curator strat

Daire

Ive read and watched a bunch of youtube things about this fight. The strat. that we were doing last night is not one that is suggested at all by people who have completed the fight. (although it may work for others) This fight can be healed by a holy pally and holy priest alone. It is a dps/healing gear check. As this strat. suggests, this is a gear check -- which is a little hard because we have had a lot of people come and go so loot is not just staying with us.

I knew I was having trouble getting the flares and heres why, they are not tauntable until they reach their destination (which is a random person). It is suggested you let them go where they are going to go and kill them there, instead of repositioning them. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Why do we nuke while the curator is evocating? While he is evocating he is taking 200% more damage, which is why we have a lock or locks putting doom on him at the 50% mana (or 1 min mark) I can make several enchanted leather and mail pieces which have arcane resis. on them, so talk to me if you are interested.

The Curator is a big gear check; he will summon a Flare every 10 seconds that drains some of his mana. The Flares spam chain lightning for nature damage (around 700 a tick) to anyone within range and all dps should be focused on killing these adds. The flares are not governed by normal agro rules. When they spawn they will random target a person in the raid and fly towards that person until within melee range. Once a flare has reached his destination, it will then be susceptible to conventional agro.

The Curator will summon these Flares until he is out of mana, at that point he will go into a weakened state taking 200% damage from all attacks until his mana is full. When Curator goes into a mana regeneration state your raid should kill all available Flares and quickly focus on DPS on Curator until he regenerates his mana.

This will repeat until his health is down to 10%, at 10% he will enrage, a few things will change. He is now unable to summon his Flares; he casts Hateful Bolts much quicker and takes 200% damage from all attacks.

All raid members should be kept above 4000 health at all times, when an add spawns all DPS should be on them or we will quickly get overran by them. When he goes into his weakened state or enrages everyone.

Positioning

You’ll want your DPS classes towards Curator on his sides. A good rule of thumb is to put the a Warlock and Mage on either side of Curator, a Hunter and another ranged DPS class midway and the healers spread out furthest away from the Curator.

Tips

When the Curator goes into Mana regeneration state, have your priests use their Shadow Fiends. This should fully rejuvenate your priest’s mana pool if done properly.

The easiest thing for melee DPS while killing the Flares is to allow the Flare to go to his destination and then dps the Flare down in place rather then repositioning it. The only exception is the tank, we do not want a Flare on top of the tank for more than a few seconds.

Warlocks should keep Dots on the Curator. Though the raid does not normally DPS Curator down while the Flares are alive, Warlocks can take off a chunk of the Curator’s health without lowering the DPS on the Flares. For this reason, a Warlock may do well with having at least 100 Arcane Resistance for the fight because the Hateful bolts will always hit the second person on the agro list which will generally be a Warlock.

As far as healing assignments go, a Paladin or Shaman makes a great healer for the melee that kill Flares. You want high heals to maintain the melee dps’s health rather then HoT’s from a Druid.

Roles

Main Tank / Off Tank
Maintain agro The Curator

Melee DPS
DPS adds, during weakened or enraged states DPS The Curator

Ranged DPS
DPS adds, during weakened or enraged states DPS The Curator

Healing Classes
Heals on MT, keep everyone in raid above 4000 health

very nice, thanks Holly for this. I spent some time looking at videos and strats again last night and this seems spot on.

We def need to spread out more as the chains hurt. Also, at least at first, I believe pets should be put away since they help form a link for the chain lighting to bounce btn characters.

I know we can do this fight. It is just a longish fight where everything has to go right, which can be done by our crew for sure.

Just curious, would it be beneficial to drop the pets on the boss right at the start? Bonus DPS until they die from chain lightning as the Flares pass?

And from every video I've seen, it's most important for the DPS to completely ignore the boss until the flares are down (except the locks, as stated above).

Positioning seems to be the one thing that we've really gotta work out. When I was healing, I kept having the Flares nuking me on the way to their target... meaning I was stopping to heal myself instead of healing the groups.

Lastly, being spread out seems to be the most important thing. The Flares AoE is a 15-yard max. If everyone is at least 15 yards apart, only 1 person will get hit by the lightning.

If anyone is interseted in mods, DeadlyBossMods (the old LaVendetta set) is awesome for stuff like this. It pops a little box and tells you if you are within 15 yards of another player. It's nice for when people move around behind you, you have a chance to spin your camera and look for an open spot as you continue to nuke. You can download it from Curse-Gaming.

Its actually not that long of a fight, it generally lasts about 2 evocations. So, I think that would be our goal eventually.

The other thing we were unaware of was that he enrages at 10% and casts hateful bolts which means 2nd threat should be me since I am a big sponge. So hopefully we get to see 10% tonight.

I haven't a clue who or what the curator is but if you need addt'l arcane resist, Wend can make an arcane resistant cape The Cloak of Arcane Evasion (76 armor, +12 Sta, 32 Arcane resist). Just FYI.

