Do you believe my Atheistic views are unreasonable?

Dark Virtue

Before you answer, please keep in mind the differences between strong atheism and weak atheism and the position that I uphold (weak).

I ask this question to determine WHY some of you think my stance is unreasonable.

Keep in mind that I base my beliefs on logic, reason, evidence and proof. The sum of each of those things, throughout my life, has left me lacking enough to clearly, undeniably believe in God, or any gods for that matter.

Many of you ardently assert that you, personally, have been given enough to warrant your belief in God.

I can honestly say that I do not. Now I know there are some of you that are just chomping at the bit to declare that, indeed, I have and I'm simply deluding myself because I harbor some ill will towards God and am using this to disbelieve in him. I assure you that I am not.

Whatever your answers are, I ask that you back them up with reason. If you think I am a liar, please tell me why. If you believe that I am being unreasonable, tell me why. If you think I'm delusional, tell me why.

Thank you.

First you are not an Atheist.

You are the classic agnostic. It is ok. Admit it.

Dark Virtue said:
Keep in mind that I base my beliefs on logic, reason, evidence and proof. The sum of each of those things, throughout my life, has left me lacking enough to clearly, undeniably believe in God, or any gods for that matter.

Second, logic is not universal, reason is subjective, evidence is incomplete and proof is undefinable.

So, good luck with trying to define anything in life.

What does that leave you with? Faith.

All of us have faith in different things. Your faith is in you and your mind. If you are ok with that then I am. I am not comfortable having faith in my mind that I KNOW IS NOT correct at times.

But, I do not think you are unreasonable.

But, I do think you often stir up the pot with thoughts you don't even believe. That is what I personally do not like.

My answer to your question has already been answered. Check the post called "Are you this???" at the bottom of page 3.

Icthus said:
First you are not an Atheist.

You are the classic agnostic. It is ok. Admit it.

Your basis for this assesment is what?

You make it sound like this is something I am, but am denying. Why do you think that?

Second, logic is not universal, reason is subjective, evidence is incomplete and proof is undefinable.

So, good luck with trying to define anything in life.

It's worked fine so far for humanity, no sense in ditching it now.

Why is logic not universal?

What does that leave you with? Faith.

All of us have faith in different things. Your faith is in you and your mind. If you are ok with that then I am. I am not comfortable having faith in my mind that I KNOW IS NOT correct at times.

As I have stated countless times, there is a difference between faith and Faith.

But, I do not think you are unreasonable.

Thanks!

But, I do think you often stir up the pot with thoughts you don't even believe. That is what I personally do not like.

Thoughts I don't believe in? I believe in every post I have made. Would you mind citing an example?

Jeshurun said:
My answer to your question has already been answered. Check the post called "Are you this???" at the bottom of page 3.

I believe I asked more than one question, would you mind addressing them all?

I feel you are not unreasonable, Logic and reason are powerful tools not to be down played. we can gauge the speed of light, and agree about certain truths. ie gravity, laws of physics and such. light spectrums and the such;being a computer geek myself, random and unexplainable events are rare and not the normal

You are being reasonable in your choice to not to commit until you have the eveidence or proof you need.

I could go on but I have answered your question

By all means, go on if you wish.

I'm open to suggestions. :)

PapaToad said:
I feel you are not unreasonable, Logic and reason are powerful tools not to be down played. we can gauge the speed of light, and agree about certain truths. ie gravity, laws of physics and such. light spectrums and the such;being a computer geek myself, random and unexplainable events are rare and not the normal

You are being reasonable in your choice to not to commit until you have the eveidence or proof you need.

I could go on but I have answered your question

ChickenSoup said:
By the way... I think that your stance is unreasonable because your beliefs go against the Bible.

Thank you for that totally unreasonable response. :)

It's kinda hard to believe in God based on the Bible because you don't believe in the bible because you don't believe in God based on the lack of evidence/reason to do so.

The Bible can't support God because the Bible says so. That's a logical fallacy (circular reasoning).

:p Excuse me but you only asked one question in which you only posted as a topic. The only question I see is "Do you believe my Atheistic views are unreasonable?":rolleyes: My answer is in that post called "Are you this???" at the bottom of page 3. :D Funny I don't see any other questions or even question marks in your post. So what are you talking about?:confused:

I find strong atheism thoroughly unreasonable. I find weak atheism mildly unreasonable. I find Deism mildly unreasonable as well.

