Christian Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Virtue

I posted this a while back and no one took up my challenge, so I thought I'd try again.

There are many Christians that believe certain denominations aren't "true" Christians and shouldn't even be considered Christian at all, such as Mormons.

So here is the largest list I could find. I would appreciate it if someone could break this list down and separate the "true" Christians from the "false" Christians.

Thanks!

* African Methodist Episcopal
* African Methodist Episcopal Zion
* African Orthodox Church
* American Baptist Churches USA
* Amish
* Anabaptist
* Anglican Catholic Church
* Antiochian Orthodox
* Armenian Evangelical Church
* Armenian Orthodox
* Assemblies of God
* Associated Gospel Churches of Canada
* Association of Vineyard Churches
* Baptist
* Baptist Bible Fellowship
* Branch Davidian
* Brethren in Christ
* Bruderhof Communities
* Byzantine Catholic Church
* Calvary Chapel
* Calvinist
* Catholic
* Cell Church
* Celtic Orthodox
* Charismatic Episcopal Church
* Children of God (COG)
* Christadelphian
* Christian and Missionary Alliance
* Christian Churches of God
* Christian Identity
* Christian Reformed Church
* Christian Science
* Church of God (Anderson)
* Church of God (Cleveland)
* Church of God (Seventh Day)
* Church of God in Christ
* Church of God of Prophecy
* Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
* Church of Scotland
* Church of South India
* Church of the Brethren
* Church of the Lutheran Brethren of America
* Church of the Nazarene
* Church of the New Jerusalem
* Church of the United Brethren in Christ
* Church Universal and Triumphant
* Churches of Christ
* Churches of God General Conference
* Congregational Christian Churches
* Coptic Orthodox
* Cumberland Presbyterian Church
* Disciples of Christ
* Episcopal
* Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
* Evangelical Congregational Church
* Evangelical Covenant Church
* Evangelical Formosan Church
* Evangelical Free Church
* Evangelical Lutheran Church
* Evangelical Methodist Church
* Evangelical Presbyterian
* Fellowship of Christian Assemblies
* Fellowship of Grace Brethren
* Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches
* Free Church of Scotland
* Free Methodist
* Free Presbyterian
* Free Will Baptist
* Gnostic
* Great Commission Association of Churches
* Greek Orthodox
* Hutterian Brethren
* Independent Fundamental Churches of America
* Indian Orthodox
* International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
* International Churches of Christ
* Jehovah's Witnesses
* Living Church of God
* Local Church
* Lutheran
* Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
* Mar Thoma Syrian Church
* Mennonite
* Messianic Judaism
* Methodist
* Moravian Church
* Nation of Yahweh
* New Frontiers International
* Old Catholic Church
* Orthodox
* Orthodox Church in America
* Orthodox Presbyterian
* Pentecostal
* Plymouth Brethren
* Presbyterian
* Presbyterian Church (USA)
* Presbyterian Church in America
* Primitive Baptist
* Protestant Reformed Church
* Reformed
* Reformed Baptist
* Reformed Church in America
* Reformed Church in the United States
* Reformed Churches of Australia
* Reformed Episcopal
* Reformed Presbyterian Church
* Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
* Revival Centres International
* Romanian Orthodox
* Rosicrucian
* Russian Orthodox
* Serbian Orthodox
* Seventh Day Baptist
* Seventh-Day Adventist
* Shaker
* Society of Friends
* Southern Baptist Convention
* Spiritist
* Syrian Orthodox
* True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days
* Two-by-Twos
* Unification Church
* Unitarian-Universalism
* United Church of Canada
* United Church of Christ
* United Church of God
* United Free Church of Scotland
* United Methodist Church
* United Reformed Church
* Uniting Church in Australia
* Unity Church
* Unity Fellowship Church
* Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
* Virtual Churches
* Waldensian Church
* Way International, The
* Web Directories
* Wesleyan
* Wesleyan Methodist
* Worldwide Church of God

reluctantly approved :)

Do you want us to sticky this thread so that we can research through all of the denominations listed or should we divide the list?

Gen

Before I even consider attempting your challenge, DV. I first need to affirm that it is in my authority to write or erase names from the Book of Life. I'll need some time to do this, but if I can affirm this, then I will be able to take up your challenge with peace of mind.

