Game sales

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
If you post a great sale on a recently released or classic game, post it here. Be sure to include all relevant info (titles, prices, end date of sale, etc.).

I'm interested in a few recent and some upcoming releases, but can't choke down the $50 price tag on most new games. Since I'm unemployed, my budget for new games is effectively nil, but it would be hard to pass up a really good sale on, say, Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3.

What kind of genre specifically?
I didn't have any specific genre in mind.

The inspiration for this thread stems from two sources:
  1. My desire to play Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3
  2. My refusal to pay the full retail price for either title

EDIT: But I'm still looking for sales on other great titles in preparation for the day I will be employed once again.

Last edited:
Couldn't you play the demos?

Is your Dell Laptop still temporary out of order?

I believe if you wait close to Christmas, there is a good chance those games would have sale.

However, if Fallout 3 does go on sale, I'd buy it,
even though I have to wait 58 days till I can use my PC.

Actually, you Americans are pretty close to your Black Friday. ;)

Couldn't you play the demos?
To my knowledge, there are no demos for Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3.

Is your Dell Laptop still temporary out of order?
Nope, I've been back to gaming for about two weeks now.

I believe if you wait close to Christmas, there is a good chance those games would have sale.
True.

I'll keep an eye out for Christmas sales, but ask others to do the same and post any especially awesome sales to this thread.

To my knowledge, there are no demos for Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3.

I've noticed a growing trend for companies to NOT release demos for anything, which is lame particularly when you factor in the no return policy of most stores.

I've noticed a growing trend for companies to NOT release demos for anything, which is lame particularly when you factor in the no return policy of most stores.

I didn't notice it until I saw blogs about it.

It looks like a demo when show demo gameplays. :(

Huh, then if Starcraft 2 doesn't have a demo game, that annoys me and saddens for the people that have 2.xxGhz CPUs when its requires 2.4Ghz.

My clock speed is only 2.13 ghz.

that annoys me and saddens for the people that have 2.xxGhz CPUs when its requires 2.4Ghz.

Most of the CPU requirements are based off of the old P4 thermal heaters. Needless to say that my 2.4Ghz Phenom beats the snot out of a P4 at the same speed. Of course some games are horrible CPU hogs (ubisoft I am looking at you!) and take a monster to run at a decent frame rate.

They do this because gamers like to complain and they are extremely vocal about their dissatisfaction... Sooo... Basically - if a demo comes out, and gamers don't think it lived up to the hype - all of the bloggers and gamers will rant to their friends about how bad it is and how nobody should buy it, which leads to poor sales, all because of a *small trial* of a game which is often an early build...

A Demo costs the Developers Money, the trend in the past 6 months from major companies is to hold a Open Beta instead of a demo, saves them money and gets their product tested :)

They do this because gamers like to complain and they are extremely vocal about their dissatisfaction... Sooo... Basically - if a demo comes out, and gamers don't think it lived up to the hype - all of the bloggers and gamers will rant to their friends about how bad it is and how nobody should buy it, which leads to poor sales, all because of a *small trial* of a game which is often an early build...

The solution would be to release a demo that isn't bad, if you're going to release one. Case in point, the Force Unleashed demo, while impressive, was old and everyone had already seen it in video from trade shows and such.

Lately though, all the big ones have been just...too big for a demo.

Take Far Cry 2, the developers said "no" to the demo just because even with invisible walls in the environment, you could probably squeeze 10 hours from the demo.

It's a fantastic game btw :D

Wish I could play it on PC

Not putting out a demo loses the company money.

Well.... If you consider games that have absolutely been wretched... And had no demo... (A couple that come to my mind atm are space siege and two worlds (although admittedly I like two worlds, I'm just going by the general consensus for this game)) it would be plausible that they SAVED money by having all of the hype built up around them, and no demo to force players interested to purchase it, rather than spend all the extra resources on creating a demo and having no body like it and thus not buy the game...

Left 4 Dead should be 39.99 at Fry's and Circuit City this week.

I barely play games anymore (I still have Mass Effect unopened), but this is tempting with Thanksgiving and winter break coming up.

$29.99 CAD; Canada only.
Wow, that is a good price.

Unfortunately, I retired from MMOs after quitting World of Warcraft. The only way I'll play a MMO now is during a beta or a trial period. (Or borrowing someone's spare Guild Wars account to visit during Spirit of Elijah/Elisha special events.)

I saw this video on gamespot recently and thought it may be relevant though I have moral objections to some of their picks. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6201002/index.html?tag=topslot;thumb;2

Okami and Patapon look like Tek games but with L4D he ought to have his hands full now :p
I've played Okami for the PS2 and enjoyed it very, very much. I'm holding out for a sale on the Wii version. (A sale, yes, and regular employment so I can actually have a budget for games again.)

I think Patapon looks awesome and I'd love to play it, but can't afford to shell out $170 for another handheld. (I already own a DS Lite and a Gamboy Advance SP Retro.)

Left 4 Dead should be 39.99 at Fry's and Circuit City this week.
/me throws things at Fry's and Circuit City

I caved and pre-ordered Left 4 Dead on Steam. I guess $5 isn't that big a difference, especially since I got to play the game with several Tribe of Judah members a few minutes after launch.

I barely play games anymore (I still have Mass Effect unopened), but this is tempting with Thanksgiving and winter break coming up.
If you decide to play L4D, be sure to add me to your Steam Friends list and check out the Tribe of Judah Steam Group.

Several ToJ members have been playing L4D. It's very possible a ToJ member will volunteer for the L4D Chapter Leader position any day now; that's what it'll take to start a L4D chapter.

I'm not sure where he got it, but my brother picked up Dawn of War and the 2 expansions for $30, and assuming I'm not totally broke after I pay rent Tuesday, I will be too :D

Back