I do not find agnosticism unreasonable at all. I do, however, think it is a bit wimpy to simply not choose anything when given a choice. Pascal's Wager, you know. But that's just me and certainly doesn't extend past my cerebral cortex.

If you're looking to test the rational consistency of your beliefs, try Battleground God.

And if you're looking to challenge your beliefs, no matter what they are, read the works of David Hume. He'll never make you so unsure of knowing anything in your life. The greatest skeptic, in my opinion.

Last edited:
DV, I would have to personally know you, to know if your bieng sincere on your view of life. Since I don't, I can't say. I think you should ask God if you are bieng unreasonable.

On the other side, I see your view on Christianity is narrow if you compare it your view on any other topic. ( Satanism thread would be one small example)

I do want you to know, your in my prayers :)

Yes, I believe you are being thoroughly unreasonable.

We cannot base belief in God on our thoughts, feelings, science falsely so called, or any happenings in our lives. We must take Him at His Word. Our heart, or "intellectual honesty" will oftentimes prove dishonest. Having faith in God is as honest as you could ever get with yourself, and that is honesty that covers every realm.

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9

If you study the Bible and Christianity through the ages, including those who have done deceitful things in the name of Christianity that could destroy it, it is amazing that it has lasted.

Sad that even the word Christian is watered down today. It is no accident, the enemy is of the world and would destroy anything Godly if he could. Since he cannot, he just makes an attempt to mock it and dilute it. Being a "true" or "false" Christian is a misnomer, for Christianity is the only one that has The Living Saviour Jesus Christ.

Have you ever read Foxes Book of Martyr's or taken a close look at Hebrews 11? These precious saints knew, that they knew, that they knew! They truly had evidence of things not seen...that being a true heart knowledge. True heart, intellectual honesty...a heart and mind willing to humbly bow and proclaim, "Lord, I believe, help thou my unbelief!"

The Bible is filled with promises. He promises that if we draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to us. He promises to never leave nor forsake us. With all due respect, one who does not believe, has chosen not to believe.

I could never deceive God if I tried, I would never desire to do so. But I often wish that I could weep for every request that I make to Him. For it seems to me that every weeping, end of my rope, crying petition, gets immediate results. Just continue to wrestle with Him, humbly desiring to know Him, and do not give up! He is our Father and it is okay to go to Him with doubt, questions, and every concern...He has all the answers!

Our morals were placed by God as was our ability to choose. No matter how good we desire to be, there is always a fight. The flesh and Spiritual realm are very real. It has been described as a good dog and bad dog, quite simply, the one that we feed is the one that is going to win. You are a very determined man, oh that you would take that determination with every ounce of your being, drag that good dog to the Well of Living Water and force him to drink!

I also wanted to share with you the words of Solomon:

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones. Proverbs 3:7,8

King Solomon in all his glory knew that he was but a little child in comparison to the all powerful knowledge of God. I Kings 3:7 I think even before he had asked for wisdom he already had a measure, perhaps due to blessings upon his father who wanted to build a place for the LORD. Solomon must have discovered the secret that the true place to build for God was upon ones own heart.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6

To the world it must seem foolish and unreasonable to believe in someone that cannot be proven...but that makes me ponder, neither can they disprove, yet it seems somehow easier to believe for them. It is most reasonable to come to God as a little child, with childlike faith and trust, for it is then we become truly wise and knowledgeable. To deny God's existance is simply foolish.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, Romans 1:22

...to say He cannot be proven makes Him a liar, for He states that He is written upon our hearts:

For the invisivle things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse; Romans 1:20

Marcylene said:
...to say He cannot be proven makes Him a liar, for He states that He is written upon our hearts:

For the invisivle things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse; Romans 1:20

Hey, if you can see invisible things that I can't, more power to you.

I, however, can not see the invisible.

Let's look at the previous verses:

" 18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them."

Are you saying that my godlessness and wickedness supresses the truth of the existence of God? Sorry, but I see nothing plain about God's existence. This isn't insolence, it's frustration. My godlessness prevents me from knowing God, but I can't know God because of my godlessness.

Back