Church Prayer Request and Update.

Kahiel

I decided to break this off from my other prayer request thread. (As a side note, my wife is back to work and feeling better though she is still plagued by pain.)

As I stated in the previous thread, my church has been moving forward after having been stuck for the last five or six years. A little history; we began meeting at a local high school. It started with about twenty people and grew quite a bit the first year. Attendance went up and down over the years as pastors came and went about 13 years ago they called our previous pastor who moved the church from the school into a rented store front about ten years ago. The church promptly doubled in size and we (I started becoming involved around this time) expanded into the space next door and continued growing. At that point the pastor started looking for a building. We had many doors slammed in our faces (in one case the owners of the building next door took a bid lower than ours).

Last year our pastor resigned an took a church in PA. We called a new pastor just as we were finding some serious problems which came to light because the previous pastor left. We had a worship leader who didn't listen to Christian music who was also hiding the fact she had become a lesbian. A previous youth pastor had been accused of sexual assault but nothing had been done about it and the youth and their parents were ready to leave the church because of the current youth pastor. We had a guy leading a second Sunday night worship service in the evenings who didn't agree with our church theologically and was openly critical of the pastor and leadership team during service (turned out he was trying to form his own church from within ours).

God did a lot of house cleaning as we did as well. He gave us some awesome opportunities to minister to the community. Toward the end of Summer He also brought us the opportunity to lease to own a building for $800k which was on the market at $1.9 million. A definite praise. We hired an architect who had worked with us during the renovations at the store front and made plans to renovate the building. We signed the lease and began demo. The architect told us we wouldn't need building permits because it was a mostly cosmetic remodel. Just as we were ready to being construction we were told we needed to pull permits. So we began the paperwork to pull permits this is the point where we found out that we were going to need to either put in a fire suppression system in the entire building or we would have to erect a series of fire walls which would cut the sanctuary by a two thirds (from 700 seats to 300). This is obviously not an expense we had planned for.

Money has always been tight for us (more so than other churches) and hiring the previous youth pastor drained our savings. God provided an additional $9k from our denomination on Monday so he is definitely on the move. What we need prayer for is our pastor (Ed) because he has been working the building project and his other duties above and beyond (80 hrs a week) our congregation who are constantly asking questions and certain individuals who have been spreading rumors and gossip and for God's wisdom to let God take the lead and for us to see the doors he is opening. The enemy has found fertile ground for sewing the seeds of disunity.

Praise report! The owner has agreed to pay for the fire suppression system. Not sure when we'll start the construction but that is one more hurdle God has over come.

An update and bump for continued prayer.

The Sr. Pastor and the building manager signed with a contractor to put in the sprinkler. Now waiting for the government bureaucracy to issue the permits. I also dropped off a grant proposal with our denomination. Keep that process in prayer too. Thanks.

Update:

After going back and forth with the plans examiner he tells us that we will have a provisional building permit on Thursday. He still had about three pages of nit-picky little things (such as the location of the fire extinguishers) he wants from the architect. Mind you, we've submitted three sets of revised plans already, why he couldn't have asked for this stuff in set two is beyond me. The permit for the fire suppression system was ready over a week ago, but no one ever bothered to contact us or the contractor to let us know. Please pray that the plans examiner actually follows through this time, this is not the first time he's promised that we would be ready to go on a certain date.

Also, because we've been meeting at the Y, our attendance has dropped to 80 or so (from 120 to 150 when we were in our leased space). Offerings are down by over half. We need people to grow up spiritually and step up as people of God. We are planning on moving our worship services to the unused office space at the new church until the sanctuary is ready. Please pray that God would work through this transition and help mature our core people.

Updated request.

The guy who is supposed to be doing our electrical and plumbing work is a member of the church. For the past couple months he has been pretty much AWOL. He has a big job South of here, and his marriage is coming to an end. As such, we haven't gotten any of that work done and if we don't get someone on it now, we are going to be delayed waiting for this stuff to get done. So, I think there's going to end up being a showdown this week. Pray that God's hand will be at work on all those involved and that He would send us good, qualified help.

Another update.

The pastor finally tried to pin him down on a time line to get the work done (he hasn't done anything including pulling his permits) and he got mad and left the church. That's probably for the best. We have contracted with a plumber who will start tomorrow. We still need an electrician but once we get one it should only be a couple of weeks for us to start finish work on the sanctuary (once we pass inspections). Please pray for God's provision. This is another $10k we weren't planning on. God is good, and I rejoice looking forward to posting how He has met these needs.

Pray for us, we are getting our last "rough" inspection this week then we can start putting up the drywall, paint and carpet.

Pray for us, we are getting our last "rough" inspection this week then we can start putting up the drywall, paint and carpet.

We passed all inspections and can complete the construction now.

(Also found out that a lot of the problems we had previously were a direct result of the electrician/plumber who was going to do all the work for us. Don't know if it was intentional or not. Pray for him, he's gone through a lot of personal stuff and needs to get his life back together.)

We passed all inspections and can complete the construction now.

Praise God!

(Also found out that a lot of the problems we had previously were a direct result of the electrician/plumber who was going to do all the work for us. Don't know if it was intentional or not. Pray for him, he's gone through a lot of personal stuff and needs to get his life back together.)

Prayin

Back