He spawns adds every 10 seconds, which means we have that much time to kill an add before the next one spawns. I really think this is mainly an adds control fight. Healers can use pots to make up for any lack they have in the gear department and like maiden we need to keep ppl topped off, especially the soaker. (The person who will absorb his hateful bolts) From what I read he targets a person with HB who has the highest health and who is not first on the threat list.

Evocation
Damage dealers should maximize their DPS output by all means during these phases. Some tips:

Save trinkets and all other one-use only DPS increasing effect for use during Evocations
Even holy Priests should DPS if their mana permits
Warlocks should precision-cast Curse of Doom so that they will go off during an Evocation
Paladin blessings should be optimized for mana or DPS, don't use Salvation

While learning this encounter all healers will find themselves using a lot of mana. Bring many mana potions, up to 5 per attempt can easily be consumed.

Priests - Using your Shadowfiend during an evocation vulnerability will restore twice as much mana. During Evocations even holy Priests should go all-out DPS if their mana permits. Shadow Priests will have an exceptional time not only damaging The Curator during his vulnerability, but also restoring health and mana to the priest's party with Vampiric Embrace and Vampiric Touch. The effect of these 2 abilities is also increased 200% due to the fact they rely on a percentage of damage dealt.

Druids - A bear form druid in DPS gear excels at controlling the Astral Flare spawns between Evocations. Stacking Mangle and Maul frontloads a high amount of threat on each new Flare, and will usually be enough to acquire aggro. At that point you can easily hold the flare still for melee and away from the casters/hunters/healers. Bear Form's high stamina also comes in very handy.

Balance druids should note that the Curator is immune to Arcane Damage (but not the flares). Use FoN & trinkets on boss when he evocates.

Here are a couple reasons I think a druid should be on the boss. When he evocates, I am no longer taking damage. I can come out and heal myself, innervate, and rez if I need to(so thats actually three pretty good reasons). When I change out to my dps gear to tank I dont have as high stamina, Ive been told rogues are also very handy to put on flare duty.

You can do all 3 if you are fighting the adds to, since during the evocate he does not spawn adds. That is IF we can get add #10 dead fast enough, or just ignore that last one and let some other dps class kill it while you heal/inervate etc. Though it is much easier for you to be on the boss to get this done and he doesn't hit you as hard as he hits blue.

Dealing with adds is the most important part of this fight and the most challenging.. along with positioning and the hateful bolt sponge. We need adds dead fast, within 10-15 seconds. (If we are a little late..we can play catch up some...) As soon as an add shows up, every bit of dps we have should be on it. Don't wait until it gets to it's destination so it can be taunted. We need to Start fireing on it as soon as we see it, since you can't aggro it off it's initial target before it gets to them.

Rogue tanking..them with nice stam and dps might work.. a fury warrior..maybe even better.. How we are tanking them now is ok, we just need to work more on our execution of managing the adds/positioning.

What I noticed was that people were waiting until the flare reached its destination to start damage. Tab target until a flare shows and start dps immediately. This will help.

To get through the curator fight, reflexes (targeting the flares quickly) will play a part as will the quality of our gear.

I can only help the cloth wearers in the group (what's that silly plate/leather stuff?), but here's a few tips. I thought I had enough +damage in my gear, but boy was I wrong. From what I've been reading, casters need to have around +700 - +800 damage. Since last Monday I've been working on getting my gear up to par and added an extra +100 spell damage from where I was. I'm still working on a few items though.

So how do you increase your +damage? Besides the basic Karazhan drops, gem upgrades, etc. here's a few craftable items that can help.

Spellstrike Hood
Spellstrike Pants
Girdle of Ruination
Runic Spellthread

We can also stock up on potions to help us through the fight. According to Bosskillers here are the recommended potions per role:

Tank/Soaker
Flask of Titans (if needed), Elixir of Mastery, Well Fed (+stamina), Blessing of Kings, and standard raid buffs.

Melee
Elixir of Major Agility, Well Fed (+stamina), Blessing of Kings, Dampen Magic, and standard raid buffs.

Ranged DPS
Flask of Supreme Power (if needed); Adept's Elixir; Well Fed(+damage or +agility), Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Kings, Dampen Magic, and standard raid buffs.

Healers
Mana per 5 consumables, Elixir of Major Healing, Adept's Elixir, Elixir of Mastery, Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Kings, and standard raid buffs.

I know we haven't been putting dampen magic on the raid. That's something the mages can try next round.

More information on the Curator fight can be found here:
Curator Strategy Guide

(whew think I'm done now)

Excellent post, thanks for the info. I think early dps on the flares would help a lot in this fight as well as the changes listed above.

How about Dampen Magic on the healers? It seems that get as much agro from the flares as anyone else.