This is a topic I very much want to discuss, but under a different light. I am very much confused and even annoyed at all the divisions throughout Christian history. As I see it, it seems to contradict what the early church and Christ's life was about, like we keep missing the point or emphasizing the wrong points. Which in honesty doesn't actually surprise me after reading through the Old Testament, but I still want to somewhat understand, why the divisions? Perhaps even come to an understanding that I can live with.

I don't want to steal your thread, so if you intend on sticking to your challenge, I will say no more. But if your willing I would like perhaps to change the topic to something along the lines of: Why are there so many different demoninations and why don't they see eye to eye and in some cases, feud and argue which each other? What are the reasons for the divisions amongst the church? Or something similar to that train of thought

I would love to discuss this topic in this type of light instead, but only if your willing. Otherwise I will continue researching the limitations of my authority.

Trick question.

It really isn't about what building you spend your Sundays in, it's about the contents of your heart. Therefore the only one who can tell who the "real Christians" are Christ and to a slightly lesser extent, the individuals themselves.

Beyond that, per the good book, we will know them by their fruits... not the building-affiliation.

As for the ones who are most often correct ... that's one I haven't found an answer for yet. Churches are not so much about their location as their members. As all members are human, and therefore inherently flawed, they'll all have something to gripe about.

Having a group of beleivers around you is more for accoutablity, I think. To keep you focused on the word, and hold each other to a standard of perfection. It's not always successfull, but it's not a complete loss. Except for, as you said, certain exceptions. Who are just nutty.

I don't have any problems discussing those topics, but please, not in this thread. I have asked this question, many, many times only to face diversionary tactics. Please start another thread and we can deal with it there. I'd like this thread to stay on the straight and narrow.

Thanks!

Well, I can eliminate a few of those pretty easily.

Gnosticism denies the deity of Christ so they have to go.

Universalist Unitarianism I wouldn't even really call a Christian denomination since their central tenet is just "anything you want to believe is true."

Jehovah's Witnesses are kind of borderline. I'd take them out based on the beliefs of a declared Jehovah's Witness that I know, but until I research them I couldn't give a concrete reason.

Seventh-Day Adventists are pretty strange any way you slice it, and I believe they also deny fundamental Christian doctrine like Gnosticism does.

The Way International denies the deity of Christ. They even put out a publication titled "Jesus Christ is not God" so that pretty much clearcuts that issue.

You know, www.watchman.org is a pretty good resource for things like this.

Berean Todd said:
It's on there, the Anglican church.

I see the Anglican Catholic church. But not the Anglican church. Neither do I see the CofE that most people who don't really believe in God but don't want to cause a fuss put down on censuses. ;)

DV, I think I'll use my time for better things, I'll just post on this topic once or twice:

It matters what they believe in their heart, not what label that is slapped upon their noses.

It's as simple as any denomination (believer is more accurate) who denies Jesus' teachings are not Christians. We've had this discussion many times before, DV.

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showpost.php?p=116963&postcount=20

"Let's remember that being a Christian is not tied to a certain denomination. It means being a member of the body of Christ which is accomplished by faith and trust in Jesus alone for the forgiveness of your sins.

The issue is and always will be whether one openly denies the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. So to answer the question originally posted, I think there are some Catholics that are genuinely saved, just as there are some that are not. However, this holds true accross each and every denomination."

I very much agree with you Watcher, however, and unfortunately, it seems your opinion is in the minority. I daresay the majority of Christians do not share your outlook. I don't think the majority of Chritsians ON THIS BOARD agree with you, not by looking at the history of posts here.

Dark Virtue said:
I very much agree with you Watcher, however, and unfortunately, it seems your opinion is in the minority. I daresay the majority of Christians do not share your outlook. I don't think the majority of Chritsians ON THIS BOARD agree with you, not by looking at the history of posts here.

Just keep setting up those strawmen and knocking them down, DV.

I share the opinion of almost every Christian who has posted in this topic that I'm not God, and therefore I can't make that decision.

A better question would be: Here's a list of Christian denominations. Which of these have doctrines that you believe contradict's Christ's message and the message of the Bible as a whole, and why? If you want to talk about doctrines and facts, we can talk about that. If you want to talk about a hypothetical person's salvation, you're asking us to be God, which to my knowledge no one has yet claimed here.

There's no strawman argument here at all.

If you'd like to rephrase the question to clarify, please do. I look forward to your answer.

