Unreal Monday

Our power went out at 8pm yesterday (bad storm) and never got it back until 7 am today. So I had to miss all the fun. :(

Gametracker.com is annoyingly incorrect in tracking server stats. Even though last night it showed a list of 10 players currently on the server when I checked it then, it now shows a peak of 7 on the graph. Does anyone know if it just checks at a certain time each hour, or tries to do a average for the hour instead of showing you the peak number of simultaneous players?

Great turnout and lots of fun tonight! We had 10 players as I was leaving and I think we peaked a bit higher than that. It was good to get a freeze tag game in this time.
w00t Battle Team Arena Freeze Tag! I forgot how much fun that game mode can be.

Increasing my mouse sensitivity and having a few players closer to my skill level made last night the best Unreal Monday in a while.

EDIT: And when I say, "A few players closer to my skill level," I mean, "Players that don't pwn me as severely as our regular Unreal Monday attendees." :D

We had a great turnout last night! Mostly harmless kept pounding on me, man i'm out of practice :p. I need to hone my skills to avenge myself :D.

We had a great turnout last night! Mostly harmless kept pounding on me, man i'm out of practice :p. I need to hone my skills to avenge myself :D.

Yeah, same here. Well... not quite... I'm probably at the top of my game.

Mostly_Harmless, I'm not sure that I'm actually going to put a clock beside my screen for timing power ups. That seems like more than I could really keep track of. If I can find a convenient way to do that, maybe I'll give it a try. I don't even own a clock that shows seconds. Maybe if I get a second monitor, i can write a little 2 minute timer app that keeps repeating and display it large on the other screen :)

Yeah, same here. Well... not quite... I'm probably at the top of my game.

Mostly_Harmless, I'm not sure that I'm actually going to put a clock beside my screen for timing power ups. That seems like more than I could really keep track of. If I can find a convenient way to do that, maybe I'll give it a try. I don't even own a clock that shows seconds. Maybe if I get a second monitor, i can write a little 2 minute timer app that keeps repeating and display it large on the other screen :)

I try to keep an eye on the powerups from the countdown timer on the UT3 screen.

I played some matches tonight with Mostly_Harmless and Mustang, and tried to a do a better job of paying attention to the time. It really did help when I was able to do that successfully. But all too often an exciting fight would completely drive it out of my mind. The adrenaline (not the disgusting ut2004 kind) clouds my brain.

Shazaam , I made it tonight. had tons of fun. mostlly when it got chilly and I was waiting for someone to bring a heater. :)

I took a trip out of town this weekend and got home Monday night later than I planned. I hope to make next week's Unreal Monday. :)

GG's! Lots of fun freeze tag and dm matches.

Now I need to learn how to improve my aim for those instagib matches.

GG's! Lots of fun freeze tag and dm matches.

Now I need to learn how to improve my aim for those instagib matches.

Oh, I had a blast as well. I get so excited when it's Monday because I can't wait until it's time to play with you guys :D

When you guys left, we all stayed and played until about midnight. We tried some pretty awesome mutator combinations. We did instagib on speedfreak. That was really difficult. Then we did speedfreak on normal weapons. I have to say, I am now a huge fanatic about speedfreak on deathmatch with regular weapons. That is probablly my favorite way to play.

As for the instagib being difficult Danny. I agree. I used to play instagib hardcore on Nox's server. Most intagib servers have Zero Ping and it makes a HUGE difference. I couldn't beleive how hard it was to frag people without zero ping on. It takes a lot more skill to do.

Next Monday I hope to have an additional two friends join us on Mondays. One of my buddies is coming back from the army, and another buddy of mine is reinstalling the game to play with us.

Even with zero ping on, it is difficult for me. I just don't have that great of an aim :) I have to rely on tactics and splash damage.

ZeroPing works in a way that I don't like very much. It violates one of the main principles of UT's netcode. UT wants game critical information, such as who get's injured by what, to be validated server-side. It should never take what a client tells it as gospel truth. If you do that, it is FAR easier for cheaters. It would be very easy for me to create a client-side hack that sent a message to the server saying I killed Mostly_Harmless and the server would just believe it. The way UT3 works instead, is the client says that I fired my current weapon in a particular direction. When that message makes it to the server, it checks to see if at the time the message is received whether that fire would hit any of the players. The server then sends to everyone that the player was damaged.

Fortunately there is a nifty mod that a talented German coder named Wormbo (who also happens to be on our Jailbreak team) has created for instagib that improves the ping situation and doesn't violate the "server as authority" principle. It keeps track server-side of everyones positions for the last several seconds. When you fire, the message sent to the server includes WHEN you fired. Even if that message gets to the server a half-second later, the server checks the player location histories to see where everyone was half a second ago to determine if they were hit. http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/download3.html Look for "Unlagged Instagib".

Captain Tea, this is a server-side mutator that people wouldn't have to download. Could we always enable it? If you are playing a non-instagib gametype it has no effect. It just improves instagib games.

Sorry for the long-windedness, I just got on my anti-zeroping soap box again :)

Back