Contraceptives in a Christian Marriage

100% of us are guilty. 99% won't admit it. :)

I'm with Odale in that it is open to interpretation. It's similiar to the meat/veggies thing, some wholly saved brothers don't think eating meat served to idols is right and so they don't do it. Extrapolate from there.

XD...funny...

Hehe it's absolutely true though. There are very few places in the Bible where no interpretation is necessary (i.e. the 10 commandments and a few other things).

Most of the Bible's information and "helpful tips" come from stories and the morals these stories convey. The origin of a story's moral is from ones interpretation of the story. In the end, it's all up to ones interpretation of the applicable verses to a particular topic.

Keero - In case you haven't noticed already (we're on the 5th page of responses) you're not going to get a single, concise, definite answer on this topic. The best you can do is pray about it and read the Bible for yourself and interpret what you think the correct answer is.

Hehe it's absolutely true though. There are very few places in the Bible where no interpretation is necessary (i.e. the 10 commandments and a few other things).

It is not absolutely true....in fact, your truth statement is open to interpretation as well. :) For example, I absolutely disagree with your understanding of the Bible as a book of "helpful tips" to be interpreted differently by everyone.

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree with your understanding of the Bible as a book of "helpful tips" to be interpreted differently by everyone.

I agree with Ewoks, however, the Bible says the only true interpretation is one from the Holy Spirit, which is something our puny little minds cannot come up with on our own...So if your interpretation isn't straight from the Holy Spirit, it is wrong foo! :D

It is not absolutely true....in fact, your truth statement is open to interpretation as well. :) For example, I absolutely disagree with your understanding of the Bible as a book of "helpful tips" to be interpreted differently by everyone.

When I said open for interpretation, what I meant was that it is easily interpreted differently from person to person. Perhaps I should have used better fitting words, heh.

It's easily interpreted in different ways because of how vague it is. Like I said, the Bible is only specific in a few areas. The rest of the areas are filled with stories which have morals to them... which are interpreted differently.

Also, some versions of the Bible have more books than other versions of the Bible. I believe the Catholic Bible at one time (or currently, I'm not sure) has/had more books in it than the protestant Bible.

I acknowledge that the Bible is much more than a book of "helpful tips", I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought the quotations would help people see my sarcasm there... :) Nevertheless I apologize.

Anyway, the Bible is definitely interpretable in many ways... the evidence is everywhere... Catholicism, Greek Orthodox, Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian.....

The evidence for this is in the form of church denominations and personal beliefs... they're everywhere.

Last edited:
Also, some versions of the Bible have more books than other versions of the Bible. I believe the Catholic Bible at one time (or currently, I'm not sure) has/had more books in it than the protestant Bible.
It currently has more.

Once again a religious forums topic goes crazily off course....

Once again it comes back to the Bible.

Amazing.... :p

Oh.

Keero, I believe birth control is most forms is acceptible to the Christian life.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that birth control is limiting God's ability to create children. In my opinion that makes for a small God.

Also, can I tell you about the number of people I know with birth control kids?

Or reverse, the pain of many families with no children.

Dude, Just do what Er in the book of Genesis did....Oh wait, that didn't turn out very well....but seriously, I personally don't see anything wrong with contraceptives. This is something you have to listen to your own heart about.

I don't really know much about this, I'm only 19 years old and am single(yes I have practiced abstinence all my life, plan to remain so until my death or until marriage, probably death because I like the single life better) but I'll throw in my 2 cents if I may....

I'd say that as long as the method you use does not use any abortive measures or would risk in an abortion, then it might be OK. However, stuff that is abortive is definitely wrong.

However, for those who are single and considering marriage, I would consider waiting until you're financially on your feet until looking for a mate, since I think living a single life is probably cheaper than living as married.

Back