Also, for a targetting macro, we may need to use /tar arcane. /tar flare brings up a mob on a different level.

Curator

Seems like we are still stuck somewhere around 50-60% on him. In part, it's because we have never really had 3 full on healers. (That I can recall)

1 Nicely geared MT
3 Full on healers: 1 on MT, 1 on adds tank, 1 on group and sponge.
6 dps, mostly ranged. (that could include some type of hybrid, tank dpsr.)

Flares have around 15,000 health I believe. If we do it with 5 dps and one full on off-tank for adds, that group needs to pump out 1,500dps. (10 seconds to kill, 8 sec kill even better) That's 300dps per person. (If my horrible..math is right) If it is, surely each of our dps has 300 sustained dps.. so it must be targeting and contact delay. Both my fury warrior and under-geared rogue can pump that out easy.

As far as healing goes, if maiden is primarily a "Healing test".....test passed.
We just need 3 who have passed it. We certainly have the healing for this fight. Me, Renee, Wend, Randy (Holy specced). Any 3 of us, should be able to heal this if dps/tank is up to spec. I can have as much as 1700+ heals, over 12k intel and 127+ regen in combat without consumables.

Until we learn this fight: Adds management, manna efficiency: making sure manna pets are out during evoc, over-healing under control etc etc.., we need our best geared tank on Curator. I'd hate to make it to his enraged state (10-15% I believe) and not have our best geared tank, taking those enraged hits.

Having healed blue/lorin/Holly. Holly is by far the most mana efficient tank.
It's not a skill issue, just gear.

Have a look: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbguild/index.cgi?action=view_guide&guide_id=33&sid=QEosHKeCle

Danny

I think we need to work on making a core group who are geared and ready. I know I have worked hard to get my gear to where it is and im flattered to read this post.

I guess im wondering about the flares as well, is it the targeting issue that is holding us back? are people not seeing the flares, speak up so we can help!!

make a /target flare macro-- anything that will reduce your targeting by as much as a second if not more would really be great. Ive played with quite a few of you and I know the dps you are capable of!!! so we need to figure out whats going on! btw, I just wanted to point out as someone who was healing this time around, standing on the left side away from the dps seemed like it would be a good plan. I didnt get hit very much. (or atleast until everyone else died). Taking an arcane potion 1 min before starting fight absorbed damage i would have taken in the beginning as well. I was actually surprised at my +healing and the mana pool i had in the gear ive been saving, when I took a potion and fish sticks that bruce made, my +healing went over 1000 (it was surprising for me..anyway!!!) and my mana pool was steadily at 11k..ok enough babbling

It was suggested maybe flares are coming into hunters dead zones, if this is the case -- we need to move hunters, each on a side so if a flare is in one's dead zone, we are only eliminating one dps instead of two.

Dps - try using a new rotation including quicker spells, or a rotation that includes an instant spell(obviously not arcane spells though). we should aim for flares to come down at aprox 8-9 seconds. Obviously the quicker the better.

macro /target flare -- use tab targeting for quick targeting. the macro may cause you to target curator and we dont want that :)

until we get this fight down, bolt soakers need arcane resis. gear. I know anita got a piece tonight in mech. Im sure other guildies can make pieces. AR resis potions will lessen damage in the beginning as well, but should be careful as they may mess up your potion rotation.

I sure hope people are reading the forums who are going to karaz :) it becomes evident if you do not, this is to help us have a successful run!

Target flare wasn't working for me. It gets an ugly looking mob on another level for some reason. Tab targeting works fine however (assuming the Blizzard bug doesn't hit you).

Improved fireball takes 3 seconds to cast, followed by fire blast (instant). Usually I can get the flare down to half with that combo. If everyone else is focus firing quick, the last half shouldn't be too difficult to get down.

Daire said:
until we get this fight down, bolt soakers need arcane resis. gear. I know anita got a piece tonight in mech. Im sure other guildies can make pieces. AR resis potions will lessen damage in the beginning as well, but should be careful as they may mess up your potion rotation.

The big question is...if LtFerrion isn't there, who is our soaker? We need to equip one person with huge HP to soak. The absolute best option would be an off-tank, preferably someone that has the ability to wear plate... but when you're soaking, it doesn't matter if it's cloth...so find the highest AR+Stam combo you can find in any armortype...

I know a few of us have discussed the issue of trying to get a more regular offtank... this would be a good time to equip that person.

I can make the Soulcloth Gloves (24 Stam, 35 ArcResist); I have the soulcloth in my bank due to donations from a few guildies.
I also have a necklace (28 Stam, 18 AR) just sitting in my bank.

If we're outfitting a new soaker, let me know and I'll pass those along. I can't remember if it's Anita or Mike, but one of them has another Soulcloth recipe. I'm guessing that our Leatherworkers and Blacksmiths have more pieces that they can make, as well.

Back