The strawman I was referring to was your statement that the majority of Christians believe that all members of certain denominations are going to miss the boat to Heaven, so to speak. I believe that once you get down to it, they'll admit that not all members of these denominations have missed the message. However, I will take up your challenge, albeit one at a time. Keep in mind, I'm not judging the people themselves, just the doctrines.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I'll start with the Mormons. Specific LDS doctrines that I have problems with:

1. The idea that God is not eternal; that one can become a god through righteous living, as esposed by Brigham Young and other Mormon prophets. Christianity teaches that there is one eternal God, and he isn't you or me. Incidentally, Mormon documents state in MANY places that there is one and only one God. Some examples include the last sentence of the Testimony of Three Witnesses, the book of Alma chapter 11 (twice), and the book of Mosiah chapter 15.

2. That the Book of Mormon holds authority over the Bible. Since the Bible cannot be used to prove it's own veracity, it's simply my word against theirs for this one, but there are several doctrines within the Book of Mormon that contradict the Bible, which most Christians recognize as the ultimate source of authority.

3. That God is not omniscient. According to Mormon authority William Woodruff, "God Himself is increasing and progressing in knowledge, power, and dominion and will do so worlds without end." (Journal of Discourses, by Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, His Two Counsellors, the Twelve Apostles, and Others) The Bible teaches that we serve an omnipotent and omniscient God who's power reaches out infinitely.

4. That there is more than one God. Brigham Young: "How many Gods there are, I do not know. But there never was a time when there were not Gods." (Journal of Discourses, by Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, His Two Counsellors, the Twelve Apostles, and Others) The Bible teaches that there is only one God.

5. That the fall of man opened the way to eternal life. "They have been long taught that Adam and Eve were great transgressors...We, the children of Adam....should rejoice with them, that through their fall and the atonement of Jesus Christ, the way of eternal life has been opened up to us" (Articles of Faith). The Bible teaches us that the fall of man brought death into the world, and that Adam and Eve had eternal life with God before the fall.

I could go on, but I'm out of time for now.

There's no need to go indepth.

Just cut and paste the list and mark those you feel contradict Christ/God/Bible.

Please don't throw me under the bus either.

You said that I stated, "the majority of Christians believe that all members of certain denominations are going to miss the boat to Heaven, so to speak." Then you go on to defend my statement saying, " I believe that once you get down to it, they'll admit that not all members of these denominations have missed the message."

So let's clarify, you agree with me that many Christians, if not the majority, DO state that many denominations with "miss the boat". HOWEVER, under greater scrutiny they actually believe that not all members of these denominations will actually "miss the boat". The problem is that many Christians, if not the majority of them, will not admit to the second part only throwing out the cursory, damning first part.

Agreed?

Watcher said:
It's as simple as any denomination (believer is more accurate) who denies Jesus' teachings are not Christians. We've had this discussion many times before, DV.

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showpost.php?p=116963&postcount=20

"Let's remember that being a Christian is not tied to a certain denomination. It means being a member of the body of Christ which is accomplished by faith and trust in Jesus alone for the forgiveness of your sins.

The issue is and always will be whether one openly denies the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. So to answer the question originally posted, I think there are some Catholics that are genuinely saved, just as there are some that are not. However, this holds true accross each and every denomination."

Watcher has put my thoughts and feelings into words. Something I just couldn't seem to do at the time. I agree fully with Watcher.

I feel this has to be taken down to an individual level. You know as well as I do that generalizations rule out the exceptions. I cannot say, "All the people under this denominational title are not Christians." Nor can I say, "All the people under this denominational title are Christians." All I can do to find out whether they are believers or not, is to ask them. If they say Yes, then I will choose to believe them and leave the rest up to God. It is not my place to judge them. If they say No, then and only then will I know for sure that they are not a Christian.

Let your Yes be Yes and No be No.

DV, I am not purposely avoiding your challenge. I honestly have given it a lot of time and thought. I just cannot do it. I do not have the time or resources to ask every single person under all the different denominational titles whether they are a Christian or not. The "short way" is to eliminate all the denominations that deny the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. That is just the same as a person answering "No". I would still then have to go to each and every person under the remaining denominational titles and ask them what they believed. I suspect you would find a mixed variance of answers in all of the remaining denominations.

I personally, do not hold the title of any one denomination. I am sure that many people could place me in any which one. I need not any of those titles. I only need to admit that I believe in Christ, His Word, and His death and resurrection and that I have submitted my life to Him and follow through with it. What people call me from here on out, is entirely up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back