occurred. D&D is in and of itself not necessarily evil. What happens to the players when they get too mixed in the blur between reality and fantasy is what can shape it out to be evil.
The same for Magic, Pokemon, and Ygo.

hehehe if only my dad saw it that way. i love playin ygo and to me magic is way more complex than ygo. however there have been some issues about some of the cards like say summon skull being evil since it looks like a inside out demon. and magic has some creepy lookin cards to if i remember correctly

Both may seem harmless in themselves but they could and alot of times do lead to bigger and worse things, personally i like the art work on magic cards, but have never bought one or even ever played the game. infact the only time i would see the cards was in passing. It is just a game but you might get the idea like, what if i could summon a demon ect ( can happen from all sorts of games) and that is when you let Satan in and he has full controll over you.

Loj - I'm, like stunned and amazed.

I thought that kind of "thinking" had pretty much died out in the 1600's, actually that last bit is a lie - I think that sort of thinking OUGHT to have died out in the 1600's, but I'm still amazed to find it being exhibited by someone who plays Computer Games.

What about the dangers of the evil techno-box?

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Jan. 04 2004,11:25)]Both may seem harmless in themselves but they could and alot of times do lead to bigger and worse things, personally i like the art work on magic cards, but have never bought one or even ever played the game. infact the only time i would see the cards was in passing. It is just a game but you might get the idea like, what if i could summon a demon ect ( can happen from all sorts of games) and that is when you let Satan in and he has full controll over you.
Interesting.

See, I was taught that if Jesus was in your heart, there was no way a demon could posess you.

Yeat another difference between the Baptists and the Roman Catholics (who do actually have exorcists). ;)

OK, on the OT. Never played it, but I think it is as evil as you want it to be. I somehow think that even if demons could be summoned, it would be a lot more difficult than playing a card game...I mean, people spent their lives and a lot of money coming up with the right incantations. ;)

Just don't be a jerk about it.

maybe but i do know a kid who played with magic cards that has recenlty become a scytzo, and knows things that he should never know (about ppl and stuff) so maybe it came from an outside source.

Anybody who messes with "magick" without taking precautions is already a bit of a schitzo. There ARE things out there which aren't pleased to see us - think of it as a 5 year old entering an online chatroom. Some of the inhabitants think it's cute, some genuinely want to help and aid and there are others who prey - either for reasons of maliciousness or in order to feed some desire.

Take precautions. Be informed. Those instructions work just as well for using a sit in mower as they do for messing with Eldritch forces - but using a sit in mower isn't "Evil".

Eon

If there's something out there that wants you, for whatever sick purpose it can fashion, Eon, I'd figure that to be an evil thing.
Spirits don't like us physical things, for some reason. Angels don't mess with us save on God's commands, and they're here as messenger boys, nothing else. They're not here to fly aruond and guard you from cars or falling meteors or dust bunnies. They're here on a "mission from Ghaad" as said in Dan Aykroyd voice.
What are the Eldritch forces? I do not know the name. Also, see, I don't think humans ever USE a spirit...they use us. We can talk to them, get info from them, use them for menial tasks, but in the end, it's them pawning us around. Which is why it's not smart to mess with spirits or mediums or necromancers. They all exist, and they work, some of them, but the end result still isn't pretty.
One of these days, I would love to find some kind of division of the Church that investigates the occult, and I would love to enter into something like that. The occult fascinates me, but what tends to keep me out of trouble with it is that I know when it's insanely dangerous to be dabbling with.

Magic has insanely great art on its cards, and of course, there are summonings, magical artifacts, monsters, zombies, warriors, valkyries, ghosts, demons, golems and much more pawns of the players to use in the game. What you do, like what you do with D&D or anything else where the player enters a "kingship" state of mind is how you perceive it...game or not?

And PureFun, what the freak is "you'll surely burn" all about?

LOL PURE FUN THATS THE FUNNNYEST THING IVE READ TODAY!! ok so mostly you all are saying that as long as our/my faith in Jesus and ygo/magic dont interfer with that relationship then its an ok game?? or did i miss something.

Avatar, good luck with that Society of Saint Leopold thing you've got going on there - the problem is that I think you'll find most of the church unwilling to investigate, save in a "Recce by fire" method.

Eldritch just means that which is not of us - strange or "other".

Interestingly enough, Asatruaar and Christians butted heads recently at a US prison. There was a request for a Asatru service in the prison by some of the inmates, and a local Gothi agreed to perform a blot (you would call it a service). The prison chaplain agreed to this - but only if the blot would be held in the Prison chapel.

The Gothi countered that this was fine - provided he could prepare the place, and provided he could cover the Christian symbols that were mounted on the walls. The priest agreed.

The Gothi arrived an hour or so early and performed the strongest cleansing/dismissing he knew - then performed what was, according to accounts, and excellent blot before leaving. Apparently it shook the Chaplain so much that he rocketted around to the Chapel and (despite the fact that things had been restored to their original condition) carried out an immediate exorcism! ;)

Eon

Alas, the mask is removed...I play Yu-Gi-Oh. I am not possessed by demons. Satan doesn't communicate with me through the cards. Think less of me if you wish. I see nothing wrong with the game, I see something wrong with 1) kids who have no self-control, and 2) parents who let kids without self-control play the game. Of course, if you are a parent and you think it's bad for your child to play, I don't think any of us should argue. Playing the game may not be bad for you, but if you don't play it at all, it's certainly not harmful.

i tried to play the x-men card game when it came out a few years ago. it's just the rule set was so confusing. I could never get it right. I can program in the most arcane language in existence (Assembly, I hate doing it, but I can) yet I couldn't figure out this 'simple' card game.

Those ccg's pwn meh.

If Yu-Gi-Oh is pure evil, then Monopoly can't be to far behind. Here is a synopsis of the game that is in most people closet:

The object of the game is to bankrupt your competitors.
Your goal is to amass wordly wealth at all costs.
Negotiate win\loss agreements.
People with more power can manipulate those with less power.
When you are in trouble, go into debt.
Temptation to steal.
Covetting what your neighbours have.

And that is just based on the rules of game play, nevermind what happens during game play. Coniving thoughts to get what you want, anger when you don't. Boasting and pouting. And the list goes on. An amazing amount of biblical tennants are broken by the premise and effect of this game.

The reality of it all, is that all that you do, don't do it without tempering by the Holy Spirit. If you are lead away from a game, stay away from the game. And by the same token, do not knock those who are not lead down the same path you are.

Playing this game will not see you burning in hell. Playing the game against Gods will is certainly not spiritually healthy. Going out and trying to summon demons and monsters is certainly a path that leads away from God.

LOL tastywheat thers nothin wrong with playing yugioh at ur age. my bro is 20 and he plays all the time with me. also dont you hate seeing parents making all the trades and doing most of the strategy for their kids at minor turnys??. Peon you are right, i can also see that in a way chess is not far behind. ok now tasty what kind of deck do u use? peon what kind of deck does your and your son use?? for me i use a Fairy deck with more traps.

Not really sure what kind of deck I use...I try to make it half monsters/quarter trap/quarter magic though. I left it at school since that's the only place I play, and there's only 2 other ppl that play. I can give you a rundown sometime next week though, if you wish.

Back