Blizz attempt to save their game...

XionTawa

I will start by saying that WAR will most likely not be a WoW killer, nor can any game kill WoW IMO, just for the fan base alone, however, games such as WAR will take many away and likely hurt WoW in a way... I have been keeping up on all the WotLK news, and it seems more than half of the expansion is them trying to be WAR... Achievements and titles, Open PvP and siege weapons, EXP for PvP, Quests that require you to PvP, and many other things... as I think this will be neat to see in WoW, I can't help but see where there got the ideas...lol...

I have been keeping up on all the WotLK news, and it seems more than half of the expansion is them trying to be WAR... Achievements and titles, Open PvP and siege weapons, EXP for PvP, Quests that require you to PvP, and many other things...
To be fair, they could as easily be mining Dark Age of Camelot--a terrific MMO that came out long before WoW--as Warhammer Online.

Blizzard did many things well in WoW, but Mythic built a better PvP system in DAoC. I won't be playing WAR as I've retired from MMO games, but I imagine they'll only be improving on the awesome RvR (realm versus realm) system that made DAoC so exciting.

EDIT: And I probably would have written that post differently if I realized it was in the WAR General forum instead of the General WoW Discussion forum.

Last edited:
I have played Daoc, WoW and have been playing the WAR beta off and on for a few weeks.

I must say that WAR resembles WoW much more than it does DAoC as far as commands, and the user interface goes (which, if you played DAoC, is not entirely a bad thing...). The commands are identical, the mini-map is almost identical, the /g, /p, /s etc are all the same. They did this to make WoW players feel... at home, so to speak.

Unlike WoW, their quests are logical (I recall Kraniac complaining several years ago about how WoW's quests made no sense, and he was correct). When you are sent out to get bat wings, for instance, you get bat wings off of every bat you kill. Why? Because all bats have wings... duh! The WoW mentality of "I hope their drop ratio is good" does not exist for these types of quests because it does not need to exist.

DAoC had revolutionary PVP for its day called RVR and WoW's PVP was clearly an after thought (the BG's did not appear until almost a year after launch). The immense imbalance of racial abilities with Alliance vs Horde could not have been a mistake. Both sets of Racial abilities are very viable in PVE, but the Horde gains much more from their racials than the Alliance does from its racials in PVP.

Blizzard should have seen that problem long before it ever had the chance to arise.

RVR on the other hand is much more in depth that regular PVP is. You can PVP all you want in WoW and the community is still the same. Unlike WoW, WAR's RVR is very important to the game. Not only do you get gear, but you get specialization points to help your character out, no matter what they are wearing. If your faction controls the capture points in an area, then your faction "controls" the zone. This simply means you get xp 10% faster than the opposing faction. If you control a keep, then you have access to buy armor there. Every bit helps, and it's more help than you got in WoW.

My feeling is that WAR will not kill WoW, but instead it will impact the population of WoW that values skill over anything else and enjoys PVP over PVE. WoW was built in such a way so that a great population of people could enjoy playing it, and lets not forget that the company behind it is fairly popular with the gaming world. These are the reasons that WAR will not "kill" WoW. Blizzard did a lot of things right with WoW, Mythic is improving upon them.

Mythic is the MMO company, and well... Blizzard is still learning.

Last edited:
If RvR is important to how the game plays, how does the game deal with faction imbalance? In WoW, faction imbalance meant longer queue times for the larger faction and usually meant a dilusion of pvp gear to that faction as it took longer to get the games in to purchase pvp gear. When battlegroups game out, the faction imbalances were smoothed out to a degree and both factions experience similar queue times. It sounds like the opposite is the case where a faction imbalance in WAR means the faction continues to grow stronger making it harder to beat.

Yeah Plankeye nailed it. Faction imbalance is of utmost importance to War's success. I see it has one of the major points of success/fail. Luckily I have seen multiple interviews with developers who also believe this. They have listed many things they have in mind to deal with faction imbalance as well as referring to many others that they can resort to. They have asked us to trust them that they are spending much resources to deal with it.

Now we will wait and see if that comes true.

I can proudly say SOE has never gotten one of my hard earned dimes.

Plankeye the balance thing is the thing...

At this time they are keeping the game balanced by only allowing x number of any faction in the game. So you go to log on and if there are like 1000 Destro on the server and 800 Order you cannot create an account for destro on that server.

They have already introduced population balance methods to servers as well, IE- order gets a 15% bonus to XP because they are under populated.

I do believe WAR will not be as popular a game as WoW. However, I am confident I will enjoy WAR far more than I did WoW. I can say my first few months in Beta have been so much fun already. I can hardly wait for the game to release.

The number of old and new friends who are geeked, passionate and quality players that I have seen in Beta and Open Beta gives me great confidence in what the future holds for Redeemed WAR.

At this time they are keeping the game balanced by only allowing x number of any faction in the game. So you go to log on and if there are like 1000 Destro on the server and 800 Order you cannot create an account for destro on that server.

They have already introduced population balance methods to servers as well, IE- order gets a 15% bonus to XP because they are under populated.

Slight correction - I believe that you will be able to create characters on an overpopulated server, you will just have to wait in a queue line before you can log in to that server.

The number of old and new friends who are geeked...

Are you calling me names, now?

Mythic did not exist when Richard Garrott and his team created Ultima Online.

No offense to mythic, but by their own admission Dark Age of Camelot was their first game.

Xiontawa said:
Mythic actually created the first MMORPG, well had a hand in it anyways...

uh...not really. The first MMO was actually Meridian 59 created by Archetype Studios, published by 3DO Company, which released late in 1995.

You're close though. Mythic's predecessor (AUSI) did have an online RPG system beginning in 1984, but it wasn't MMO. Mythic wasn't even actually formed until 1995 - first known as Interworld Productions. The name change to Mythic occurred in 1997

Richard Garriot (Lord British", Origin Systems) actually was the biggest hand in crafting the theory of MMOs. What part he actually played in creating them? Hard to say for sure, but Ultima Online was the first MMORPG to go over 100,000 subscribers.

Icthus said:
Mythic did not exist when Richard Garrott and his team created Ultima Online.
bzzzzt! wrong answer. Ultima Online was released to the public on September 25, 1997.

Last edited:
You are correct. While Lord British is credited with a lot of the footwork...

The term MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima Online, the game credited with popularizing the genre in 1997.[1][2]

Term was coined by Garriott. UO Popularized the genre... nothing about being the first there. In fact, later in the same article:

When NSFNET restrictions were lifted in 1995, the Internet was opened up to developers, which allowed for the first really "massive" titles. The first success after this point was Meridian 59, which also featured first-person 3D graphics,[13] although The Realm Online appeared nearly simultaneously and may be credited with bringing the genre to a wider player-base.[12] Ultima Online, released in 1997, may be credited with first popularizing the genre,[12] though Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds was primarily responsible for mainstream attention throughout Asia which was released in 1996, about a year earlier than Ultima Online. It was EverQuest that brought MMORPGs to the mainstream in the West.[12]

I read the same article before I posted. hehe.

Last edited:
Back