Can Christians Curse?

Please do not type the profanity in here. We all know what the words are and for those who don't know, they do not need to find out here.

Thanks
Gen

Dark Virtue said:
It's a bit difficult to think of something pithy to say when you've just crushed your thumb with a hammer. :)

My grandmother does it all the time. When she cooks and something happens, she doesn't scream profanity, she says something weird like "jiminy christmas" or something...;)

(of course, this argument I present to you could easily be denied as a logical one, for that is the same grandma that talks to herself, answers herself, and talks to inanimate objects ;) )

This thread saddens me. To see people who profess Christianity defend worldly behaviors. Christ called us to live in the world but not be a part of the world. You can talk all you like about gray areas and different meanings for different people, but where I come from we call a 'skunk' a 'skunk'.

Sometimes Christians cuss, that is a fact. The question is...should they?

Let's stop dodging around the issue and trying to define whether a word is a cuss word or not. Let's ask ourselves, would Christ use a four letter word if he smashed his thumb or stubbed his toe? I can answer with a pretty strong NO to that question.

If the answer is no for Christ, shouldn't it be no for us to?

Didasko said:
This thread saddens me. To see people who profess Christianity defend worldly behaviors. Christ called us to live in the world but not be a part of the world. You can talk all you like about gray areas and different meanings for different people, but where I come from we call a 'skunk' a 'skunk'.

Sometimes Christians cuss, that is a fact. The question is...should they?

Let's stop dodging around the issue and trying to define whether a word is a cuss word or not. Let's ask ourselves, would Christ use a four letter word if he smashed his thumb or stubbed his toe? I can answer with a pretty strong NO to that question.

If the answer is no for Christ, shouldn't it be no for us to?

Jesus was a carpenter, and yet somehow I doubt that his hammer was straight and true to the nail on this thumb. None-the-less, good point. The age old question comes to mind WWJD or Say for that matter.

He certainly didn't say "Peter, you bleepen bleepen nub, why do you bleepen doubt, bleepen nub." when Peter started sinking in the water. As a matter of fact, he dind't even call Peter a fool.

I can say that the last time I "cursed" was about 5 years ago. I was moving a washing machine and dropped it onto my toe. I screamed out in pain, "JESUS CHRIST!!!" Then, about two seconds later, realizing what I had done, and with the offending washing machine safely off my throbbing digit, followed up with "IS GOOD!!!"

Let's face it, when you squeeze a lemon, you get lemon juice. When we are squeezed (whether by large appliances or just general stress), what is in us comes out. Should we do it? Certainly not! But are we human, and therefore susceptible to the occasional outburst? Sure! Does that excuse it? No way! But am I forgiven? The answer is unabashedly, resoundingly YES!

Dark Virtue said:
I thought Jesus was perfect :)

I'm glad you agree with me on the perfection of Jesus. :D Its a step in the right direction, next its accepting him as your Lord and saviour.

Gods_Peon said:
I'm glad you agree with me on the perfection of Jesus. :D Its a step in the right direction, next its accepting him as your Lord and saviour.

Thanks for once again avoiding the question.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Didasko said:
He is. That doesn't mean that nothing bad ever happened to Him. He lived in an imperfect world.

True, but you are missing the point.

He would have full control over the hammer, right?

Dark Virtue said:

He could have used a legion of angels to rescue him from the cross, but he didn't. He could have made the hammer not bash his finger sometimes, but he didn't.

ChickenSoup said:
He could have used a legion of angels to rescue him from the cross, but he didn't. He could have made the hammer not bash his finger sometimes, but he didn't.

Aren't you jumping to the smallest of conclusions?

How do you KNOW he ever hit his thumb with a hammer?

Where did Christ's perfection begin and end?

Dark Virtue said:

Actually DV you missed the point in your attempt to draw this thread off topic:)

I just threw the hammer and stubbed toe thing out there as an example of Jesus not cussing. OK let's change it to...if an apple fell on his head while he was walking under a tree...or a bee stung him while he was eating lunch near some flowers...

Jesus would not cuss in those situations either.

Didasko said:
Actually DV you missed the point in your attempt to draw this thread off topic:)

I just threw the hammer and stubbed toe thing out there as an example of Jesus not cussing. OK let's change it to...if an apple fell on his head while he was walking under a tree...or a bee stung him while he was eating lunch near some flowers...

Jesus would not cuss in those situations either.

You're right, let's bring this back on track.

You, once again, have crafted an analogy but haven't backed up why.

WHY would he not have cursed? Since you know what he would do, please enlighten us as to what he would have done/said.

I ask because I have been keeping Mark 15:34 in mind, which shows that he portrayed a very human trait: doubt. Not very perfect if you ask me. Which is also why I asked CS to define his perfection, which he has avoided.

Gods_Peon said:
Thanks once again for misquoting me. :eek:

Let's go back and look at your post then:

Jesus was a carpenter, and yet somehow I doubt that his hammer was straight and true to the nail on this thumb. None-the-less, good point. The age old question comes to mind WWJD or Say for that matter.

He certainly didn't say "Peter, you bleepen bleepen nub, why do you bleepen doubt, bleepen nub." when Peter started sinking in the water. As a matter of fact, he dind't even call Peter a fool.

Your two situations are VERY different. One is an accident, the other is when he is fully in control. The hammer incident could have occured when he was alone, the other was when he was in front of his disciples.

You can't compare the two.

Dark Virtue said:
I ask because I have been keeping Mark 15:34 in mind, which shows that he portrayed a very human trait: doubt. Not very perfect if you ask me. Which is also why I asked CS to define his perfection, which he has avoided.

He cried out, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" -- which means: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34).

Some have puzzled over Jesus' seeming doubt. Was He really afraid? Had His Father truly deserted Him during the hour of His greatest need?

Jesus was quoting the first portion of Psalm 22:1, which was the prophecy of the Messiah's suffering and exaltation.

We forget that Jesus was fully God and fully man. He was subject to all the feelings of mind and body that you and I feel. He spoke those words after three hours of darkness had covered the land. He hung on that cross alone and He took our place feeling the pain and anguish that sin causes.

In that darkness and pain, bearing the burden of our sins, He fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:4-6).

What I see is God's perfect provision. The Lamb of God sent to take away the sin of the world.

Jehovah Jireh!

Last edited:
Back