Christian Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razi_Alaster said:
I personally, do not hold the title of any one denomination. I am sure that many people could place me in any which one. I need not any of those titles. I only need to admit that I believe in Christ, His Word, and His death and resurrection and that I have submitted my life to Him and follow through with it. What people call me from here on out, is entirely up to them.

Well said Razi, and although I personally agree with you, I know of several Christians on this board that would refuse your definition of a Christian.

The reason being, if they accepted that definition (which they themselves fall into) then they would have to accept ALL people as Christians that feel like you do. This includes Catholics, Mormons, et al.

I have to object about the inclusion of Seventh-Day Adventists. While they disagree on several fronts (Sabbath, Sleep until the return of Christ, etc.) with "mainstream conservative evangelical thinking", I don't think it's fair to boot them from "the Christian circle" any more so than it would be to do that to United Methodists (I grew up as one, I can say this and get away with it ;)).

As someone who isn't an Adventist who attend an Adventist school for a few years I can say with some certainty that Adventists, or at least the Adventists I know, truly love Christ and hold Scripture in the highest regard.

As to which denominations are Christians and which ones aren't, I think I have to echo the sentiment of the others here in that it's not our place to decide that.

Personally, I do not believe categorizing denominations is a good method of determining much at all. I think each individual should be judged individually, and not by what denomination he/she is in or appears to be in. Regardless of what group a person belongs to, that person's beliefs and views are his/her own.

MeridianFlight said:
I have to object about the inclusion of Seventh-Day Adventists. While they disagree on several fronts (Sabbath, Sleep until the return of Christ, etc.) with "mainstream conservative evangelical thinking", I don't think it's fair to boot them from "the Christian circle" any more so than it would be to do that to United Methodists (I grew up as one, I can say this and get away with it ;)).

As someone who isn't an Adventist who attend an Adventist school for a few years I can say with some certainty that Adventists, or at least the Adventists I know, truly love Christ and hold Scripture in the highest regard.

As several Christians on this board have already shown, truly loving Christ and holding scripture in the highest regard isn't enough to be considered a "true" Christian. The problem with the second part comes from interpretation.

As to which denominations are Christians and which ones aren't, I think I have to echo the sentiment of the others here in that it's not our place to decide that.

Yet Christians make those judgements every day.

Azzie said:
Personally, I do not believe categorizing denominations is a good method of determining much at all. I think each individual should be judged individually, and not by what denomination he/she is in or appears to be in. Regardless of what group a person belongs to, that person's beliefs and views are his/her own.

I disagree. It IS a good method, but admittedly, it's not the best.

I say it's good because it gives us all a starting point to begin our understanding of that individual's beliefs. Knowing one Christian is a Mormon and another a Roman Catholic sets expectations from the get go. It's simply a start.

But as I said, it's not the best. Not all Roman Catholics believe the exact same thing, just as not all Mormons believe the exact same thing. That's why I agree when you say that an individual's beliefs and views are his/her own.

This is also my largest problem with Christianity. If there's one Christ and one God, shouldn't all Christians believe the exact same things?

MeridianFlight said:

Yes, there are some Christian Denominations or should i say "cults" that completely twist the bible around. While i agree that we shouldn't judge the methods some denominations e.g. Methodist, Protestant, there are some denominations that mess around with Gods word. Seventh Day's Adventists believe that 1844 was when Christ entered the holy of holies. Some believe that Ellan G. White was a messenger from God or prophet. They do not believe in hell/hades. They believe that Christian took our human nature. They believe Satan will take the sins of the people. There are more but these are the major ones more or less. They may not be as bad as Jehovah's witness but i would definately consider them on the borderline as they did twist the words of the bible around. Of course according to my logic, Roman Catholics would barely make the mark if at all.

All of the denominations listed have some doctrinal error somewhere. Some have way more than others. But I think that someone who belongs to any of those denominations can be a Christian, but if they are, God will lead them to a church with Biblical doctrine.

Snake_Six said:
All of the denominations listed have some doctrinal error somewhere. Some have way more than others. But I think that someone who belongs to any of those denominations can be a Christian, but if they are, God will lead them to a church with Biblical doctrine.

I don't belong to any demonimation, so i guess that doesn't apply to me?

Snake_Six said:
Do you at least attend a church?

As a matter of fact i do, a non -denomination one. We don't have a method of doing this and that and blah blah blah. There's a difference between different methods of worshipping God and conducting service, baptism ect... and worshipping DIFFERENT Gods. Ex: Methodist and Prostestant. While they may have different ways of doing things, their main belief is still the same. Ex: Roman Catholism worships other Gods, which the bible clearly states not to do.

Hmmmm said:
As a matter of fact i do, a non -denomination one. We don't have a method of doing this and that and blah blah blah. There's a difference between different methods of worshipping God and conducting service, baptism ect... and worshipping DIFFERENT Gods. Ex: Methodist and Prostestant. While they may have different ways of doing things, their main belief is still the same. Ex: Roman Catholism worships other Gods, which the bible clearly states not to do.

There goes the finger pointing again.

How can you expect anyone to take your argument seriously when you condemn finger pointing, then turn around and point fingers in the next breath?

Snake_Six said:
So long as your Statement of Faith is in agreement with the Bible you're all OK.:)

The bible does not give specific instructions on baptizing, holding a worship service ect.. Unless the bible clearly goes against the denominations' practices, it is fine.

Yeah, in my church there are some people who believe that baptizing should be done by pouring the water. I personally don't have a problem with it.
I perfer the dunking because I think it symbolizes Jesus pulling us out of our sin, but It's fine either way.

Dark Virtue said:
There goes the finger pointing again.

How can you expect anyone to take your argument seriously when you condemn finger pointing, then turn around and point fingers in the next breath?

Its called stating the facts, something you obviously should be familiar with.

Hmmmm said:
Its called stating the facts, something you obviously should be familiar with.

You are correct, I am quite familiar with what facts are. You, however, have yet to demonstrate any.

Facts are not subjective or open to interpretation.

Dark Virtue said:
You are correct, I am quite familiar with what facts are. You, however, have yet to demonstrate any.

Facts are not subjective or open to interpretation.

Notice i am talking on the christian side of the view here. If the bible says its wrong, its wrong. Period. I am not discussing with atheists on whether the morals of the bible are correct or whatnot. Unless of course, any christians want to go against the bible?

Unfortunately your entire side is subject to interpretation and translation.

Isn't that why there are so many sects of Christianity?

Dark Virtue said:
Unfortunately your entire side is subject to interpretation and translation.

Isn't that why there are so many sects of Christianity?

Catholics have their own bible. Does that answer your question? Yes, most of Christianity has different thoughts as to how to worship God, baptism, ect... But they all have the same base, belief in the trinity. Thats it, no more. One more thing that they all Believe. Don't go against the bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back