Blizz attempt to save their game...

Wikipedia is extremely accurate, probably as much so as any source. For all things technical and geeky, it is amazingly accurate. There is a simple known fact that any geek cannot stand being in the presence of incorrect data and will immediately fix it when Wikipedia reports a change.

The only place Wiki was being hijacked on a regular basis was in regards to political figures. It turns out that Whitehouse staffers were making up non stop false articles about their opponents. It is now policy that all IPs based in Washington DC are banned from Wiki. So if you are a Wiki editor and you travel to DC be aware you cannot post or make a change from there.

In my own defense, I regularly use Wikipedia, particularly in regards to technical matters. I am aware, though, that in other issues, its takes certainly can be slanted in the direction of whoever is contributing.

Last edited:
Yeh, I know it's not 100% accurate, but when you view 3 or 4 pages that span the same basic idea and they all say the same thing, it's likely that one of three things is possible:

1) the information is correct
2) someone is maliciously posting bad data
3) the cited references have bad data

Most often, I think that 1 & 3 are the most likely scenarios (i understand stuff like politics or anything involving the government is gonna be slanted, screwed up, and tampered beyond belief.)

So on topics like MMO development, I'd say that Wiki is a credible source. If you don't believe them, then it wouldn't do any good to go to mythicentertainment.com and look at their "about us" page - since that's where wiki's info came from.

I used to edit Wikipedia, mostly on gaming articles. But when it came to something political, it was ALWAYS liberal base. And the admins would back up the people that pretty much said "Yeah, I changed it so it's not balanced. So?". Bleh. I use Google now.

Anyways, I don't think they have to "save" their game, but they don't won't to lose a lot of players that completed the game, so to speak. You can only Raid and do the (from what I've read) unbalanced PvP for so long. WoW's been out for what... 4, 5 years? I would get bored too. :p Will WAR "dethrone" WoW? Heck no. Will it bring some fresh passion to a stale genre? To me, yes.

MY wow account... is cancelled... my roomates wow account.. cancelled..

I have played since beta..sooo.. 5 years for me.. 4 for him...

WoW is dead, and with the xpack... it will be fun till you do all that and then what.... wow will die...

i hope...

people play WoW becuase there are not other GOOD mmo's out there... here comes War, and there goes 1/3 of wow's population! good for all those wow players on crowded servers :D

Yeh, I know it's not 100% accurate, but when you view 3 or 4 pages that span the same basic idea and they all say the same thing, it's likely that one of three things is possible:

1) the information is correct
2) someone is maliciously posting bad data
3) the cited references have bad data

Most often, I think that 1 & 3 are the most likely scenarios (i understand stuff like politics or anything involving the government is gonna be slanted, screwed up, and tampered beyond belief.)

So on topics like MMO development, I'd say that Wiki is a credible source. If you don't believe them, then it wouldn't do any good to go to mythicentertainment.com and look at their "about us" page - since that's where wiki's info came from.

Wow, this thread had taken on a very rare form of spam hijack wherein the seriousness and/or academic intensity of a thread has increased with the spam hijack rather than decreased. I wonder if wikipedia has an article about that.

people play WoW becuase there are not other GOOD mmo's out there

Wow, couldn't have been said better, IMO anyways...however, I would say there are no good other Next Gen MMO's out there...because I will still say AC beats all still...

EQ was simply the most popular till WoW

I disagree with this, EQ was barely (or from what I saw, and I have been watching the MMO scene for 9 years) a whisper on the wind back in 2004, let alone 2003... I stopped hearing about all the EQ hype after the release of FFXI in Nov 2002, even though FFXI didn't take that many people, but at that time there were a lot of other games that took away from it like SWG... But, to a point, EQ was kinda the last "big thing" before the WoW hype, but there was at leas 2 years of dead MMO time...

people play WoW becuase there are not other GOOD mmo's out there... here comes War, and there goes 1/3 of wow's population! good for all those wow players on crowded servers :D

Hard to say that for sure, BluBarry. WAR looks enticing, but after playing a few hours in the open beta, it looks like they'll be plagued by some of the same problems that Blizz had at the launch of WoW. It appears that the game isn't quite ready. The graphics are glitchy, pretty bad lag at times, quest mobs don't always react appropriately, messed up party invites (pretty interesting when I tried to invite my wife - with her targetted - and somehow managed to invite a player in a different zone to my party.)

While it's obvious that they've worked hard and have a decent product, I don't see that it'll take that many people away from WoW, LoTRo, or AoC.

The biggest thing going for it is the RvR system. It's pretty neat how they "close" the bands of players - capping which tier you can get in to, raising the lower players up (in stats, average dps, etc, but not giving them the skills) so you're only fighting in a 3-level band instead of 10 or 11. That sort of thing has always been my biggest complaint about WoW - when you hit 60, you're useless in the BG for about 5 levels, and every jerk in the group lets you know. There is no twinking (yay!), you're automatically in the party.

I guess a second neat system I hadn't seen before is the Public Quest area. that's pretty cool how they set it up so that the more times you attempt it, the better your score is...so you can't go 15 times and lose the /roll by bad luck alone (if you suck, the bonus doesn't really help. hehe)

FYI the above mentioned bugs did not happen until the latest patch.

If they were to roll it back they would disappear.

On the WoW note, WAR will not kill WoW. War is a completely different game mechanically and strategically.

You know what starts tomorrow? The War Head Start. Do you know what blizzard released tonight? The Wow 3.0 patch on the PTR. Coincidence? You decide.

Back